Kyanite

Reaction score
Mourinho's Red Devils
mourinhobadge.jpg

Screenshot_22.png

Screenshot_25.png

[video=youtube;tdfZ62Q9_U8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfZ62Q9_U8[/video]

Screenshot_23.png

Having recreated Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, Antonio Conte's Chelsea & Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs successfully this year, a common request was Jose Mourinho's Manchester United. Yes, they've had a shaky season at times, but as always, I've managed to recreate a strong resemblance to great success. If you haven't seem them other recreations, just search for them somewhere in the long lost abyss of fm-base tactic pages!

Emphasis on counter attacking with pace & utilising crosses in to the box. On the ball, the formation becomes a 4-2-3-1. In reality, Mourinho loves to chop & change depending on the players he has at his disposal & opposition weakness, but this is the core of his approach. An inside forward on the left which can accommodate Martial, Mata, Lingard or Rashford and a deeper playmaker role out on the right which comes inside to assist the midfield and creates room for the overlapping Valencia out wide. Defenders have a simple job and play short passes to your Herrera/Carrick whilst the fluid midfield are always willing to come deep, help defend but also create plenty of passing triangles. The midfield can then launch direct passes in to the final third using diagonal balls out wide to the wings which provides ammunition in the form of crosses for Ibrahimovic. The front players apply a lot of pressure and the wing backs often come central to apply pressure and try to win the ball back as well.

My test was basically plug & play once I finalised the tactic after tweaking a few saves, then just put the games on full speed & only commentary to get them out of the way. Went on holiday between matches, upset players, ruined morale etc, so if you actually manage your team you can probably do even better than the results below. Or try and orchestrate more draws to make the tactic more unique :D

THE TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

No need to over complicate things with too many instructions, just a true representation of how Manchester United set up in real life. Due to the high level of quality of players, I've left the decision making up to them in the final third.
Screenshot_24.png

THE PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS
GK - More Direct Passes, Take Long Kicks, Distribute to Target Man
WB - Tackle Harder, Mark Tighter, Cross Aim Target Man, Close Down Much More
CB - Pass It Shorter
DLP - Dribble Less, Tackle Harder, Mark Tighter, More Direct Passes
AP - Close Down More, Mark Tighter, Get Further Forward
BBM - Shoot More Often (Pogba has 18 long shots), Close Down More, Tackle Harder, Mark Tighter, Get Further Forward, Move Into Channels
WP - Mark Tighter, Get Further Forward, Close Down Much More
IF - Close Down More, Mark Tighter, Roam From Position
CF - Tackle Harder, Move Into Channels

THE OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS
None :D

THE TRAINING REGIME
Match Tactics until 100% familiarity, then Defensive Positioning (typical park the bus Mourinho, eh?)

THE RESULTS
As usual, you get a few dodgy results until you hit 100% familiarity. But from that point on wards, it's all guns blazin'

Screenshot_26.png

Goals Galore with only 12 conceded...
Screenshot_29.png

THE DOWNLOAD
MIRROR 1: DOWNLOADhttps://ufile.io/h6pqe

Last edited:
Jose said that he's trying to get United to play zonally so the tighter marking TI is kind of wrong for a recreation.

Jose said that he's trying to get United to play zonally so the tighter marking TI is kind of wrong for a recreation.

Mourinho has always been an advocate of zonal defending.
Use tighter marking TI does not mean man marking, that's done in individual PI's.
Use tighter marking simply means that when an opposition player enters a players zone, they stand tighter to him, that is all. The same way the mark tighter PI works.

Ok tomorrow is today;) where is the download link ? Murinho was my hero since he won CL with Porto :)

I like your Man U tactic.
If I can suggest a next challenge: Dortmund. ;-)

Such interesting tactic, thanks a lot i'll give a test with and PSG.

Any suggestions for hard away games?

For hard away games, look at opponent, do the yahve pacy attackers and winders? if so drop the D.line.

Do they have better players butr lack pace compare to youre attack? Counter!

Are they superioure to youre team in terms of skills? lower tempo, play counter and do it simple. when you got the ball they cannot score. utilize scouting and use it for what its worth. so far i havent found a single rock solid away tactic so i adapt those im using and i mostly always get points with me using braincells :)

Im quite sure this tac is good in most situations, but whne push comes to show is when you as manager got to shine.

For hard away games, look at opponent, do the yahve pacy attackers and winders? if so drop the D.line.

Do they have better players butr lack pace compare to youre attack? Counter!

Are they superioure to youre team in terms of skills? lower tempo, play counter and do it simple. when you got the ball they cannot score. utilize scouting and use it for what its worth. so far i havent found a single rock solid away tactic so i adapt those im using and i mostly always get points with me using braincells :)

Im quite sure this tac is good in most situations, but whne push comes to show is when you as manager got to shine.

Spot on! :D

Would it still work if i put the AP In the AMC position and Pushed the WP Up to a inside forward?