Montanaro

Reaction score
041009-N-7286M-089.jpg

De
lta Formation
V.1
By: Montanaro

Download Delta Formation V.1

Hey yall, this is my first uploaded formation that I've shared publicly on FMBase. I haven't had a chance to fully test the tactic, but so far it's worked well. I started using it in my Hansa Rostock save after I became fed up with my previous tactic which found me in 10th place in the Bundesliga with 8 games left to play. I switched to the Delta Formation and climbed all the way to 5th and earned Euro honors!

The Delta Formation

My thought process when creating this tactic was to develop a system that utilized as many midfielders as possible. My personal philosophy when it comes to tactics (in all sports games and even war games) is to use units or players who can perform various functions. I often find that some of the best regens are CMs who can mark pass tackle and do a little of everything. This formation allows you to build team depth and often allows you to interchange the CMs with the AMs and the AMs with the Strikers.

This formation is a twist on a previous formation I was developing...the "Hour Glass" (2 Dms/1 CM/2 AMs). The Delta Formation utilizes two deep lying CMs who win the ball and provide extra defensive cover for the aggressive wingbacks. These two CMs are "deep lying playmaker" and "Ball Winning Mid", but within my formation I have morphed them both into the same role!

Overall this formation is capable in all aspects of the game. It can do very well when trying to keep possession, and it's also dangerous on the counter.

Positions OverView

GoalKeeper: Standard Goalkeeper set to distribute to the defensive line. This greatly improves possession %

Centeral Defenders: Standard DCs with no freedom but will occasionally look to make a deep cross. Feel free to try the Destroyer/Coverer strategy; I'm sure it would work fine but I don't have the players for it at Hansa Rostock.

WingBacks: Support duty who get forward and try to beat their man but who will not get too far forward when not in possession which improves defensive stability. They are set to very limited closing down in order to prevent them from getting beaten on the flanks. They are the only players who guard the last 1/3 on the flank, getting beaten often means a free cross into the box (I had big issues with this when I played with high closing down) I highly suggest that you do not tinker with the closing down setting (unless you reduce it further!)

Deep Lying Cms: These guys provide passing options for both your defenders and your attackers. They will break up opponent attacking moves and are the sturdy foundation for any build up play. If your team gets bogged down in your opponents box, these guys sit just deep enough to provide an open passing option to draw out markers and open up space. Players for this roll are also sometimes adequate as sidebacks and CBs which provides added team depth

Central Playmaker: This fella has full creative license in central midfield, as you will see in the following screenshots. He eats space and is allowed to choose what he thinks is the best option for the team. He makes killer passes, scores long shots, charges into the box as an extra attacker, or drops deeper for support. Often times this player will also be an accomplished AMC, which creates added depth to your squad.

AMC/Second Strikers: I consider these two players to play in a Hybrid Role. They are not quite AMCs, they are not quite Strikers, and they are not quite AM Wingers. They have just enough creative freedom and the right instructions to act as 3 roles within 1. These guys can score and provide by the boat load and having them swap with each other makes it that much harder on the opposing Defense. As mentioned with other roles, these players are often accomplished as Strikers and MCs, allowing you to plug and play them where you need them.

Advanced Forward: The Focal Point of the Squadron. He is set up similar to "INickStuffs" Target man. However he does not have to fit any particular striker mold. I've had success with speed demons in the role, and I've had success with tall strong headers. Which ever type of striker you prefer is the one you should use! This formation provides enough crosses to head in and enough through balls to run onto. Personally I go for a well rounded striker who is at least 180cm.

In Game Screenshots

Here are a few screenshots from my recent match against an admittedly lower reputation Mainz team. My team were showing what this tactic was capable of and led to some perfect screenshot examples

View attachment 198267

In this picture, the ball was just cleared from the opponents box when John Garba recovered it. You can see the two CMs (Almost DMs) about 40 yards deep just ahead of the CBs. These guys provide a solid strong base to pass backwards to. Boussoufa who is the Playmaker/Dictator can be seen sitting in the middle of the pitch just begging for the ball. Yaya Sanogo is fully forward just ahead of the two AMCs/Second Strikers. In this play "Boss" Boussoufa received the pass as the AMCs dropped into space. Boss took a long shot that just missed.

View attachment 198268

In this one, my RB Opare is driving down to the byline. The nearest AMC Giovinco is exploiting space left by the opponent while Yaya Sanogo is looking to connect on a cross. The Furthest AMC to the left of Sanogo is also exploiting space left by Yaya creating a 2nd crossing option. "Boss" is once again providing support in space with the intent of long shooting or dribbling at the defense should he get the ball. The two deep lying CMs are also marked which opens even more space. The deep CMs provide passing options for "Boss" and often provide support on the touchline for the sidebacks.

View attachment 198269

And lastly here is an example of the AMCs pretending to be second strikers, almost on line with Sanogo up front. The sidebacks are bursting into space while "Boss" exploits free space in the middle with his two deep CMs supporting his move.

AMC Specific Marking-Please Take Note!

This is fairly important nuance that allows this formation to fire on all cylinders. You wouldn't buy an Audi R8 (or a Blue Angels F-18?) and put 87 octane in it, would you? No you'd give her 93 at least!

Right before a match after you've done your teamtalk and Opposition Instructions, go to your Tactics screen and set the AMC/L to specific mark the DR/WBR and set the AMC/R to specific mark the DL/WBL.

This is important for a few reasons

1. Limits opponents passing options (has a hard time passing back and usually has to pass the ball into the center of pitch where your 3 CMs are waiting)

2. Provides Width on Counter Attacks

3. Allows the AMs an opportunity if receiving the ball out wide and to a. Quickly dribble by RB/LB since or b. Connect on a through ball in the channel between sideback and center back.

4. When in Possession the AMCs play narrower (because they don't mark opponent when their team has the ball) but on counters they play wider (because they were marking someone when ball was won). This effectively provides two simultaneous strategies. Automatic Width on Counters and Narrowness for maintaining possession.

Example:

View attachment 198270

You can see Giovinco at the top left of the screen marking the Left Back completely out of the play. One of the deep lying CMs goes over to tackle the ML who panics without having an option to pass back, and hoofs the ball to the center of the pitch where my defender intercepted and started a counter attack by passing deep to my AMCL #8 (random regen)

Essentially the AMCs can act like wingers, so you get the best of both the AM mentality and the winger mentality.

Preferred Player Attributes

GK: The Standard Goalkeeping attributes (reflexes, aerial ability, handling etc...nothing special)

Center Backs: Standard defender attributes (marking, tackling, heading) pace, however, is fairly important but changing the line depth is acceptable.

SideBacks: Highest Importance- Dribbling, Crossing, WorkRate, Stamina, Pace, Acceleration
Medium Importance- Marking, Tackling, Heading, Positioning, Off the Ball, Strength

DeepLying CMs: Highest Importance- Marking, Tackling, Heading, Bravery, Aggression, Strength
Medium Importance- Passing, Positioning, Stamina, Decisions

CM Playmaker: Highest Importance - Passing, Stamina, Creativity, Decisions, Teamwork, Dribbling
Medium Importance - Technique, First Touch, Concentration, Long Shots, Flair

AMC/Second Strikers: Highest Importance - Finishing, Technique, First Touch, Dribbling, Pace, Accel, Passing
Medium Importance - Crossing, Composure, Off The Ball, Long Shots, Agility, Creativity

Advanced Forward: Highest Importance - Finishing, Composure, First Touch, Technique, Heading, Off The Ball
Medium Importance - All physical stats, Anticipation, Passing
Cherry on Top- Aggression; this is hard to find on some strikers (especially regens) but can be a deciding attribute in whether the player wins the header or muscles the opponent off a through ball.

Opposition Instructions

Do as you wish here, just remember to specific mark the opponents defensive wingers.

Team Talk

Do as you wish, I believe there are a couple good Team Talk guides on this forum if you need help

Field Size

I've had the most success using standard. Too wide of a pitch will leave too much room for only two wing players to cover

Shouts

None, they have little effect since I've customized most player's sliders. Feel free to pause and go into tactics and change the tempo, width, line depth, or time wasting depending on the circumstance.

---

I'm open for comments and criticism, no tactic stays the same forever.

I also plan on attempting a similar tactic with FM12.

Last edited:
It's designed to be used by anybody.

As long as you have enough midfielders in your squad you should be fine.

really like the shape of this formation, will def try it in FM12!

great OP :)

I'm sold! Sounds like a great tactic to try with Dortmund or Stade Rennais, I think I'll give it a go once it's online.