Mourinho torn over Portugal Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deslandes

Reaction score
BBC Sport said:
Portugal sacked Carlos Queiroz last week and it is believed they want Mourinho to take charge for October's matches against Denmark and Iceland. Mourinho said: "If it were not for Real Madrid I would do it for free. "I can't say yes to the job offer but I can't obviously say no because I want Portugal to win." Portugal host Denmark on 8 October before travelling to Iceland four days later and the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) want an interim manager while they search for a replacement for Queiroz. The former Manchester United assistant manager, who had been handed a six-month suspension, was sacked on 9 September for insulting anti-doping agents prior to the World Cup. It has left Portugal in a difficult position, especially as they have taken only one point from their opening two Euro 2012 qualifiers.
Failure to get through would be seen as a huge blow to their bid to host the 2018 World Cup.
The situation has left former Chelsea and Inter Milan boss Mourinho, who only took charge at the Bernabeu at the end of last season, torn. "Madrid has all the right to put up obstacles - and the minimum obstacle is that I can't go," he said. FPF chief Gilberto Madail insists the search for a new coach is still wide open after admitting meeting Mourinho during a visit to the Spanish capital, but declined to provide details. "Various things are being considered and that doesn't mean Jose Mourinho is the only one," he said. "There may be some news shortly. If everything goes according to plan, next week." Meanwhile, Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas is confident Mourinho will not be tempted to take over as Portugal boss, even on a part-time basis. "Mourinho would like to coach the [Portugal] national team, but his mind is focused exclusively on Real Madrid," said the Madrid keeper.

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9009498.stm

Mourinho and portugal would be a formidable team

Mourinho wanted to come... but Real Madrid didnt let him :( ... We need you MOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.