TomWBAFC

Reaction score
I have a save with Chelsea, and I'm not doing to badly, i'm currently 2nd in the league but the amount of games i have where I'm getting 30+ shots and literally no more than 10 on target and only winning 1 - 0 or even losing is so unrealistic, especially when you have the likes of hazard, oscar, diego costa and Schurrle who are missing the chances that to me says there's something not right with the game. Also my wingers or any player who gets the ball out wide 9 times out of 10 they're shooting from ridiculous angles when all they need to do is put the ball across the box, yet again makes me not want to watch the matches. My final problem is again with the shooting i have players missing the easiest of chances and when i mean miss the ball is literally hitting the corner flag. I love this game but cant get my head around how bad the match engine is! Does anybody else have these problems?

I have a save with Chelsea, and I'm not doing to badly, i'm currently 2nd in the league but the amount of games i have where I'm getting 30+ shots and literally no more than 10 on target and only winning 1 - 0 or even losing is so unrealistic, especially when you have the likes of hazard, oscar, diego costa and Schurrle who are missing the chances that to me says there's something not right with the game. Also my wingers or any player who gets the ball out wide 9 times out of 10 they're shooting from ridiculous angles when all they need to do is put the ball across the box, yet again makes me not want to watch the matches. My final problem is again with the shooting i have players missing the easiest of chances and when i mean miss the ball is literally hitting the corner flag. I love this game but cant get my head around how bad the match engine is! Does anybody else have these problems?

80% of the posters before you...

so i'm defo not the only one, does anyone know of any updates that are coming up that are gonna sort these problems out?

Since the latest update, im having a lot less issues with the shots to goal percentages and even shot on target is better overall. Im finding it enjoyable now, with much better looking goals and less stupid goals conceded, obviously theres still issues but its an improvement imo.

Nope Ive had massive amounts of success with Chelsea.

I've actually just had a debate with miles Jacobson on twitter and he seems to think that the unrealistic match engine is fine lol

Its the worst match engine ive seen i been sitting there watching a game ive had like 25 shots they have 1 shot and score that normally happens around the 77th to 84th min they score so i feel your pain!!

I understand that games like this can happen but when I have a run of 4 games out 5 being a draw and in everyone I've had 20+ shots it's so unrealistic! I'm not having a bad season with chelsea I'm unbeaten in countless games now but it's still so frustrating to watch sometimes.

Haha! Seen your 'debate' earlier! "The customer is always right" and "we pay your wages". Jesus mate, you sound so petulant saying that like! These results happen, they **** me right off too, just got to stay calm etc.
I probably did tbh pmsl but it's annoying when someone like that can't see that there is still issue with the match engine, it's not just about the amount of chances and possession that you get and not winning it's all the other things like the players shooting from out wide constantly and easy chances that strikers should be scoring constantly going stupidly wide! It's little things that bug me about the game that need looking into.

I understand that games like this can happen but when I have a run of 4 games out 5 being a draw and in everyone I've had 20+ shots it's so unrealistic! I'm not having a bad season with chelsea I'm unbeaten in countless games now but it's still so frustrating to watch sometimes.

So a lot like some of Chelsea's real life results then? I think you're being a bit unrealistic here, you're happy to be unbeaten, but when you go on a run of draws its unrealistic?

By the way, on average irl you win just 57% of the games in which you have more posession and 71 in which you have more possession and shots on target. So on average over 60 games you can expec to lose draw 18 of them, all things being equal, the key is being dynamic enough to turn those draws/losses into wins.

Last edited:
You might get 1 or 2 hotfix's from here but i wouldnt expect anything major, they've said no more updates. As they're onto pre-discussion of FM15 already.

You might get 1 or 2 hotfix's from here but i wouldnt expect anything major, they've said no more updates. As they're onto pre-discussion of FM15 already.

im sure they had the pre fm15 discussion about 1 and half years ago.

So a lot like some of Chelsea's real life results then? I think you're being a bit unrealistic here, you're happy to be unbeaten, but when you go on a run of draws its unrealistic?

By the way, on average irl you win just 57% of the games in which you have more posession and 71 in which you have more possession and shots on target. So on average over 60 games you can expec to lose draw 18 of them, all things being equal, the key is being dynamic enough to turn those draws/losses into wins.

I don't know about you but when on my game i'm getting players constantly hitting balls hopelessly wide from ridiculous angles when in the position they are in they should be hitting it across the box but they rarely do. Lets just hope they sort the match engine out for fm 15 haha.

I don't know about you but when on my game i'm getting players constantly hitting balls hopelessly wide from ridiculous angles when in the position they are in they should be hitting it across the box but they rarely do. Lets just hope they sort the match engine out for fm 15 haha.

I agree with mike, stuff like that happens in real life all the time so if anythin SI games strive for more realism has been very well done in the latest patch. Im not a big fan of people always going straight to the "ME" is at fault for draws or losses, just by chance do you read opposition reports before games? and see what formations etc they are decent against or what minutes they score/concede the most. I know its overly detailed for some people but personally i do for nearly every game and if say im against Newcastle and they have been scoring in the 40-45th min of the majority of their games i go defensive for this period even if im the far stronger team and it works in my experience. Little stuff like that can make a huge difference.

Also do you watch football in real life, players are always being selfish and taking pot shots and it going hopelessly wide as you put it, its frustrating when its the team you support as well but it happens. I think they have done well after fixing the goalkeeper errors and the less goals from set pieces its been far more enjoyable. Neway this just my opinion on it.

I agree with you on the Match Engine. The real problem started when a small group of people said "FM is EASY". There are no difficulty settings so SI have made FM14 hard by tweaking its Match Engine. So what do we get? Very unrealistic scorelines, human users team can dominate but likely not to win, why? The SCRIPTS kick in. After spending half a year home flat out on this game its easy to notice that AI teams are very lethal in font of goal. They get one chance & bang its in. Even small teams that come up against you turn into SUPERSTARS. Study AI shots/shots on target goal ratio & you will know what i am talking about. Its not much to do with tactics as sum claim, they use that excuse to protect the game when it CHEATS you. And you get your season scripted slump just to make things worse. That is how SI made FM14, to be hard, a challenge but it lost its realism

I agree with you on the Match Engine. The real problem started when a small group of people said "FM is EASY". There are no difficulty settings so SI have made FM14 hard by tweaking its Match Engine. So what do we get? Very unrealistic scorelines, human users team can dominate but likely not to win, why? The SCRIPTS kick in. After spending half a year home flat out on this game its easy to notice that AI teams are very lethal in font of goal. They get one chance & bang its in. Even small teams that come up against you turn into SUPERSTARS. Study AI shots/shots on target goal ratio & you will know what i am talking about. Its not much to do with tactics as sum claim, they use that excuse to protect the game when it CHEATS you. And you get your season scripted slump just to make things worse. That is how SI made FM14, to be hard, a challenge but it lost its realism
Wrong. Wrong in every single way. The ME doesn't differentiate between AI and human. If they're more lethal than you, that's something that you're doing wrong. You're either too open at the back or you're not efficient enough up front. There are no cheats that the AI uses, so get that nonsense out of your head and stop spreading myths.

Wrong. Wrong in every single way. The ME doesn't differentiate between AI and human. If they're more lethal than you, that's something that you're doing wrong. You're either too open at the back or you're not efficient enough up front. There are no cheats that the AI uses, so get that nonsense out of your head and stop spreading myths.
This post x100 . The biggest issue is when peple make up stuff that the game does when it doesn't I really cant stand misinformation, frankly I'm going to start removing such posts like "the games knows how to cheat" because it undermines other users learning to play the game.

I've gotta say that i think I was just frustrated with a run of games that wasn't going my way when i posted this thread, drawing 4 out of 5 games is a **** take especially when the amount of shot i had in each game was pretty high, in the same season i went on to win the premier league, capital one cup, fa cup and champions league! haha

It's not scripted but it's very predictable, the same scenarios play out, you can be Barca or Burnham no difference, John Smith will do what a Messi does and miss the exact same sitters.
It's pretty boring to watch and doesn't seen to have the flair of real life football. 3d graphics are trash. 1 of the funniest things about this game is the number of super beast mode double footed tackles on the box, it's as if they have never watched a football match at times, you simply cannot tackle like that from behind, out up the pitch maybe but in the box no.