My first shot at a tactic - authentic Total Football - please help!

Joey Numbaz

Reaction score
This is my first shot at creating a tactic from scratch. I want to replicate Total Football, the Dutch/Ajax tactic from the early 1970s. The goal here is to get as close to possible as the real life tactic. I am not worried about having the players to fit, that's something the transfer market can fix. I'm an Everton guy.

I've coddled this together based on descriptions I've read on different forums, articles, etc. I would really appreciate corrections, comments, etc.

Here's the formation. Attacking mentality and Very Fluid.

View attachment 419604

I chose this for the team instructions:

View attachment 419603

Some questions I have are what types of crosses to use. I'm pretty much guessing there. Also wondering about tempo. Is Much Higher the correct choice? Or just Higher?

The only individual instructions I gave are for the Wing Backs to Get Further with the Ball and Run Wide with the Ball. Could use some help there too.

Any thoughts on this? I know older versions of FM had trouble with the Libero, but I'm hoping this one can handle it better. I really want this to be as authentic as possible.

Another question I have is with the 3 midfielders ... should I drop the BWM back to a DM? Could I move him to the left slightly? Should the DC be in the middle and not to the right? Ideally I'd move the Libero to the left some but the tactic manager cannot handle that.

Thanks for any help!

I've attached the tactic also.

Last edited:
It looks really interesting but I would assume that you concede tons of goals with this tactic?

Thanks Zadix. I haven't used it yet. Wanted to get the specifics of what the tactic should be to be historically authentic, before using it in games. Was hoping to use this thread to come up with how it should be set up, since I don't have enough knowledge to do it on my own.