My Attempt at the Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

SteVieBizzLe

Reaction score
*I Will come back and add in screenshots later*

Saw this posted on teh interwebz and thought it filled an excuse to have a proper long term save going, as I have a notoriously bad habit of jumping in and out of saves.

For those that don't know what the SAF challenge is, you can see the details here:

The SAF Challenge - Football Manager 2013 Forum (FM 2013) - Neoseeker Forums

Basically the premise is holiday to the 6th of November, take over which ever club happens to be in 19th in the Premier League and within 27 seasons try and make them as successful as Man Utd were in that period.

The team I took over was Stoke City.

A quick look through the team and their key players I identified the following:

Ryan Shawcross

English defender who had a brief international career following a high profile poor performance, and rather unfairly has never been given another chance. Very solid defender, not world class, but solid. I want him to be the key to holding my team together, basically my Gary Pallister or Jaap Stam type player.

Charlie Adam

From my experience, Adam is a bit of a Marmite player, some love him, others hate him. Came to notoriety when Blackpool came to the Premier League which led to a move to Anfield, which never really worked out. Charlie now plys his trade at Stoke and I want to mould him into the Scholes of my Stoke team, pulling the strings and making things happen.

Marko Arnautovic

Ah the 'David Beckham' of the current Stoke set-up, great Right Winger. Ideally getting the best out of Marko could lead to some good results, making him get down the wing and swing in good crosses like Beckham used to do will be a solid tactic given Stoke City's good average Height and Strength

Munir

The surprise package, I take over to find that Stoke have managed to bring in Munir on loan from Barcelona. Terrific young player that fills many forward positions. My 'Ryan Giggs' for the season, I hope he can be as influential.

Bojan

We all know about Bojan, still to truly fill his amazing potential from years past, currently out with injury but when he back I hope to have him as my main Striker. Perhaps my appointment can be the spark he needs to finally become world class?

So that is a brief analysis of my current 'key' players, Stoke have a decent squad with Victor Moses in on loan, Stephen Ireland, Steven N'Zonzi, Marc Muniesa, Asmir Begovic, Peter Crouch and Peter Odemwingie as well as several others. We have a strong, determined bunch of players a strength I plan to use to my advantage massively.

Season 1

My first game in charge sees my take Stoke against Everton, who are pushing the top 7 at this early stage of the season. Stoke haven't been that bad so far this season, just too many draws by the looks of things, so morale is not too bad. New manager coming in probably helped.

We line up in kind of a 4-1-4-1 / 4-3-3 system, where we have 2 solid banks of 4, plus a DM in defence, but can break forward with pace on the flanks to create a 4-3-3 when attacking. We lined up like this:

GK: Begovic
DR: Bardsley
DC: Shawcross
DC: Muniesa
DL: Wilson
DM: Cameron
MR: Arnautovic
MC: N'Zonzi
MC: Adam
ML: Munir
ST: Crouch

The game played out quite cagily, we played solid and actually had more of the ball than Everton which was surprising and we got unlucky on several occasions. Stoke win the game 1-0 thanks to a Shawcross header, but we could of done better. Good start though.

2nd Game of my revolution sees my lead Stoke to Sunderland, another fellow struggler. We now sit in 14th after our win at Everton and Sunderland sit 19th, potential 6 pointer.

DM: N'Zonzi
MC: Palacios
ML: Moses
ST: Munir

The game is much more open than the Everton game, players seem to have a bit more confidence about them, but that quickly fades as we slump to a 2-0 deficit after a scrappy goal from Jack Rodwell and an absolute screamer from Giacherini. However, Stoke change things up bring on recently fit again Jon Walters and Stephen Ireland, which prove to be genius moves from the manager as the pair score a goal each to save a point. 2-2.

Game 3, and Arsenal arrive at the Britannia Stadium, sitting 3rd and looking at a good season ahead, this does not look good for Stoke, but we are unbeaten in 6 games so not in bad form ourselves.

DM: Cameron
MC: Ireland
ML: Moses
ST: Munir

The game is ridiculously open, Arsenal throwing players forward leaving acres of space for Munir, Moses and Arnautovic to abuse on the counter. Despite some appalling goal keeping from Begovic, letting in 4 goals, Stoke pull out a 5-4 win after a Munir hat-trick and goals from Moses and Arnautovic paper of the defensive cracks. Changes will be made for the next game.

We are now 12th in the league.

West Brom up next, stay tuned.

Last edited:
Not a bad team to start with, always wanted to see Stoke reach the heights of Europe! Try adding some screenshots in to improve the quality of the post, good luck! :)

Not a bad team to start with, always wanted to see Stoke reach the heights of Europe! Try adding some screenshots in to improve the quality of the post, good luck! :)

Thanks for the comment Werrett, although about screenshots, see the very first thing i posted ;) I am at work so don't have my FM laptop with me. Will put Screenshots up later.