My FC Porto Project (Fellow forum members, have a say in re-building this squad!)

pebsykid

Reaction score
Long story short I have yet to start this save; my STEAM account got hacked and am (im)patiently waiting for it to be unlocked, which has given me a lot of time to read a lot of threads on here, as well as other sites, as I plan out this save and provide a detailed story of it on the site.

First off, I will be using LFC Marshall's newest update for this. I am looking to takeover in June, and using the editor I am contemplating placing Danilo and Alex Sandro back on the squad. My reasoning was that I would not have sold these players, and this is something I usually do when starting a save, though its a bit 'gamey' in this situation as Danilo signed before June (31 March 2015), though the Alex Sandro signing happened in August and placing him back on the squad is appropriate, so let me know how you feel about that.

My goal for the save is to sell most of the first team, to afford myself the largest transfer budget as I have a large number of players I am looking to bring in. As I cant open Football Manager at the moment, this is where I need the help from you members; which players on Porto (preferably LFC Marshall's latest transfer update) are homegrown and for the Portuguese league (this is my first time playing it) how many players must I have that are either 'trained at club' and 'homegrown'?

As a guideline for this save and story, I will be starting off by stating something along the lines of; "FC Porto are looking to shed the title of a selling club, and looking to seriously contend year in and year out for the Champions League and improving the reputation of domestic football in Portugal." The transfer budget is set to around 20 million from what Ive read, still debating whether to up it to maybe 35-40, due to the success of making huge profits on players in the past decade. With the sale of players such as Brahimi, Herrera, Imbula, Martins Indi, Osvaldo and a few others, I am hoping to have around 90 million in the kitty.

Now for the fun part, and this is where I will require and consider your input, which players do I bring in. Here is a short(kinda) list of players I am considering (the values are rough and taken from what I have read fellow FM'ers getting these players for):

Nathan - 6.5M (AMC/MC)
Balanta - 9M (DC)
Lucas Romero - 9M (MC/DMC)
Malcom - 17M (ST/AML)
Barbosa - 8.5M [+Agent] (ST/AMC/AMR)
Tielemans - 14.5M (MC/AMC)
= 64.5M (rough estimate)

The bolded players are ones I have purchased in my only other FM15 save with Barca and who were brilliant and the first I will be looking to pursue. This second list is a mix of bargains and top prospects I have come across reading various stories and shortlists:

Guido Vadala - 4.9M (AMC/ST)
Matias Kranevitter - 4.5M (DMC/MC)
Tony Sanabria - 825K (ST)
Gaston Gil Romero - 6M (DMC/MC)
Andre Cubas - 5M (DMC)
Fabio Castellano - 1.3M [Release Clause] (MC/AMC/AML)
Emanuel Mamana - 5M (DC)
Sergio Diaz - 275K (ST/AML)
Luka Jovic - 1.86M [Release Clause] (AML/ST)
Federico Bonazzoli - 2.3M [Release Clause] (ST)
Jesus Vallejo - 1.1M [Release Clause] (DC/DMC)
=38.9M

This puts me at 103 Million, but I will be scouting all these players and won't be signing all of them, thus the rough estimate of needing around 90 Million. Also, I will be looking to add in clauses, future fees and so on, if I am finding myself a bit short of funds. The final list, are players who are a bit more expensive who I also am very interested in:

Breel Embolo - ??? (AMC/ST)
Gerson - 10M (Maybe)
Carlos - 15M (Maybe)
Kenedy - 15M (Maybe)
Carlos Fierro - 6M (Maybe)

My list is attacker heavy, along with central mids, and I can use suggestions for fullbacks and keepers, though I am now looking at adding Joel Pereira as perhaps my future keeper. I am looking to build this squad around primarily South American and Portuguese players, and because their is a severe lack of Portuguese wonderkids, I will be looking to bring up the next 'Golden Generation' through my youth system.

I will also add that current Porto players Ruben Neves, Andre Silva and Quintero are all in my plans. Thanks for reading this long post, and helping me out with further suggestions on players, how to improve this save, and so on. I really want to put forth an enjoyable story for all of you to read once I get FM back.

Cheers,

Pebsykid.

Last edited:
So, basically you're planning to open up FM15 Wonderkids.txt and sign all of them? :D

So, basically you're planning to open up FM15 Wonderkids.txt and sign all of them? :D

Haha, to an extent. But really, this is more so of a refined shortlist. I will bring in maybe half of the players mentioned in reality, as one of the biggest issues Ive always had in FM saves is having too many good players and making picking the starting XI a bit of a nightmare. I am looking to rotate more in this save, but don't want to have 9 strikers for example, as Id like to keep this squad together as long as possible and not have to contend with players wanting to leave every second month due to lack of playing time.

Btw, I've just signed Bonazzoli to my Wolves team after Icardi is out for the whole season...

Btw, I've just signed Bonazzoli to my Wolves team after Icardi is out for the whole season...

Let me know how he does mate. I have had an immense amount of success with this tactic (Tuga Tweak by Cyril, excellent work if you read this!) with only a few tweaks by myself [moved the BWM to the middle and made the LCM a roaming playmaker as well] and will be using it as one of my three.

View attachment 227061

So I envision Bonazzoli stepping into that Targetman role if I decide to sell Aboubakar or he doesn't pan out.

So no one has any experience with the above mentioned players they'd wish to share :p. Im just looking to bring in the guys I figure would fit best with each other.

Still no movement on the Steam account issue, getting really antsy here! Theirs only so much you can plan haha.

Ill build on the question than, what are your guys' experiences with either Gaston Gil Romero or Matias Kranevitter?

Last edited:
bought gaston gil for 5 million pounds second season with united, played as part of my rotation behind javi martinez, pogba, schneiderlin, and schweinstager (lfc update).
sold him two seasons later for a crazy 38 million pounds!

I've had Tielemans, more that worth the money but you cannot rely on him, too injury prone

Very rarely out for a long time but he was regularly picking up injuries for a 1 week or two right before big games

Depends on Portos budget whether hes worth it, I did sign for about 14m possibly more after buying out the agent and sold for 60m plus a sell on percentage but I was Celtic so he was one of my best players who for a while I did need to get a win in the big Champions League games

Jordan Rhodes is a player I'd recommend, even in the big Champions League games he was scoring hat tricks regularly, Thrives on big matches and a consistent performer so round about the big games his form is just amazing and he takes it into the league/cup matches coming up after them

I've had Tielemans, more that worth the money but you cannot rely on him, too injury prone

Very rarely out for a long time but he was regularly picking up injuries for a 1 week or two right before big games

Depends on Portos budget whether hes worth it, I did sign for about 14m possibly more after buying out the agent and sold for 60m plus a sell on percentage but I was Celtic so he was one of my best players who for a while I did need to get a win in the big Champions League games

Jordan Rhodes is a player I'd recommend, even in the big Champions League games he was scoring hat tricks regularly, Thrives on big matches and a consistent performer so round about the big games his form is just amazing and he takes it into the league/cup matches coming up after them

Tielemans was brilliant in my Barca save and luckily for me did not get injured too often, but that is always a risk with that kind of player. I think Id play him often in the starting XI if I do get him, so I can start molding him from day one and also because in my Barca save, along with in FM14, Ive had bad luck with loaning him out. He always plays awful and then just ends up in the U19s of whichever team I loaned him too. If injuries become a problem, I figure from what you sold him for and reading other threads that I will have no problem offloading him for a nice fee.

Thanks for the Rhodes recommendation, I will for sure give him a good look when I start an English save at some point. For this save, I really want to focus on Portuguese/South American players, with a few exceptions (Tielemans & Jovic).

Tielemans was brilliant in my Barca save and luckily for me did not get injured too often, but that is always a risk with that kind of player. I think Id play him often in the starting XI if I do get him, so I can start molding him from day one and also because in my Barca save, along with in FM14, Ive had bad luck with loaning him out. He always plays awful and then just ends up in the U19s of whichever team I loaned him too. If injuries become a problem, I figure from what you sold him for and reading other threads that I will have no problem offloading him for a nice fee.

Thanks for the Rhodes recommendation, I will for sure give him a good look when I start an English save at some point. For this save, I really want to focus on Portuguese/South American players, with a few exceptions (Tielemans & Jovic).

It was PSG I sold to so you'd naturally expect a big fee but if hes a regular player for you and your teams doing well in Europe he should go for 40m minimum

Try Bernardo Silva from Monaco, hes Portuguese and they are usually looking to sell straight away for some reason for all hes already a great player and potentional to be even better

Just keep an eye on the Brazilians, I like to sign players as early as possible so they count as home grown players but I've made the mistake before of buying a Brazilian who was only 16 and couldn't join me for another 2 years till he turned 18

Last edited:
I was PSG I sold to so you'd naturally expect a big fee but if hes a regular player for you and your teams doing well in Europe he should go for 40m minimum

Try Bernardo Silva from Monaco, hes Portuguese and they are usually looking to sell straight away for some reason for all hes already a great player and potentional to be even better

Just keep an eye on the Brazilians, I like to sign players as early as possible so they count as home grown players but I've made the mistake before of buying a Brazilian who was only 16 and couldn't join me for another 2 years till he turned 18

Thanks for the tip on Bernardo Silva, he looks a very good player. Hopefully I can get him relatively cheap, or may look to work a deal for him involving Imbula.

Ya, I have done the same with Brazilians and even though I know, I still do it haha. I have been debating whether to go into the editor and make it so South American players can come over at any age. It would benefit the other clubs as well, just not sure whether it is a bit too gamey on my part.