Bozzy08

Reaction score
I bought the game last night and decided to resist the temptation of managing Liverpool and looked at the BSN/BSS with a view to play the game like a real man :)

I played Boston Utd back in the Premiership Manager days, i'm talking early/mid 90's :p so I for no other reason i decided to pick them.

I have 0k to spend but it's all about free transfers at this level.

In FM11 i used a 4231 with a high def line and inside forwards i realise this may need a little tweaking for the lower leagues i fancied having a strong aerial target man to lay off the long balls to my IF's and other ST.

I've opted for the following formation

GK
RB - Full back - attack
DC - Def
DC - Def
LB - Full Back - attack
Using a high line with offside but making sure i have a couple of fast center backs.
The full backs have good acceleration and the ability to cross and dribble, they keep wide and maintain the width when attacking as the IF's will cut side or overlap.

DMC - Def mid - Defend This guy is sat directly infront of defence as the full backs attack he offers that needed support.

MC - Advance playmaker -Support. Sat alone in the center this guys needs to been a good all rounder with creavity

AML+AMR - inside forwards attack. i tried to get a couple of fast dribblers. They are here to score or feed the ST's and I find insdie forwards work well with attacking fulbacks.

ST target Man support - I normally play with an AMC in the higher leagues but due to the nature of low league footy there will be long balls and this guys with good strength and aerial skills lays of the high balls to the other st and IF along with scoring a few himself.

ST - Trequ - attack I was lucky enough to pick up a spanish 31 y o ST who is the star of the team and excells in playing this free roll.

I play control, with a mixed passing game, pressing, with a high def line and offside trap. creative freedom is high for most.

I practically rebuilt the side with free transfers and after 10 games they are now settling in. I hope to finish in a playoff position or above. I will update later with my signings and league position so far.

Thanks,
Boz.

Last edited:
Heh, I just beat Boston Utd. in my Gloucester save :p

Yeah, with BSN/BSS teams you really have to tweak the **** out of your formations to get your players to really respond. Looks like you got lucky with the Spaniard :)

To save some money, you may want to get rid of your youth coaches until you have decent money rolling in to start building up your youth team (probably around L2) and get more first team coaches until then.

I've had poor luck with playing off-sides, even with speedy CB's, but I do play attacking 4-3-3 (4, 1 dm, 2cm, 2 wingers, forward) which keeps my team playing attractive football but keeping it tighter than a nun's **** in the back.

yes i did get lucky with the spaniard but he won't extend his contract, time to go shopping for a replacement

I finished 1 point behind the leaders, Histon they had 83 points. i had a **** mid season due to injury and no squad depth.
I won the playoffs pretty comfortably.

I've managed to keep a few star players but i need a new all round striker and a coulpe more key players before i can think about challenging for the BSP.

Managing the wage bill is still a pain in the ****.

My best players were as follows and i recommend to anyone playing in the Blue Square leagues:

Pablo Counago ST - 30+ goals and well known already on the forums as the one to buy
Oliver Nicholas DC - An awesome young DC that just got better as the season went on 10 + goals from corners
Trent McClenahan RB - his stats are awesome, regular 7+ rating and plently of assists.
Nikki Ahamed RB/AMR - Bought as a RB but soon made AMR spot his own with regular assists.
George Thompson AML - was second in line until injury made him the regular, plently of goals and assists

Wish me luck in BSP, time to go shopping for a star.
Boz.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

i tweak the formation mid season and droppped the target man for a Box to box midfielder - seems to be working ok.

Good job getting Nikki! ******* turned me down, but he is awesome. VERY consistent for me in the past, and yeah, he makes lovely assists.

Nice one, mate, it seems like you're doing very well. Nice to see you tweaking and thinking about the tactical side of things, not like some idiots who play LLM and just post 'i need help im boston united can u suggest players and tactics and stuff thnx will keep u updated'. Just out of curiousity, where are Boston United based?

Well done mate! On my save, Boston Utd had an average of 1000+ fans per home game, so you must have been getting quite a bit of ticket sales money rolling in.

Once you start filling out those stands, your finances will start getting better. Just go slow and don't get promoted too fast because wages will start eating through and destroying everything. I had that problem in FM11 with Lewes. Got promoted to L1 after successive years, but each year the bastards wanted more money or the promotion wage clause kicked in. Soon it got to the point where I was losing money, regardless of filling out the stands.

Well season 2 was a rollercoaster ride!

I made a good GK signing Karius his stats just keep improving all the time, i recommend to anyone in the lower leagues.
I also managed to keep Counago and sign an awesome MC playmaker, Sean Thornton. Other than this is really struggled to make any excellent signings, players just weren't interested in lowly Boston Utd :(

Performances were very in consistant and i found myself playing a more defense tatic away from home and for tough home games. i was sat in second 3 points adrift from the league leaders then with the help of a couple of injuries i lost my last 6 games...i was like WFT!!!!

I went on the lose in the playoffs....very gutted!

In close season i seemed to have more luck in the transfer market, Ekong was my best signing DC/MC. I played him as DC played well and scores from corners regular.

I'm plyaing the following formation now:

GK
LB - Support Full back
DC
DC
RB - Support Full back
DMC - Defensive midfielder - Defend
MCR - Ball winning mid - Support
MC - Advanced playmaker - Support
AML - Inside Forward - Attack
AMR - Insider Forward - Attack
ST - Target Man - Attack or poacher depending on who plays

Fluid - Standard.
Pass to Both Flanks
Starting Shouts: Clear to Flank, Look for overlap.

Season 3:

Well i though i had a great chance of winning the league but after 12 games i was sat outside the playoffs wondering what had gone wrong!!!!
A few little tweaks to player instructions and results improved. I started taking notes while watching the games in highlights mode and make changes to individual players training prefered moves and game instructions, something i'd suggest everyone does.
The January transfer windows was very interesting, after a couple of hours working my way throught the U21, U19 of europeans teams and found a few regen stars that were surprisingly interested. this help me rack up 90 points by the end of the season.
and so did Grimsby with GD the same it came down to that last game as they had scored more goals than me i needed a result. i'd just won 5 on the bounce so i was hoping they would slip up and they did, they drew 1-1...... i was at home but i must have hit the woodwork 5 times ffs!! FT whistle went and it was 1-1 for me too... playoffs again on goals scored!!!
I met Luton in the final they had a very strong team and afetr extra time it was penaltys! i was cursing previous results and could barely watch the screen. After a Few awesome saves from Karius it finshed 4-2 on pens and promotion to League 2.

I hope the board go pro now, i've been pestering them since day one!!!

Hopefully season 4 goes well.

Last edited:
One good signing I made with Workington for the Conference was Gombala when he was released by Birmingham, great poacher. I ended up in debt with Workington, added soem funds then felt guilty for cheating so im starting again with Droylsden.

Sounds like you going great guns though mate

I live about 15 mins away from Boston, utter shithole.

I had success at this level with Stalybridge Celtic, signing premiership youths on loan and then free transfers. I'm not sure how achievable this is on fm12, but it is worth considering. Once they have a decent loan season they usually list your club in their favourites, so it is quite easy to sign them when they inevitably get released.

I'll check out Gombala.

Never been to Boston, it's just a team i was back in the early 90's while playing Premier Manager :p

Thanks for the tip, i'll look at loaning. Recent attempts to loan have failed the players i want just aren't interested.

One thing i will say is don't be scared to re-invent yourself depending on your quality signings. I managed to get some decent U19's strikers from Germany, Austria and Serbia. Along with a very good egyptian WB. I won't name them as they are re-gens. I picked up and Brazillian/Austrian DMC deep playmaker. so decided to create a new formation to suit as i couldn't get the players to fill AML/R positions.

It resulted in the following:
GK
RB - Wing Back - Attack
DC - Defend
DC - Defend
LB - Wing Back - Attack
DMC - Deep Laying Playmaker - Defend
DMC - Defensive midfielder - Defend
MC - Advanced playmaker - Support
ST - Targetman - Attack
ST - Defensive Forward - Attack
ST - Targetman - Support

Fluid
Control
Pressing more
a decent amount of creative freedom for the DLP

As the wingbacks push up the DMC's re-inforce the defence and when up the pitch it's like playing with a 5 man midfield.
The 3 strikers give many options and swamp the opposition defence. The ST's also close down early and i often retake posession before it gets to my defence.
I would advise if anyone were to use this your CB's have 11+ acc/pace and the WB's along with speed have good stamina otherwise they will be exhausted by half time. Currently sat 1st in League 2 with half the season gone....looking good for promotion.

Last edited:
Well I completely spanked League 2 finished in 1st with a 100 points an 90+ goals scored. The problem now is keeping my U19's superstars, I keep rejecting the bids....i can see the board stepping in soon.

I've managed to pick up and star 18 o y irish anchor man, just what i needed to sit in front of the CB's when the WB's attack. other than that i can't see much young european talent, i'll keep looking though...time well spent. I've got 5 irish, 4 italians and 3 germans the rest are from eastern europe.

I think moving to league 1 is a big step up, i think i'm looking at atleast two season from I go up to the Championship. I find it really hard to find english or HG players which are good enough to get in the side.... decent local players are still not insterested in joining the mighty Boston Utd. Consequently I struggling to field the right amount of HG players for some games.... time for a re-think.

Nicely done I actually just committed to Boston Utd.. going to start with them tonight

Just had a quick read, really interesting stuff. Might get FM12 for Christmas so I'm looking at potential ideas as I've been playing FM for years but never done one of these LLM games. Any updates for us mate?

Hi Bozzy

Its nice that you are doing a game with Boston Utd, I am too, as they are my hometown club. Are u using FM2011? What season are you currently?

I am just starting my 9th season on FM2011. I have just managed to get promoted into the Championship having just won Leauge 1. I also won the JPT the season before. I have gotten promoted in my second season in each division.

BSN 2010/11 - 2nd lost in playoffs.
BSN 2011/12 - 1st by 5pts.
BSP 2012/13 - 8th 20pts off 1st.
BSP 2013/14 - 1st by 11pts.
L2 2014/15 - 19th 34pts off 1st.
L2 2015/16 - 3rd 10pts off 1st.
L1 2016/17 - 17th 32pts off 1st.
L1 2017/18 - 1st.

I have screen shots for Leauge Tables, Transfers and Best 11 + some extras for every season. If you are interested.

I gonna try and stick with this all the way to PL win and CL win. Never managed it before.

Good Luck
Nick

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any semi decent staff willing to come to Boston in the 1st or 2nd season in fm12.