Morecambe - One last hoorah before the new FM

gazEdanger

Reaction score
As i'm sure EVERYONE is aware, the new FM is only a matter of weeks away. Once the 30th of October comes i'm sure our lives will be again devout to a new version of the game and all the goodness it brings with it.

I decided to play one last game before the new one comes at, as i'm sure a lot have people have decided to do too. Maybe it's a mechanism to gain some closure for the impending end to FM09? Anyway, my first game on FM09 was with Morecambe and I got them into League 1 in 2 seasons but lo and behold the game crashed/corrupted and that game was no more.
I suppose it's only fitting to have my last game as Morecambe too.

I'm actually at the end of November now so these screens aren't in no real chronological order.
So I shall begin...

Took over and thought I would be good to the current Morecambe lads and keep everyone near enough, exept Frasier McLachlan who in real life gets injured every time he plays anyway so I thought he may as well go with the wealth of midfield talent available to me.
He went to AFC Wimbledon for a mere 2k but least he was off the wage budget.

I was initially 2k under budget and I didn't see the need for bringing in too many new face, just a case of getting cover and competition amongst the ranks.

My transfers in comprised of Ciaran Foy from Bohemians on loan and he is going to be back up for McStay at RB. Dutch maestro, Jordy Brouwer makes his way from Liverpool on another season long loan, intended to be back up for Mullin and Jevons. And finally my last loanee, Adam McGurk from Villa. McGurk is an AM/FC who looks fairly decent at finishing and would again provide back up.

Free transfers were next on the agenda and the signing of Clint Easton, former Norwich full back who looked better than League 2 standard so I snapped him up. I also managed to find a keeper called Gabriel Sava languishing on a free, too. Italian keeper who doesn't look too bad, although my Assistant rendered him useless. He would be 3rd choice keeper.

I didn't really plan on anymore buys but I briefly looked at the trialist's match and saw a 17 year old called Adam Smith, a Spanish lad with a somewhat English sounding name, by the way of Toulouse scored a couple. He looked decent for his age so I quickly got him as prospect and loaned him out to neighbouring Barrow to link up with Aaron Taylor, another Morecambe lad who looks to have a bright future. Also playing in that game was an Irish lad called Foley. Decent technically and no slouch either so I brought him in, much to the delight of local Legend, Jim Harvey.

So those were the ins and outs of a relatively quiet summer. A couple of scouts were signed up and sent to France and Holland to find some top talent.

Pre- Season went well with me playing Barrow, Kendal, Blackburn Reserves, Newcastle and Gillingham, respectively. Barrow and Kendal were far too weak and I won 4-0 both games. Blackburn was a good game with me winning 2-1 courtesy of a Jevons brace and Newcastle dominated me 3-0 with their first team out. The Mighty Gill drew 2-2 with me with Jackson running rings round my defence all game.

So the start of the season was upon us. I was drawn against Oldham at home in the League Cup and a first game away at in Yorkshire with the mighty Bantams. Who would come on top? What will my new signings turn out like?

If you want to hear more of this historic last game, I would like to know. If you do I will continue in the same vain. If not, well.. I wont :)

Good luck with this mate, looks a good read so far.

Great read really interesting. Good luck for this season!

too much writing lol

Yeah, i'll give you that, mate. I tend to write a **** of a lot. My stories are like War & Peace, just less interesting.

I had decided at the start of the season that I didn't want to over complicate tactics and knew in such a low division, the simpler the better. I basically decided I would do a 4-4-2 Standard and just tinker to my needs.

First game brought Bradford who were season favourites to romp the league.
I wasn't terribly confident as Bradford seem to be somewhat of a bogey team for me and have been hard to beat in the past. The game was tight affair with limited chances and an even share of possession. I had a goal disallowed 30 minutes from time and then Bradford countered me with 10 minutes to play to ****** it 1-0, sub Leon Osbourne scoring for them.

Not the worst game for me as I would have thought I would have been hammered but held my own througout the game and simply just couldn't find the target.

On comes the League Cup and a superior Oldham team. This game was quality, it had everything a cup game should. The match ended 2-2 and went through to penalties where it went 20-20 before my keeper stepped up for the second time and shanked it high and wide.
Good performance though and it gave me hope for the season.

For ease i'll just cut to the chase and update you where I am now and update it more regularly from now on.

Jordy Brouwer has proved to be an brilliant aquistion who has banged in 11 in 17. Who would have thought it with his poor finishing ability?
Duffy has also been a bit of a gem for me this year with numerous goals and assists.

Scouting has gone well and I found a decent RB from Go Ahead Eagles and a Turkish fella called Taktak or something. He's a AML who looks quality. I think he will be coming in in January when the window opens.

Bournemouth away next. What will Dean Court (Fitness First Stadium) hold in store for the bang in form Shrimps?

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13633

View attachment 13634

Before the Bournemouth game was the draw to the FA Cup. After a win over Darlo in the previous round I was hoping for a big game with a big club to get some money as the funds were rapidly depleting with a loss of 30+k each month. Drawn out of the hat, however, was Histon. Histon at home - I guess that would be an easy entry to the next round though so maybe a blessing in disguise.

Tough match with the Cherries where I could have easily drew or even lost. Anyway, I managed to scrape a 1-2 win courtesy of goals from Foley and sub Curtis.
Just a quick not aswell, Foley scored a goal after 40 seconds for me to break a previous record. Go Foley!

Grimsby away next where I played terrible. Maybe this was because arguably my two best players, Duffy and Brouwer were out but I was lucky to scrape a 0-1 win courtesy of a Jevons penalty late on. I'm getting slightly worried with the last two games being somewhat lucky wins. I guess you always hear that good teams win when they play badly. Lets hope this is the case here!

Top 3 clash at home next with Aldershot visitors to Christie Park.