St Requiem

Reaction score
Right so brief history I am just starting my second year with Southampton after a successful year, Finishing 1st in the premier league, winning the fa cup and runners up against Chelsea in the League Cup.

I have been battling to retain the majority of my squad all year as you can expect this with the form of all my players through the year. (James Ward Prowse, Wanyama, Morgan, Clyne, Bertrand and even Fonte) Good news I successfully managed this and they now all want to stay. I have to admit I did hurt my wage budget in doing this.

But now PSG have just come in with an offer for Morgan and after playing hardball with them I have squeezed every penny I think I can get out of them. £35m upfront £15m over 12 months and bonuses which could put the final fee upto £66m.

Problem is he is 100% my best CM, Ward-Prowse has come on leaps and bounds but I don't want to put the pressure on him to effectively control the midfield. I have Wanyama, Lucas Romero, Ward-Prowse and Reed has just returned from a successful loan at Sheffield.

Do I sell or do I keep him for at least one more year whilst those 4 develop?

Money isn't really an issue I have been given a 40m transfer budget and i am using £23m of it to buy Depay my team is talented enough after that so will only be bringing in rotation players.

(I am a Southampton fan and losing Morgan irl hurt so this is why I am coming to you guys as my judgement is clouded)

£66m is not to be sniffed at and it would allow you a lot of freedom (depending how much of the transfer revenue you are allowed to keep) to spend on any area you like. But if you are saying he is your best player and you are now in Europe after winning the league I'm sure you are in a position to keep it all going and satisfy any ambition he has. Plus if money isn't an issue maybe don't sell unless he asks for the move.

(I'm a Man Utd fan and I'm excited to see how he does for us)

60% Transfer Revenue, we went into the red in February after I kept nagging the board for stadium expansion, upgrade training and more coaches.
He has asked to move on about 3 times last year I declined every time and after Man City's offer of £45m was turned down they lost interest and he decided he was happy to stay. I know I would get roughly £30m added on to my £40m transfer budget so I could buy a replacement but looking through my scout reports I can't find a straight up replacement and i'm worried I will be destroyed this year as i am coming into the second year slump.

( I promise he won't disappoint the UTD fans been watching him since league one and every year he has been on a different level. So glad he joined Utd over any of the others I am a bit partial to them as over 80% of my mates are fans.)

So for the sake of the club the money would be helpful, so maybe it is a case of no player is bigger than the club. And if he has asked to move a few times it may only be a matter of time before his morale drops and that affects the squad and then it's a pain. But if he will not cause a fuss you may be able to sell another player or two to help balance the books.

(I think he has looked class for the last few years so Utd are lucky to get him. I hope he adds something to the team)

Yeah I have to agree tbh my mind is telling me to sell but the little Southampton fan inside is screaming at me.
I just have to tell myself what would Les Reed of done with that offer and I know 100% he would accept it and find a replacement.

What formation are you playing and where about's does he play within it?

---------DLF(a )--------
--If(A )---------IF(a )--
--CM(S)----CM(Auto)--
---------HB(D)----------
FB(A )--CB---CB--FB(A )

Morgan is playing in the CM(S) role alongside Ward Prowse, he has player instructions to use riskier passes.

I would of thought Wanyama would be more than suitable for that role next to Ward-Prowse. Is Romero playing as your HB?

Wanyama is good but i've been developing his passing as it is quite poor compared to the rest so i've been using him as back up to Romero in the HB position. I was thinking of pushing Romero up higher into the support but I might give Wanyama a chance.