I don't know if anyone still reads this thread and uses this tactic for FM16, but in case it might help someone else:

I've played for 5 seasons with this tactic and was very succesful every season, the only issue I had was the high number of yellow card I tested several things to tweak and avoid this and this is where I've ended: I kept the PI tackle harder, but I've changed the Team Instruction: Get Stuck in to 'Stay on Feet'. (seems a bit contradictory the PI vs TI, but for me it did the trick)

The next season:
- I was only the 14th highest team in number of yellow cards,
- I had 3 goals less conceded then my previous record (almost same team as previous years)
- had 3 more clean sheets

so for me it didn't look like I had to give up performance to avoid yellow cards, altough I have to say I was playing with a top-team, so I don't know if you would see similiar results with smaller teams

thanks a lot for this. I just returned to a fresh FM16 save because I don't have FM17 yet and in any case haven't really read good things about it but to keep to the point, my biggest concern regarding this tactic and pretty much every other fan favorite tactic for FM16 was the unreasonably high amount of yellow cards you get for using hard tackling and/or the get stuck in option. I plugged in Mr L's tactic with retaining the hard tackling on players but switching to stay on feet in team instructions, so far works like a charm. so yeah, can definitely recommend this method, and cheers once again for the heads up.

...then again, I did just lose as Liverpool against Leverkusen 1-5 at home, so it might not be that good an option after all :D

Last edited:
thanks a lot for this. I just returned to a fresh FM16 save because I don't have FM17 yet and in any case haven't really read good things about it but to keep to the point, my biggest concern regarding this tactic and pretty much every other fan favorite tactic for FM16 was the unreasonably high amount of yellow cards you get for using hard tackling and/or the get stuck in option. I plugged in Mr L's tactic with retaining the hard tackling on players but switching to stay on feet in team instructions, so far works like a charm. so yeah, can definitely recommend this method, and cheers once again for the heads up.

...then again, I did just lose as Liverpool against Leverkusen 1-5 at home, so it might not be that good an option after all :D

this tactic is for16.3 with new update(16.3.2) don'twork well for me

This is without doubt the best tactic for FM16. My Stoke team is doing great. Won the Champions League 2019/2020 and the FA Cup. Runner-up Premier League. 2020/21 has startet great in the league. Won every game so far. Lost in the supercup and the Community shield but that's no big deal really.

View attachment 112635View attachment 112634View attachment 112632View attachment 112631View attachment 112630
I also coach England and they won the European Championship in 2020. We beat Spain 2-1 in the final. Germany 4-1 in the semifinals.

View attachment 112628View attachment 112627View attachment 112626View attachment 112624
I might also mention that this is a Network game with a friend were Chelsea is his team.

Last edited:
16.3.2?

This is without doubt the best tactic for FM16. My Stoke team is doing great. Won the Champions League 2019/2020 and the FA Cup. Runner-up Premier League. 2020/21 has startet great in the league. Won every game so far. Lost in the supercup and the Community shield but that's no big deal really.

View attachment 1095326View attachment 1095327View attachment 1095329View attachment 1095330View attachment 1095331
I also coach England and they won the European Championship in 2020. We beat Spain 2-1 in the final. Germany 4-1 in the semifinals.

View attachment 1095333View attachment 1095334View attachment 1095335View attachment 1095337
I might also mention that this is a Network game with a friend were Chelsea is his team.

Hmm I know this tactic is best at 16.3 but didn't work well for me at 16.3.2.

Also I tried to turn back 16.3 patch but can't XD

I love that the tactic is great both home and away. Solid in defence and I score a lot of goals too. 30 yellow cards in 12 PL games so far. No red ones.

Right i havent played FM for 11 months. Started a new save with Liverpool. Think i was using Puskas in my last save with success. What tactics are recommended now?

ofc Deep Scilian mate. FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than everything.

Right i havent played FM for 11 months. Started a new save with Liverpool. Think i was using Puskas in my last save with success. What tactics are recommended now?

I use Mr L 4-2-3-1 Asymmetric 16.3 and it looks very good to me.
Can someone advise which OI to use in this tactic?

Am I the only one who thinks this sicilian tactic is extremely defensive? lol

Against big teams, ok, it works.
Against small teams......super slow and still defensive. Doesn't work at all!

Last edited: