Mutu ordered to pay Chelsea £14m

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K
Makes me sick that Chelsea are pursuing this fine when they canceled his contract. There must be some real Vultures in the Chelsea boardroom.

They paid a lot of money for him, so they are entitled to get some back... They can't just write off his transfer fee, they paid it under the assumption the player wouldn't be banned for drug abuse obviously.

I am so glad justice is being done, he will learn from this as your body is a temple built for the glory of God and it was unnecessary for him to self-harm in this manner.

Nonsense. A £14m fine is utterly disproportionate punishment for taking recreational drugs in your own time and is a prime example of a massive coporation ******** on the little guy. Mutu may have alot of money but I doubt he can deal with £14m, which I believe is the fee settled between Chelsea and his original club so out of his hands.

Angers me that people are cheering at this, happy people don't ram their heads full of hard drugs and Chelsea could've tried helping Mutu out instead of cancelling his contract and pursuing an aborent amount of money from him.

I won't even contest the God Squad stuff, needless to say I'm an athiest and the body is not a temple, it's a big group of complex evolved cells.

They paid a lot of money for him, so they are entitled to get some back... They can't just write off his transfer fee, they paid it under the assumption the player wouldn't be banned for drug abuse obviously.

Mutu had literally nothing to do with the transfer negotiations between the two clubs. Fine him all the wages and bonuses he was paid then fine but don't fine him for an amount of money the Chelsea were responsible for arranging.

Last edited:
Nonsense. A £14m fine is utterly disproportionate punishment for taking recreational drugs in your own time and is a prime example of a massive coporation ******** on the little guy. Mutu may have alot of money but I doubt he can deal with £14m, which I believe is the fee settled between Chelsea and his original club so out of his hands.

Angers me that people are cheering at this, happy people don't ram their heads full of hard drugs and Chelsea could've tried helping Mutu out instead of cancelling his contract and pursuing an aborent amount of money from him.

I won't even contest the God Squad stuff, needless to say I'm an athiest and the body is not a temple, it's a big group of complex evolved cells.

Mutu had literally nothing to do with the transfer negotiations between the two clubs. Fine him all the wages and bonuses he was paid then fine but don't fine him for an amount of money the Chelsea were responsible for arranging.

Um Chelsea are simply clawing back the money they paid to end his contract. They aren't even getting money for the loss of a player who could have otherwise been sold for a large amount.

Um Chelsea are simply clawing back the money they paid to end his contract. They aren't even getting money for the loss of a player who could have otherwise been sold for a large amount.

No, "Mutu was sacked by Chelsea in September 2004 after testing positive for cocaine. The Romania striker received a seven-month ban from football, but the London club took a firm stance and sacked him before then suing him to recover the money they paid to sign him." Thats a quote from the Guardian article on this topic and heres the link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/14/adrian-mutu-chelsea

Chelsea's backroom have mercilessly persued money that they have no right to demand from Mutu, they decided the fee for his transfer and then organised a contract between him. This isn't justice at all and it really sickens me that people are rallying behind Chelsea.

He still cost chelsea 14million Pounds, I dont know about you, but if you pay 14million for anything you expect a certain standard, and that standard is you dont take a "Substances" outlawed by the Association you participate in. So for him to break a foundamental Law like this, chelsea are well within there rights to claim there money back. If Mutu Never broke the rules, it would of been wrong for him to pay chelsea back, if he was just performing poorly badly. But the Fact remains he broke the rules, and the clause written into his contract.

No, "Mutu was sacked by Chelsea in September 2004 after testing positive for cocaine. The Romania striker received a seven-month ban from football, but the London club took a firm stance and sacked him before then suing him to recover the money they paid to sign him." Thats a quote from the Guardian article on this topic and heres the link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/14/adrian-mutu-chelsea

Chelsea's backroom have mercilessly persued money that they have no right to demand from Mutu, they decided the fee for his transfer and then organised a contract between him. This isn't justice at all and it really sickens me that people are rallying behind Chelsea.

So if Liverpool signed a player for £14m who played like **** and took cocaine you wouldn't want him to pay it back? He can earn that back in Dubai in a couple of years so who cares.

He still cost chelsea 14million Pounds, I dont know about you, but if you pay 14million for anything you expect a certain standard, and that standard is you dont take a "Substances" outlawed by the Association you participate in. So for him to break a foundamental Law like this, chelsea are well within there rights to claim there money back. If Mutu Never broke the rules, it would of been wrong for him to pay chelsea back, if he was just performing poorly badly. But the Fact remains he broke the rules, and the clause written into his contract.

Chelsea are idiots for terminating his contract then aren't they, I would have thought you'd remember when Rio Ferdinand didn't turn up to his drugs check and Man Utd didn't just boot him out of the club and start a massive chase for money that he could never afford to pay them.

Chelsea decided the fee independantly, If I paid £14m for something I'd look after it and Chelsea foolishly terminated his contract and they now should accept the consequences that they are £14m out of pocket for a stupid decision they made.

So if Liverpool signed a player for £14m who played like **** and took cocaine you wouldn't want him to pay it back? He can earn that back in Dubai in a couple of years so who cares.

Christ knows what Liverpool have to do with this as I'm not a Liverpool fan but if Villa signed Mutu way back when and all this happened but at Villa then I'd want Mutu to get helped out, then maybe he'd feel like he owed something to the club and repay it with performances.

And besides that I just dislike the nature of fining one man such a disproportionate amount of money that Chelsea were throwing around when they need not have done so.

Last edited:
Chelsea are idiots for terminating his contract then aren't they, I would have thought you'd remember when Rio Ferdinand didn't turn up to his drugs check and Man Utd didn't just boot him out of the club and start a massive chase for money that he could never afford to pay them.

Chelsea decided the fee independantly, If I paid £14m for something I'd look after it and Chelsea foolishly terminated his contract and they now should accept the consequences that they are £14m out of pocket for a stupid decision they made.

It wasn't foolishly terminating his contract as you make it out to be, technically he was in breech of his contract hence why they were allowed to sue. Plus there is a huge difference between testing positive for cocaine and missing a drug test obviously you can't see that, also I'm sure Rio could pay £14m, Mutu maybe not but who cares? He's just lowlife..

Theres a big difference in Missing a test and taking the actual drugs, Mutu Breached his Contract, So he deserves everything that comes to him.

Money makes the world go round but money also causes lots of problems. :( It's a terrific shame to be honest.

Theres a big difference in Missing a test and taking the actual drugs, Mutu Breached his Contract, So he deserves everything that comes to him.

It wasn't foolishly terminating his contract as you make it out to be, technically he was in breech of his contract hence why they were allowed to sue. Plus there is a huge difference between testing positive for cocaine and missing a drug test obviously you can't see that, also I'm sure Rio could pay £14m, Mutu maybe not but who cares? He's just lowlife..

I think your missing my point that I don't care about the technicalities of his contract it is disgusting that a person is being put accountable for a fee that he had nothing to do with. Chelsea decided the fee, Chelsea decided to kick Mutu out on his **** and Chelsea should deal with the consequences of those decisions.

Mutu decided on his contract, Mutu decided to take cocaine so Mutu should be charged in account of the decisions that he made.

£14m is a life destroying amount of money to lose and as he can't play for 7 months it looks unlikely he has an obvious way of making it back. Will both of you be singing the praises of justice if he ends up hanging himself or if his family bear the brunt of the financial losses?

I think your missing my point that I don't care about the technicalities of his contract it is disgusting that a person is being put accountable for a fee that he had nothing to do with. Chelsea decided the fee, Chelsea decided to kick Mutu out on his **** and Chelsea should deal with the consequences of those decisions.

Mutu decided on his contract, Mutu decided to take cocaine so Mutu should be charged in account of the decisions that he made.

£14m is a life destroying amount of money to lose and as he can't play for 7 months it looks unlikely he has an obvious way of making it back. Will both of you be singing the praises of justice if he ends up hanging himself or if his family bear the brunt of the financial losses?
He is hardly going to hang himself and if he does then it would be a selfish act that will ruin his family's lives far more than a loss of some money.

tbh it will be sad if those things happens as a result of this, But it will be his fault no-one else, As you said, he signed the contract, he took the cocaine, He made them decisions. So he is responsible and is no finally taking some responsiblity for his actions. He Done it a 2nd time now, Maybe this we make him wake up and stop being a ****.

Ahhh, I get where you're coming from (H) Fair point with the excessive fee, but I still agree with the prinicipal of fining Mutu a large amount of money as he was unable to fulfill the duration of his contract.

Lol many millionaires have gone bankrupt, they don't hang themselves lol, Mike Tyson went bankrupt.. It's not the end of the world XD

I get your point, it's just really, really flawed. He knew what he was agreeing to when signing his contract. You are blaming Chelsea, but if it was my club I'd want my money back.. CAS made the decision and to be honest it could have been worse Chelsea wanted another £22m because they had to replace him (Drogba I think?) but he got off that charge. He should think himself lucky :)

Oh yeah and I do actually agree it is a massive fee for one man to pay but lets be honest, they are only doing it to make an example of him, and it will work.

Last edited:
He deserves everthing his getting, this man had a talent and a privilege doing what he does and he abused it not once but twice. Selfish lowlife of a man if you ask me it's players like mutu who give footballers a bad name saying their greedy self centrerd people.

I agree the amount is excessive but Mutu brought it upon himself

Kind of agree with JoeBeton.

It's a dangerous precedent that's been set here and I'm not sure I like it, much as I have little sympathy for Mutu.

The portion of the transfer fee that Mutu received would be fair game, but the full amount strikes me as ludicrous given that he has absolutely no control over how much a club is willing to pay in order to have the exclusive right to play him nor does he receive the full amount personally.

Back