Jackkflash

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was looking at some of my tactics and I realized I prefer more unorthodox formations for some reason.

Anyone else do this?

I will post screen shots when I get to my laptop.

what means 'unorthodox formations' ? There are many usable combinations, most of them not very popular :

List of symetrical reasonable possible combinations of positions
View attachment 84065

List of reasonable possible combinations of duties
View attachment 84064

345 symmetrical reasonable configurations

287 w/o sweeper and 58 with sweeper

195 with 3 central defenders and 150 with 2 central defenders

116 w/o defensive midfielder(s) and 229 with defensive midfielder(s)

115 w/o central midfielder(s) and 230 with central midfoelder(s)

81 w/o central attacking midfielder(s) and 264 with central attacking midfielder(s)

116 w/o striker(s) and 229 with striker(s)

149 with wide full backs, 149 with wing backs and 47 w/o wide defenders (wings covered by wide midfielders)

117 with wide midfielders, 50 with wide attacking midfielders and 178 w/o any wide midfielder

what means 'unorthodox formations' ? There are many usable combinations, most of them not very popular :

List of symetrical reasonable possible combinations of positions
View attachment 1127159

List of reasonable possible combinations of duties
View attachment 1127160

345 symmetrical reasonable configurations

287 w/o sweeper and 58 with sweeper

195 with 3 central defenders and 150 with 2 central defenders

116 w/o defensive midfielder(s) and 229 with defensive midfielder(s)

115 w/o central midfielder(s) and 230 with central midfoelder(s)

81 w/o central attacking midfielder(s) and 264 with central attacking midfielder(s)

116 w/o striker(s) and 229 with striker(s)

149 with wide full backs, 149 with wing backs and 47 w/o wide defenders (wings covered by wide midfielders)

117 with wide midfielders, 50 with wide attacking midfielders and 178 w/o any wide midfielder

Are you ok?

Of course. Why not ? This game is much more complex than "4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-3". But some combinations of positions and duties are very difficult to balance.

Of course. Why not ? This game is much more complex than "4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-3". But some combinations of positions and duties are very difficult to balance.

Why the spread sheet and calculations?

"Spreadsheet" is for avoid to repeat the same combination twice or more. And "calculation" is for prove that the basic principles have been respected. This is a complete list of all possible symmetrical combination. It's a waste of time to write down some combinations then decide that others are no possible.

I modified a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide into a 4-1-2-3 DM Asymetric.
View attachment 83408
This way, I separated the team into 2 blocks of 5 man defense unit and 5 man attacking unit.
the Fullbacks is supposed to be in attack role tho.

This will allow the Right Midfielder to escape from opponent's left fullback marking, and pulling them out of place while creating spaces for the right fullback to overlap.

the Box-to-Box midfielder is working in tandem with the defensive midfielder and get the ball from deep. having the options to send a long pass to the right midfielder or overlapping right fullback, giving the ball to the Advanced Playmaker, or just send the ball long into the heart of opponent defense.
the Advanced Playmaker, Box-to-box Midfielder, Left Inside Forward, and Advanced Forward creating diamonds of passiing options.
by moving the Advanced Forward into the Left Centre Forward position, he will pull the opposition's defence toward him and it allows the Left Inside Forward to drift in behind him and attacks the spaces left behind.

This is basically a formation for teams that wanted to play proper 4-1-2-3 DM Wide but can't afford a proper False 9 and either one side of Inside Forward.