Mourinho Masterclass - A Managers Story

E276A8BF-E336-4FD3-A1AD-669F81B45785.png

I’m back again, after a long break away from blogging about Football Manager, I return with a managers story series where we choose someone from the world of football and play as them in Football Manager 22.

The title of this blog may give this managers story away, but I am going to let the story unfold in the next few posts.

All comments and questions are welcome, I would love for you all to interact with this save. You can also follow me on Twitter (@trsmanager), where I will be sharing further updates on the save/series.

Thanks for reading,
Tracksuit Manager.

29C8978F-87ED-412C-8595-55005A3F552C.png

Elation on Tyneside as Mike Ashley finally sells Newcastle United to the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF), which ends his 14-year torture of the club. As widely reported the takeover makes Newcastle United one of the richest football clubs in world football.

48A23E94-6BC0-4BD4-A4ED-18D305706219.jpeg

Fans of Newcastle United gather outside St. James’ Park to celebrate this momentous occasion, it’s no doubt a party that will last all weekend. Some fans are quoting this as the ‘re-birth of the club’ with the club rumoured to have a transfer budget in the region of £150 million.

The good news continued for Newcastle fans as Steve Bruce was given his marching orders, a popular choice across the whole of Tyneside. Bruce told Sky Sports News; “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t see this coming, I’ve felt for a while that my time at Newcastle was limited”.

Bruce continued; “No I don’t agree with it, to be honest. If the new board had bothered to meet with me I would have put my ideas across to them. It’s their loss”.

D5EBF9F0-8998-4908-AD86-D8510A021A6E.jpeg

Bruce also provided some advice to the next Newcastle manager; “They will have to have broad shoulders as the fans here are tough. They will expect success and won’t take anything other than that, especially if they are spending millions do pounds on players”.

Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer declared this a historic day as he spoke with Sky Sports News; “Absolutely, today is a historic day. We’ve now got our club back and we’re hopeful that we become one of the giants of English football again”.

14F7FAE9-B011-46BE-89C4-145132DCF14C.jpeg

Shearer added; “It’s an exciting time. A new board, a new manager to come and the potential of some top class players coming to pull the famous black and white shirt on, I cannot wait”.

When asked if he would be putting his name forward for the job Shearer replied; “No, it won’t be me, that ship has sailed. The new manager has to be ruthless, he has to have something about him to get the job done. The fans will support whoever it is, especially if they are winning”.

The search now starts for Newcastle’s next manager, but who will be on the club’s shortlist?

7E743156-0AE1-4B40-ACCE-CA010C5CB847.png

The search for the new Newcastle United manager has gathered some momentum with the board announcing they have identified a shortlist of ‘5 serious candidates’. Rumours are starting to build all over social media linking many managers to the vacant job.

Brendan Rodgers who was the favourite for the job, has this to say; “It’s flattering to be linked with Newcastle United but I’m happy here at Leicester. I’ll be going absolutely nowhere”.

735B5D6F-6B34-4FAE-90A3-720C771088B7.jpeg

Another strong favourite Steven Gerrard, currently at Scottish champions Rangers, told reporters; “Do I look happy? Don’t ask silly questions. We’re building something special here at Rangers, I’m here to stay”.

1CF60BEA-9B7D-435A-BA61-5EDD8D95DFBE.jpeg

According to reports, the ‘5 serious candidates’ are:

Eddie Howe
Howe is currently unemployed and was previously with Bournemouth, who he got relegated at the end of the 2019/20 season. Howe seems to be the front runner following Brendan Rodgers press conference, dismissing any interest in the role. He has yet to comment on the link with the Newcastle job.

929C1300-BF3A-4AC0-975B-D6B479BC9DB3.jpeg

Frank Lampard
Lampard is also currently unemployed following his departure from Chelsea last season. Lampard has expressed his interest in the role, in an interview with TalkSport the former England midfielder said; “I believe I can take Newcastle to the next level.

3D30D203-BB5F-4402-82EE-705142F540FE.jpeg

José Mourinho
Mourinho is currently the manager of Italian giants AS Roma following his departure from Tottenham Hotspur. Just like marmite, some fans love him and some fans hate him. Mourinho has previously expressed his interest in manager Newcastle due to his links with former manager Sir Bobby Robson.

D5436C6E-F6E8-402F-944D-93C843667215.jpeg

Paulo Fonseca
Fonseca is another unemployed manager who was the predecessor to José Mourinho at AS Roma. Fonseca has not hidden his ambition to manage in the Premier League, in a recent interview with Sky Sports Italia, Fonseca stated; “I want to work in the Premier League next, I believe my style of football would work in England”.

BC9F9FF1-3FE3-4D59-B0B8-D120EAE03117.jpeg

Roberto Martinez
Martinez has been managing the Belgium national team since 2016 and has had some success during that time. Having recently expressed an interest in getting back into club football, Martinez would be keen to return to the Premier League where he previously enjoyed spells with Everton and Wigan Athletic.

17B5DCB9-8C94-45D8-8275-376D89022DC3.jpeg

A spokesman for the club told Sky Sports News; “The club have spoken to a number of candidates, and will continue to do so over the next week. The club will ensure all options are explored before making a decision on our next manager”.

Graeme Jones will be put in charge of the first team until a permanent manager is appointed.

94059B71-77F9-47BB-80B3-5365B0AD2BE9.png

Breaking news: Frank Lampard has joined Aston Villa on a four year deal. The former Chelsea manager, who was also linked with the vacant job at Newcastle United, told Sky Sports News; “I’m excited to join a club with a brilliant squad of players and I’m looking forward to a successful season”.

Manager movements continue around Europe with another former Chelsea manager, Jose Mourinho, leaving Italian club S Roma. Reports suggests that Mourinho had fallen out with directors at the club after not being given what he was promised. Mourinho, who is also linked with the Newcastle United job, told Italian press; “I will move back to England and consider my options. I don’t want to stay out of management for too long”.

A866BC00-8C61-435E-9482-BDAD3D15C0C2.jpeg

Reports also suggest that Paulo Fonseca has said no to the Newcastle job. Fonseca was the bookies favourite to take the job after ‘positive talks’ with the club. Italian journalists are now reporting that Fonseca has turned down a ‘bad’ deal with the club.

Talks between Eddie Howe and the Newcastle board are also rumoured to have broken down. Howe seems to have been second choice behind Paulo Fonseca, who according to reports turned down the job. Sources close to the club say ‘both parties have not been able to agree a deal”.

Newcastle United fans have demanded more communication from their new owners. Fans are frustrated with the club and their failure to appoint a new manager.

2EAB526B-B961-4DD6-A79F-18DB9D6C3899.jpeg