Ghost77

Reaction score
Hi there,

at first I want to say, this is not a rant. Just a few things I would like to know, becuase it occures very often in my saves. I hope some of you will help me with that and of course feel free to use this thread for your own questions. Let's start:

1) Consistency. How do you guys do it, that you keep scoring "good" results through out the whole season? I had some good saves, but usually I have very long streaks. In my last Nottingham Forest save I tweaked my tactic from time to time, rotated well a didn't lose in 20 matches in the start of the season. That was great, but after this some loses came and haven't won in another 16 matches (with no major injuries, quite good morale, started to tweak more after 5-6 bad matches). In the end of the season there were some ups and downs but I didn't manage to win two games in a row. Weird is, that the scenario is very similiar almost every save and everything works when tactics are not learned very well.. When they are accomplished I usually start to lose.. Maybe they are **** :D

2) How to be effective as AI? Again, this is not a rant, I know that AI don't recognize you in the game. But effectivity of my teams in comparsion with AI opponents is generally bad. Many woodwork shots, many blocked shots. I tend to play more possession based football, so it's logical in a way, when my team dominates. What drives me crazy is, that my players don't score from the exactly the same situations as AI do. It doesn't seem to be a tactical problem.

3) How to defend and attack in numbers like AI? It always amazes me, how opponent teams are doing this through out the whole match. For example they start with 4-2-3-1, which is quite offensive and they are dominating. But when I get the ball, they all except the lone forward get back to own half and overload the space, so it's almost impossible for me to attack. I get, they can have good fitness levels, but in my eyes it is impossible to play like that for 90 minutes. In one sentece: they are attacking with ten people, defending with ten people. I tried really hard to make it work like that with my teams, but I usually end up with no people in attack or no people in defence. (Generally I have no problem with scoring goals, just curious how they do it)

4) Do you also have so many own goals? With different tactics? In my last game before I logged there my defender just put the ball in his own goal from six yard box after cross from left side when there was no pressure, no attacker at all.. I usually concede about 6-10 own goals in one season (with different teams, different tactics) The number is ridiculously high in my opinion. Woodwork shots are even more absurd. I usually have 2-5 in a match.

5) Penalty shotouts. Do you have balanced results? I started to count few saves ago. In 2 cases I won, in 9 cases I lost. I really don't get it. I usually have about 3 good penalty takers in team, some average, but have no luck with any strategy. I am looking at age, experience, professionalism, composure, concentration and so on, trying to change the order. But still my best takers are terrible. Weird is that my average takers with penalties like 10, composure 11, concentration 8 have generally better results than players with 18, 15, 15.

6) Do players on the pitch do what you want them to do? Example: My right back took the ball five metres from own penalty area, he has two free options, no pressure from attacker, who is 10-15 metres from him. He has short passing PI, cross less often PI, whole team has retain possession active and short passing also. Still he takes long ball 15 meters behind my attacker. Lost ball. I don't get that one. Thought it was because of poorer mental stats as I am playing usually in Championship, but even better players do this and other similar things, they are not instructed to.

7) My players are sometimes waiting for opponent players. Example: We had a corner, opponent defence kicked the ball to the middle of the pitch. My left back usually stays in this area. He has 15 meters to the ball, opponent attacker about 30 meters. Still my player is just walking towards the ball while attacker is sprinting like ****. Why is my player waiting for confrontation, when there is a lot of time to get the ball and pass it? Is this tactic related? I doubt it personally.

8) Don't know if that happens to you, but when I get some injury for i.e. left winger, in few days I usually get the backup left winger injured too. It happens also to AI teams in my saves. No problem with that, but I am always laughing my *** off, because I always feel like oracle. It feels very gamey.

Thanks for answers, guys.

Last edited:
1) Consistency. How do you guys do it, that you keep scoring "good" results through out the whole season? I had some good saves, but usually I have very long streaks. In my last Nottingham Forest save I tweaked my tactic from time to time, rotated well a didn't lose in 20 matches in the start of the season. That was great, but after this some loses came and haven't won in another 16 matches (with no major injuries, quite good morale, started to tweak more after 5-6 bad matches). In the end of the season there were some ups and downs but I didn't manage to win two games in a row. Weird is, that the scenario is very similiar almost every save and everything works when tactics are not learned very well.. When they are accomplished I usually start to lose.. Maybe they are **** :D

A good tactic will see that the team is more consistent. That doesn't mean sit back and press continue until your brain is numb. Things don't always go as planned, so that's why you can make changes. That's where real life managers really earn their bucks.

2) How to be effective as AI? Again, this is not a rant, I know that AI don't recognize you in the game. But effectivity of my teams in comparsion with AI opponents is generally bad. Many woodwork shots, many blocked shots. I tend to play more possession based football, so it's logical in a way, when my team dominates. What drives me crazy is, that my players don't score from the exactly the same situations as AI do. It doesn't seem to be a tactical problem.
Sounds like it is tactical though. You're specifically playing a possession game. The AI isn't that advanced yet. In a possession game, there probably WILL be more blocked shots. It's just logical? You keep the ball, but also allow the opposition to get back into position, so you'll need patience and decent movement.

3) How to defend and attack in numbers like AI? It always amazes me, how opponent teams are doing this through out the whole match. For example they start with 4-2-3-1, which is quite offensive and they are dominating. But when I get the ball, they all except the lone forward get back to own half and overload the space, so it's almost impossible for me to attack. I get, they can have good fitness levels, but in my eyes it is impossible to play like that for 90 minutes. In one sentece: they are attacking with ten people, defending with ten people. I tried really hard to make it work like that with my teams, but I usually end up with no people in attack or no people in defence. (Generally I have no problem with scoring goals, just curious how they do it)
Don't set up like the AI. They're **** at choosing roles. You know what they do better than most people? They use Support duties. Users, especially here, love to be far too attacking.

You need to also clarify whether you're being countered or whether it's just a 'normal' attack.

4) Do you also have so many own goals? With different tactics? In my last game before I logged there my defender just put the ball in his own goal from six yard box after cross from left side when there was no pressure, no attacker at all.. I usually concede about 6-10 own goals in one season (with different teams, different tactics) The number is ridiculously high in my opinion. Woodwork shots are even more absurd. I usually have 2-5 in a match.
I don't concede own goals at all and I rarely score through own goals.

Woodwork hits can be high (something seems off with shots at an angle) so I'm guessing your shots are from tight angles.

5) Penalty shotouts. Do you have balanced results? I started to count few saves ago. In 2 cases I won, in 9 cases I lost. I really don't get it. I usually have about 3 good penalty takers in team, some average, but have no luck with any strategy. I am looking at age, experience, professionalism, composure, concentration and so on, trying to change the order. But still my best takers are terrible. Weird is that my average takers with penalties like 10, composure 11, concentration 8 have generally better results than players with 18, 15, 15.
I win most. Concentration isn't a factor.

It's Body Language, Composure and Penalty Taking.

6) Do players on the pitch do what you want them to do? Example: My right back took the ball five metres from own penalty area, he has two free options, no pressure from attacker, who is 10-15 metres from him. He has short passing PI, cross less often PI, whole team has retain possession active and short passing also. Still he takes long ball 15 meters behind my attacker. Lost ball. I don't get that one. Thought it was because of poorer mental stats as I am playing usually in Championship, but even better players do this and other similar things, they are not instructed to.
My players do exactly what I want them to. If they don't... I make a change.

Sounds like very poor instructions. Short Passing + Shorter Passing + Retain Possession's Shorter Passing makes for a VERY short passing range. Then, on top of that, you're asking players not to play passes into space.

7) My players are sometimes waiting for opponent players. Example: We had a corner, opponent defence kicked the ball to the middle of the pitch. My left back usually stays in this area. He has 15 meters to the ball, opponent attacker about 30 meters. Still my player is just walking towards the ball while attacker is sprinting like ****. Why is my player waiting for confrontation, when there is a lot of time to get the ball and pass it? Is this tactic related? I doubt it personally.
Could be bug, could be something else. Don't know.

last thing (nr 7) is a big problem for me too, and often from crossing positions my fullbacks or wingers simply wait for the opposition defender to close him down before trying to cross. which leads to blocked crosses most of the time.

last thing (nr 7) is a big problem for me too, and often from crossing positions my fullbacks or wingers simply wait for the opposition defender to close him down before trying to cross. which leads to blocked crosses most of the time.
That's a completely different situation to what the OP described. Yours may well be tactical.

A good tactic will see that the team is more consistent. That doesn't mean sit back and press continue until your brain is numb. Things don't always go as planned, so that's why you can make changes. That's where real life managers really earn their bucks.

I always try to react to the situations and opponents in my tactics. Maybe I am not good enough in it, maybe my tactics aren't good enough. Still frustrating though as the first 20 matches in the mentioned season looked really well and it worked the way I wanted. Then it all just inverted to aboslute disaster. Players sometimes weren't able make a 3 meter pass. Felt really helpless, although I tried to make some elementary changes and tweaks and morale was still quite good.

Sounds like it is tactical though. You're specifically playing a possession game. The AI isn't that advanced yet. In a possession game, there probably WILL be more blocked shots. It's just logical? You keep the ball, but also allow the opposition to get back into position, so you'll need patience and decent movement.

Yes, as I mentioned I expect to have more blocked shots with possession football. I wasn't clear enough before. I meant blocked shots deeply in penalty area or six yard box not necessarily after domination phase from my team. When my players make quick counter or "normal" quick action they tend to miss or get blocked in the last possible moment. AI teams seem to be much more effective in the exactly same situations. I am really not sure what to do tacticaly to make it better.

Don't set up like the AI. They're **** at choosing roles. You know what they do better than most people? They use Support duties. Users, especially here, love to be far too attacking.

You need to also clarify whether you're being countered or whether it's just a 'normal' attack.

Good point with the support duties, although I don't think I was too attacking with my tactic.

View attachment 133532

This is my basic shape with usual roles. Any nonsense on first sight? Playing standard/flexible or control/fluid depending on situation.

I don't concede own goals at all and I rarely score through own goals.

Woodwork hits can be high (something seems off with shots at an angle) so I'm guessing your shots are from tight angles.

Ok, I have many of them with different tactics. So there must be something I always do in my tactics, that causes it. As I mentioned 6-10 on my last seasons.

About the woodwork. The most frequent is crossbar from inside of penalty area. My main striker has shoot with power ppm, so it can be caused by this, but other don't have it and they frequently hit it too.

I win most. Concentration isn't a factor.

It's Body Language, Composure and Penalty Taking.

Ok, I don't know what to do then. I swear I take body language, composure and penalties into consideration in every shotout. I don't believe it's bad luck.

My players do exactly what I want them to. If they don't... I make a change.

Sounds like very poor instructions. Short Passing + Shorter Passing + Retain Possession's Shorter Passing makes for a VERY short passing range. Then, on top of that, you're asking players not to play passes into space.

Could be poor instructions. I made him pass shorter and cross less as he isn't very good passer and lost a lot of possession with needless crosses. But even if it is poor, don't know why he is still passing long without pressure and with two or three free players around him. One of my TI's is pass into space.

Sometimes I find if you instruct them to pass shorter so much, then the radius in which you're telling him he's allowed to pass in is so small, there won't be anyone in it most of the time so will clear it down line.

Sometimes I find if you instruct them to pass shorter so much, then the radius in which you're telling him he's allowed to pass in is so small, there won't be anyone in it most of the time so will clear it down line.

Yes, I know that, but he is doing it also without the instructions. I just tried to stop him somehow.