For me its holding midfield. When my holding midfielder is out of the game, the team performance suffers severly. Even if I play a deep lying playmaker, it's not the same.

A good holding midfielder is key in my 4-3-3 formation because:
1. Whenever the opposition keeper takes a goal kick, it is my holding midfielder who has to challenge the header. If he is good in the air, the chances are we have possession back straight away.
2. Whenever the opposition clear the ball after an attack, 85% of the time the ball lands at the feet of my holding midfielder. If he can hold onto it and play a simple pass to someone else, the attack can start again
3. An extra person in midfield means another one of my midfielders doesn't need great defensive responsibilites. Thus, I can have a very advanced playmaker in my midfield 3
4. A good holding midfielder will be able to break up attacks by winning the ball, meaning less strain on my defence and less chance of conceding
5. Sometimes my holding midfielder will support the full backs when a winger is running with the ball.

That said, I would say that generally the most important player in the team would be a tall CB. Its just holding midfield is key for me specific formation