Most Weird Question In The History of FM

yourfriend

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

After many visits of this forum I have finally decided to register here to ask my question what I want to know. I like this forum a lot. Countless of great suggestions about FM that could be used even in real life - if someone is coaching some local team. I don't doubt everyone loves football here, so do, almost since I opened my eyes for the first time in maternity hospital :) Last time when I was playing FM/CM (CM = championship manager) game was around 12 years ago. I liked it a lot but nowdays I wish I could still play it but growing older, I don't have time to play it anymore, although Im hardly stopping myself from buying it specially when I see all those wonderful screenshots in FM13 section of your forum. If I want to play it why don't I buy it and simply find time to play? Because generally there is one reason which always changed my mind about buying the game and starting learing it. I lost all my knowledge about FM from so many years ago - actually if I wanted to start playing it I would have to go from total zero. What is the reason why I always change my mind and end up not getting FM: It is the fact that I know in advance I won't have any physical benefit from learning it and playing it. So this is my exact question:

What makes you willing to invest your time and sometimes even headaches learning the game, trying to investigate new opportunities of strategies, learn from others and do your best in the game? This is my question. I apologize if Im insulting anyone with this but I just want to know what do you get in return to invest your time into FM? Every time I try to answer myself on this question I end up not getting the game as I have previously said. I believe there are millions of FM players worldwide. At least 95%, if not even more, aren't registered on any such forum as your one is - Im sure about this. Perhaps someone of you has FM as primary source of income: Being an internet FM teacher and offering services to others. With having hired good internet marketer and website developer (if you wouldn't do it on your own), I believe clients would contact such service provider often - there wouldn't be lack of clients I guess. If having such job out of which you pay yourself insurances, taxes, retiring allowance to finish 35 or 40 working period, financially contribute in your family, etc then I would understand so. Perhaps someone of you have ultimate goal to rich to be coach in some big (or local one) football team and practicing via FM. I would understand that also. Perhaps some user's (not trying to point at anyone so it wouldn't sound anyhow rude) discussed with his/her boss in the job that if he wins particular amount of matches or shares some useful FM tips, he/she won't need to work in the job on fridays and will have extended weekend but salary will still count, also fridays will for ''done working years'' towards retiring allowance. I would understand that too. But what about the others? What kind of benefit you have when you win the match or even the trophy in FM? Noone pays you. No salaries. Its not even counted as working time to get retiring allowance. What else could the benefit be?

Im asking it seriously. If I try to learn FM from scratch, it might take few houndreds of hours to get used to it. Then another few houndreds if not even thousands of hours to learn or try to learn some tricks I could use. At the end I might win few matches, perhaps even trophy of the league. But in real life, what kind of benefit will I get on this? What is ''pushing'' you forward in specific moments of trainings/matches schedules, when you don't succeed, to keep on with FM? There must be something else, along satisfaction, that makes you invest your time into FM?

I know if you are reading this you might ask yourself ''wtf am i reading?''. If some ''real life'' coach would be paying me suggesting him tips learned from FM, I would definitely installed FM long time ago. Better understanding of the match on tv doesn't count as benefit at all. But as much as I love football, I cannot think of any real-life benefit of FM knowledge? I would love to know and thats why I opened this topic.

If I anyhow offended anyone then I apologize so. Wish you best of success with FM and hopefully someone could please answer with his/her/your point of view regarding the real benefit.

This topic might be better to be in tactics&training subsection of FM13 section (more people could see it) but according to the forum rules, its better to place it where it fits the most.

Thank you and kind regards.

Last edited:
Yes? Fun? Elaborate please. What kind of real-life benefit from ''fun'' aspect do you have (any additional income?) from knowledge of FM?

Yeah it's pretty serious when you think about it really. Sure it's "fun", but like all, if not most video games, we gain no more than just mere enjoyment and entertainment. However, video games can actually be useful, you might not know it, but I certainly have learn a lot of things out of playing, especially Football Manager. I've only started playing FM 2013 a week after it came out, and it was my first FM game. I did own FM 2012 but never had the time to play it... But this "management" game is what I like, something I am into and after a while it drives me into this world I never once stepped in, a world once I find boring, slow, pointless. I started joining those online football manager games, such as SoccerManager (in which I quit because of FM), and it was fun, because of the progress and sense of achievement.
I decided to take this a little further by purchasing FM 13... I have never had any FM experience before, so first time playing for me was a bit confusing... But I am a quick learner, it wont be long untill I get the hang of it, in which I did, within an hour or two. By then I just couldn't stop playing FM 13... I've had previous experience with FIFA Manager 09 and 10, and Championship Manager 5, but I was just a kid back then. By this stage i've stopped pretty much playing console video games, i just cannot pick them up anymore, because of FM 13. FM had taught me a lot of things, especially the logical part of the game and management. I use this idea to aid in my Business studies, and it helped a lot, one thing for certain. It also had helped become aware of things, and it is definetaly most helpful in the business side of life...

So basically, playing FM is just for pure enjoyment... but then again, you learn alot out of it. I for one did. And you if just think about it, FM is quite useful in different aspects of life, and for me that came into Business and Business Management.

I believe it is the group of challenges you set yourself and then proceed to beat that provide the fun.

You talk about playing games to get a physical benefit , In my opinion people don't play video games for a 'physical benefit'.
Football Manager alone is never going to get you a job at a professional football club and nor do i think any right-minded person play's it for this objective.
Video games are simple, they're made to entertain whoever buys them.
I also think that it can be used as an escape, I know it sounds stupid but it is proven that some people play games to get a sense of 'achievement' which is lacking in their lives...