Smurfychris

Reaction score
OK I really want to make my own tactic but I'm not sure where to start, does anyone have a solid back 4 setup that I can build off? And if not, which tactic is best defensively so I can dl that and use it as a template

That would depend on what team you are using and what formation you intend to play with as one would nor use the same setup using a narrow 4231 with City as one would with a 4141 with Wigan.

One of the best approaches to build from is a 451. Here, you have a DMC supporting your back.

That would depend on what team you are using and what formation you intend to play with as one would nor use the same setup using a narrow 4231 with City as one would with a 4141 with Wigan.

One of the best approaches to build from is a 451. Here, you have a DMC supporting your back.

OK cool that really makes sense about different approaches, so if I go with 4-5-1 do you have a solid starting point? I don't just mean like team tactics either bu the individuals to

You need to have different defensive strategies for different opposition. You also need to base the defence on your players, the formation and the attacking side of your tactics. Everything has to fit together.

Slightly self-promoting here, but I wrote a quick guide to the basic aspect of team defending (Any feedback much appreciated! :)):

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...4363-scottys-guide-very-basics-defending.html

Basically, I would start out with deciding on an approach within this 451. If you intend to play on the break, channeling the play through the middle and lauch direct balls into channels down the flanks, then its best to sit a litlel deeper and soak up pressure. Here, the fullbacks wont need to be that attacking as when lauching these direct attacks, they will not get up into the attack quick enough anyway. If you intend to play a control based approach trying to drag the opposition out of position, then why not use more width and exploit the flanks. Here, the fullbacks will be more attacking whilst the central Mcs will hold up the ball. You can actually use both approaches within the same Strategy. Balanced-Counter and then eiethr "play more narrow, drop deeper and pass into space" or " Play wider, exploit the flanks, push up and Retain possession"

As you see, its all about the style of play you want to use. Use the settings provided by the TC and only tweak( if wanting to) the wide play of the fullbacks, not anything else.

Last edited:
You need to have different defensive strategies for different opposition. You also need to base the defence on your players, the formation and the attacking side of your tactics. Everything has to fit together.

Slightly self-promoting here, but I wrote a quick guide to the basic aspect of team defending (Any feedback much appreciated! :)):

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...4363-scottys-guide-very-basics-defending.html

I wouldnt say you HAVE TO have different strategies for different opposition, but sometimes it is good to change things so you keep the opposition on their toes.

I took Kidderminster Harriers from the Blue Square Premier to European Champions in 10 seasons using one tactic and one tactic only the whole way through. So it depends on you management style really, and definatly on how you set your team up defensively and attacking wise needs to be in coalition with your formation.

My biggest tip for Smurfychris is not to repeatedly change your formation or tactic or individual instructions because it didnt work for one or two...or sometimes 10 games on the bounce. Players love consistancy and if they learn a decent tactic for long enough, despite the results when they are intitially learnning, they will adapt and play much better. Persveranve with tactics can sometimes be key.
I always take a full season to review a tactic or system before deciding whether it is any good or not. And even if it sometimes isnt that good, I then find players better suited to that system and try again for another full season. Sometimes its best to have beleif in your original concept.

Hope that helps a little, even though it wasnt exactly about a defensive setup

Basically, I would start out with deciding on an approach within this 451. If you intend to play on the break, channeling the play through the middle and lauch direct balls into channels down the flanks, then its best to sit a litlel deeper and soak up pressure. Here, the fullbacks wont need to be that attacking as when lauching these direct attacks, they will not get up into the attack quick enough anyway. If you intend to play a control based approach trying to drag the opposition out of position, then why not use more width and exploit the flanks. Here, the fullbacks will be more attacking whilst the central Mcs will hold up the ball. You can actually use both approaches within the same Strategy. Balanced-Counter and then eiethr "play more narrow, drop deeper and pass into space" or " Play wider, exploit the flanks, push up and Retain possession"

As you see, its all about the style of play you want to use. Use the settings provided by the TC and only tweak( if wanting to) the wide play of the fullbacks, not anything else.

Hey so really like the idea of what you suggest, about having the cms hold the ball up and using fullbacks for width, the thing is would you have the dm hold it up as well

Hey so really like the idea of what you suggest, about having the cms hold the ball up and using fullbacks for width, the thing is would you have the dm hold it up as well

Well, you dont have to manually tweak anything, just use the TC. When using exloit the flanks, the central players will hold up the ball by default and when you use play more narrow, they wont ( unless they are deep players, like DPL and Anchormen etc)

With this said, I would start out doing the following.
  • Decide upon if this is a one-season save or a career game
  • Decide upon what you wnat to achieve and when you "need" to do it
  • Decide upon a style of play you want to play, getting players for
  • Look for a team that actually suits the above
  • Now, look if this is realistic
  • If so, then start out by using a formation and strategy that is likely to get you closer to your goals
  • Next, always be willing to evaluate the situation
Example
  • Playing a save with " one" team, gettingthem to the top, no club hopping
  • I want to win the EPL and the CL, but not straight away as I want fight to really for it, getting the feeling that I have done this, not some super tactic etc
  • Long term, I would like to control possession but initially, I just care about the results. I could probably use any formation but as I really like thos pacey and flairful winger/INside FCs, Perhaps trying to learn to master a 451 or a 4411 might be the best
  • Hm, I could perhaps start with a middle team in the Championshi, like Boro, Forest, Charlton, team that has rather good players and are teams that" belong "in the EPL
  • Yeah, it looks realistic to me
  • Hm, I would like to get promoted the first season so here, its probably best to use a Counter based strategy as it will let me both attack and defend depending on what shouts I use.
  • Well, if teams should start sitting really deep against me and defend, I might begin to struggle and need to use "Attack" and "hassle" when playing at home. This might not work though as many teams I will face will be equallly good or better in defending than I am in attacking

With this said, I would start out doing the following.
  • Decide upon if this is a one-season save or a career game
  • Decide upon what you wnat to achieve and when you "need" to do it
  • Decide upon a style of play you want to play, getting players for
  • Look for a team that actually suits the above
  • Now, look if this is realistic
  • If so, then start out by using a formation and strategy that is likely to get you closer to your goals
  • Next, always be willing to evaluate the situation
Example
  • Playing a save with " one" team, gettingthem to the top, no club hopping
  • I want to win the EPL and the CL, but not straight away as I want fight to really for it, getting the feeling that I have done this, not some super tactic etc
  • Long term, I would like to control possession but initially, I just care about the results. I could probably use any formation but as I really like thos pacey and flairful winger/INside FCs, Perhaps trying to learn to master a 451 or a 4411 might be the best
  • Hm, I could perhaps start with a middle team in the Championshi, like Boro, Forest, Charlton, team that has rather good players and are teams that" belong "in the EPL
  • Yeah, it looks realistic to me
  • Hm, I would like to get promoted the first season so here, its probably best to use a Counter based strategy as it will let me both attack and defend depending on what shouts I use.
  • Well, if teams should start sitting really deep against me and defend, I might begin to struggle and need to use "Attack" and "hassle" when playing at home. This might not work though as many teams I will face will be equallly good or better in defending than I am in attacking

OK thanks god you have given me a lot to think about lol