ellismcfc

Reaction score
I wanna create a 4-2-3-1 that Mourinho played in the season Madrid won the league. I know what roles to give the players, but I want to recreate that mix between possession football and counter attacking football, and also the short passing but direct passing that he played. Bear in mind they scored a ridiculous amount of goals that season, especially for a Mourinho team.

On the player instructions select people you want for the passing type and set your tactic as attacking as that should give you possession as well as attacking.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

I've created the tactic in a 4-2-3-1 with counter attack ticked and the tempo quite fast:
View attachment 462690

I've edited the passing style on the individual instructions so the wingers are fairly direct, the AP is direct, the WBs are direct, the CBs and Anchor man are short. I've also set the wingers to run with it a lot. Reckon it could work?

Regarding your tactic, I'd make a few changes in order to make it more ressembling to Mourinho's tactic at Madrid. I'm not saying this changes will make the tactic more effective (maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know), I'm just saying it will make it more similar to Mourinho's tactic IRL.

First, I'm not sure if ?zil would be better as an attacking midfielder rather than an advanced playmaker. Perhaps an attacking, instead of a supportive role would fit him better. In any case, X. Alonso was the main playmaker, so well spot on that one.

Benzema might be a deep lying forward rather than an advanced forward. I don't know if support or attack (?).

Kedira was definately not an anchor man, he ventured forward many times and closed down the opposition, so I'd say he was acting as a defensive midfielder with a support duty. X. Alonso was creative but still very defensive, and he never ventured foward, so I'd say he was a deep lying playmaker with a defend duty.

Marcelo was an attacking wingback, I'm sure about this one. Arbeloa was a fullback, support or even defense.

Neither Ramos nor Pepe were Ball Playing Defenders. I think one was stopper and the other cover (I don't know which is which though).

Regarding team instructions, I think passing should be set to direct, marking to mixed and creative freedom to mixed. Tackling would be more aggresive and crosses to floating. Also, a balanced rather than a fluid approach would be more realistic. Oh, and I don't think Madrid played with offside trap.

Regarding your tactic, I'd make a few changes in order to make it more ressembling to Mourinho's tactic at Madrid. I'm not saying this changes will make the tactic more effective (maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know), I'm just saying it will make it more similar to Mourinho's tactic IRL.

First, I'm not sure if ?zil would be better as an attacking midfielder rather than an advanced playmaker. Perhaps an attacking, instead of a supportive role would fit him better. In any case, X. Alonso was the main playmaker, so well spot on that one.

Benzema might be a deep lying forward rather than an advanced forward. I don't know if support or attack (?).

Kedira was definately not an anchor man, he ventured forward many times and closed down the opposition, so I'd say he was acting as a defensive midfielder with a support duty. X. Alonso was creative but still very defensive, and he never ventured foward, so I'd say he was a deep lying playmaker with a defend duty.

Marcelo was an attacking wingback, I'm sure about this one. Arbeloa was a fullback, support or even defense.

Neither Ramos nor Pepe were Ball Playing Defenders. I think one was stopper and the other cover (I don't know which is which though).

Regarding team instructions, I think passing should be set to direct, marking to mixed and creative freedom to mixed. Tackling would be more aggresive and crosses to floating. Also, a balanced rather than a fluid approach would be more realistic. Oh, and I don't think Madrid played with offside trap.

I've changed Ozil to an AM-A. Looking into it, I agree regarding Khedira, so I've changed him to DM-S and Alonso to DLP-D. Marcelo is a WB-A and Khedira FB-D.

Regarding the team instructions, Madrid marked zonally except in big games when they had to counter specific threats. Tackling was more agressive, I've changed that, however, they did play shorter passing I think, and I've tweaked the passing style individually so it doesn't really matter.

Download link is here dazycfc;
Mourinho's Madrid 4-2-3-1

Got it,cheers.What do you do for shouts and opposition instructions and match prep ?

Last edited:
I've changed Ozil to an AM-A. Looking into it, I agree regarding Khedira, so I've changed him to DM-S and Alonso to DLP-D. Marcelo is a WB-A and Khedira FB-D.

Regarding the team instructions, Madrid marked zonally except in big games when they had to counter specific threats. Tackling was more agressive, I've changed that, however, they did play shorter passing I think, and I've tweaked the passing style individually so it doesn't really matter.

Download link is here dazycfc;

Looks good mate. Any good results with it? :)

Got it,cheers.What do you do for shouts and opposition instructions and match prep ?

I haven't made any shouts yet but may look into it. OIs I leave to assistant and match prep ball control/defensive positioning

Decided to test with Napoli as they're a side quite well suited to the tactic

Got an update on my City save for y'all, some great football and nice results:) I'll post it in a bit

View attachment 461810

So here you go, i used this tactic and alternated it with the Jurgen Klopp Recreation tactic, used the Mourinho tactic games 1, 2, and 5 (pre season) and once the season had started, I used it against Notts Forest, Cardiff, and Villa. The tactic didn't produce great results, but played great football, lovely pressing and high tempo passing.