beansy6

Reaction score
Hi, i have bought a new laptop today and wanted to move my saved game from my old machine to the new one

I have moved it the following location C:\Users\Usename\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\games

and when i try to open the saved game it says unable to open file?

any help?

try it in the fm folder in the administrator user instead of your user name?

That is the correct place to move it to. Is the game you've recently installed the same patch version as the other game?

the games were both from the original disc version no additional patches added?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

anyone got any advice, as i really don't want to start a new game yet?

you sure they're the same version then? The save may have become corrupted when you were saving them to your memory stick or whatever you saved them to. You could try saving them again incase they became corrupted.

right ok, all i have done is install sdtraight from the disc no updates and copied the save file from my old machine and then copied it into the games place on the new machine, the error i get reads

"unable to run this game" then the screen resolution changes too and won't go back without closing fm down and restarting the game

Have you moved the editor data as well(if you had any)? That can affect games, and you need to have the patch the games were saved on installed.

This sounds long but sometimes it happens

sometimes when you dont like protect your save somethings your file extension can save, a way around this is download WinRar and make a new winrar folder and place your save in their from your old p.c. then drag the winrar folder onto your memory stick or what ever than download it then extract 2 the path you said in the op.

Have you moved the editor data as well(if you had any)? That can affect games, and you need to have the patch the games were saved on installed.

hi as i'v said there are no patches installed just the standard disc installation on both machines, plus there was no editor data either, was just running the basic game thats all

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

This sounds long but sometimes it happens

sometimes when you dont like protect your save somethings your file extension can save, a way around this is download WinRar and make a new winrar folder and place your save in their from your old p.c. then drag the winrar folder onto your memory stick or what ever than download it then extract 2 the path you said in the op.

i'l give it a go, worth a try, if this doesn't work, have yo got anymore ideas?

Upload it on some hosting site (rapidshare,file front etc etc)

Copy out the link and then download it on your other PC?

email what, just the save file or try and copy the whole installation from my old machine?

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

brilliant guys, thanks for all your help the winrar thing worked, brilliant UTO!!