Reaction score
I had just brought Oldham from Coca Cola 1 to Prem then Blackburn offers me a job. I've got a week left in summer market and can't do anything too good with the team I've got. So i went to devise a tactic around who I had to play with and who I could get. this was new to me, I've always been a 4 2 3 1 guy. But I decided if I was going to do anything with this **** team I was handed, I needed to play short possession boring Barca style football. So this came to be. I decided to work my new signings around this tactic. Fast forward at the end of the season, I won Carlin, FA and made 5th for Europa spot. Next season I won Prem, FA, Europa. Third season I won FA Prem Carlin and came in second in CL. Liverpool then sacked Rafa, in 2017 and offered me the job. I brought 3 coaches and this tactic with me. 2 Prems, 2 CLs, 2 FA 2 Carlin 1 Club WC. Then I got bored of winning... frankly it just became too easy... and I decided to go back to my first love of this continuous game, the team I started with some 5 months ago, York City. I had brought them to Prem from BSP but doing bad when I left. They however had become a solid midtable Championship team. After my oddball 4 1 2 2 1 to which most of the team but one striker resisted, finally got off the ground it was literally an instantaneous turnaround.

I'll post the tactic later when I'm on my home comp.

But basically this is the setup:

2 CD, mostly staying back, very rarely crossing the middle line, The DL and DR are on full back automatic, and I've picked players who can do WB as well as DL or DR.

DM is one lone guy who just holds, gets forward every once in a while but not much.

Mids and att mids sort of hold up play between the 4 of them as much as they can, waiting for that chance and moment when the striker will sneak in through the defense, get the ball and score.

Striker needs to have decent first touch and above 15 finishing as well as good acceleration for the surprise runs.

I usually operate narrow width, depending on who i'm playing it's either control or counter and touchline "retain" and "pass to feet"

Here it is.

And yes, I find Barcelona style of play extremely boring. Yes I have seen them live, yes I am in awe of how amazingly well they do what they do, yes I think they're absolute quality throughout but at the same time, watching them play is just as fun for me as watching Rafa Benitez press conferences. They're both plain disgustingly boring.

Last edited: