Much criticized Jabulani - What do you think ?

Do you think World Cup 2010 match ball should be changed ?

• Yes

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sass101

Reaction score
England's goalkeeper David James joined names like Gianiluigi Buffon, Iker Casillas, Julio Cesar and Giampalo Pazzini to criticize World Cup South Africa 2010 official match ball Jabulani. They all say that ball changes direction suddenly in the air and James says that we are going to see lots of strange goals in the World Cup.

Not sure I don't think I've ever played with a proper match ball worth like £80 or something only the replicas so I'm not sure.

The ball may be **** but they are hardly going to replace a contracted ball a couple of weeks in advance when the whole world have been training with it all year...

The more comedy the better I say :p

But players really need to stop complaining, it's the World Cup ffs. They should just be glad to get there.

I think that this is the same stuff we hear every world cup. I mean honestly, has there ever been a world cup where the players went, "Oh, I quite liked that ball."

No, there hasn't. All of this nonsense will disappear as soon as the world cup starts and come right back as soon as England is eliminated. (6):p

Good think James won't be playing then isn't it ;)

No.

Most teams go to the World Cup and simply try to avoid getting beat (remember the Swizterland/Ukraine match at the last Euros?). So a weird ball will add some much needed excitement

Every team will play with the same ball so why does it matter?

it looks pretty neat i think the goalkeeps are planning an excuse before the world cup has even started :D

cgd_adidas-jabulani-match-ball.jpg

It's a ball at the end off the day. You can either play football or you can't.. Simples.

The more comedy the better I say :p

But players really need to stop complaining, it's the World Cup ffs. They should just be glad to get there.

Nicely said ...

Yeah, sure that Jabulani should be changed I mean c'mon 10 - 0 voting results speak for themselves :p

Just that some say it should be changed but of course in 2 weeks and about 1 week to become accustomed with another new ball. Naahh no.

Its been pretty much in the news with many goalkeepers not liking it but I guess after a few weeks training with it they will get used to it...........hopefully

I went into the big Adidas shop in Paris recently and they had one of these on sale for 80 euros, so i had to have a quick feel.

Its very light, and the panels are very 'spongy' for want of a better word. It really did feel like the kind of ball that will move dramatically in the air, but hey-ho they national sides have had it for a while now, they should be used to it, everyone is in the same boat. James, Buffon etc need to man up.

Last edited:
God, it's only a ******* football, its the same for every team, man up and stop complaining about every little thing.

Law 2 of FIFAs laws of the game states the ball is:
spherical
• made of leather or other suitable material
• of a circumference of not more than 70 cm (28 ins) and not less than
68 cm (27 ins)
• not more than 450 g (16 oz) and not less than 410 g (14 oz) in weight at
the start of the match
• of a pressure equal to 0.6 – 1.1 atmosphere (600 – 1,100 g/cm2) at sea
level (8.5 lbs/sq in – 15.6 lbs/sq in)

Source: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

Yes, the ball will move about a bit more at altitude due to the thinner air, but not that many of the games at the World Cup are even being played at altitude.

When i was a kid we used to play with a 99p flyaway on a road full of parked cars. Players these days are spoiled. It round, it rolls, ******* get on with it.

bit late to change it now :p - North Korea might send UFO's if the ball is changed ;) XD

Apparently the balls are awful, but that's football. Children aren't as skilled at making balls as grown ups.