My Life, My Story, My Aim to become a Football Manager - Part Two!

Reaction score
(So yeah, the popular story is now back after losing the original save. I've made a few other saves but aint being able to be as commited to as I was with this, so I thought why not just bring it back?! This is going to be the last and final story oby me and im going to stick to it no matter what, even if im disliking it - il continue with it for my followers. Will be set out the same way, with some season/monthly reports and ofcourse creative writing throughout.)

Aim of Story - Become a world class football manager

My Life, My Story, My Aim..

My eyes open to the glowing in sunshine throw the blinds, I turn my head to the alarm clock - it's half ten in the morning, I roll over to grab my phone, checking for any messages or phone calls - nothing. I then put it down on the cabinet next to my bed, before pushing myself up and getting out - heading into the bathroom for a shower.

After spending over an hour getting myself ready, I head out the house heading down to the local newsagents for my daily paper, the Daily Record. Instantly flipping it over onto the back to read the sports as I head out the shop, reading the headline "Ally McCoist new Rangers gaffer". A small smirk came to my face, in my opinion McCoist isn't good enough for the job yet, but hey what do I know?

I walk back into my flat, where I jump on my laptop - checking for any new emails, finding none. I turn around to the television, where Sky Sports News is talking about the recent departure of Walter Smith from Rangers and speaking about Ally McCoist becoming there new manager. It made me think, I mean I understand McCoist was a great player for Rangers, but how in the **** should be be there new manager? What because he was an Assistant manager? Completely different, it seems anyone can be a manager these days..

Then it struck me, as I span around in my chair back to my laptop! I suddenly started to make a CV, a moment of sheer madness had made me want to be a football manager. I dont even know what i was thinking, hands shaking, face grinning with excitement as I typed out my CV for a managerial job. My past experiances? Ha! Doe's a manager in Asda count? Or how about a manager in a call centre? It's still more experiance in a managerial role than McCoist has!

By seven o'clock that night, my CV had been sent out to nearly every agent I was managed to get in contact to - hoping someone would help me out in my quest to become a football manager - I mean this was just a stupid idea, I probarly wouldn't get any feed back, until I recieved an email from a foreign guy called Juan Eposisto, who informed me he was willing to be my agent for a monthly fee - it seemed reasonable and I accepeted.

After meeting with Juan Eposisto a few times, and talking over what I wanted to achieve and presenting a well structured CV, it was time for my agent to try and link me to any job what was going, I wasn't caring - something to get my foot in the door, but I knew I would have to be paitent - I mean I need someone to lose there job first, harsh I know but it's a dog eat dog world I suppose..

Great start so far man. Keep up the good work!

Glad it back, loved the first story. Will definetly be following this one.

The Pilgrims Opportunity..

Ok, so we're now in Septemeber, it's been two months since my managerial search and still nothing's came up - my agent's still emanding his wage even though im still without a job, but I cant blame him to be honest, he's trying his best - I mean who want's to risk a un-experianced young football manager?

Watching Sky Sports News for the Gillete Soccer Saterday, while sitting back with my feet up and cracking a few beers. My phone suddenly goe's off andd it's my agent, I answer the phone as I sit back casually in the couch..

Me - "Yeah?"

Juan - "It's me, i've got a golden opportunity for you, some manager's getting sacked tommorow morning and the clubs interested in reducing it's wage budget, it's not ideal - but it's a chance for yourself if your willing to take a serious wage cut under the rest of managers who will be interested in the job"

Me - "Anything Juan? What we talking here? Foreign side? Lower leagues?"

Juan - "English League Two.."

Me - "Juan, that's massive, for my first job i've no chance.."

Juan - "Trust me on this would you? The clubs in turmoil, the need to save money its your way in - so take it while you can"

Me - "Alright, so what now?"

Juan - "Meet me tommorow at Glasgow Airport, 6 on the button. We've got a flight."

Unbelievable! A chance to manage in the NPower League Two, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass down, although I highly doubted I had a chance . I started to pick out my good suit from the wardrobe and packed a small case as I knew i would be there for at least a night, what was the club I was going to? I wasn't caring this was my first chance to get a managerial job in football.

15pj314.jpg

Plymouth Argyle! A club who's had some horrendous season in the last five years due to some serious adminstration problems and poor financial backing. The club have recently successfully completed a consortuim takeover, which paved the way of ex manager Fletchers fate. It was decided that the new owners wanted a new manager in, also wanting to save cash from the moneyless struck club. I now understood what Juan meant and I really saw this as an opportunity, I had a meeting with chairman of Plymouth Argyle Charles Villenueve.

A very long, dragged out meeting in his office, what seemed to go on for hours as we discussed what i could bring to Plymouth, I told him my amibtions, my aim and goals to achieve top things in football, exactly what he was wanting for Plymouth Football Club. He was impressed that none of the financial problems what has surrounded the club for many of years wasn't fazing me and was very keen on giving me a chance.

25jk084.jpg

After hours of discussion, I was finally offered a two year contract with Plymouth Argyle on a £800 a week contract. I was delighted with that, it was double the wages I was getting back home and it was doing something I loved. I was undercutting other managers by at least a thousand, which was also a big favour towards me. But Charles Villenueve informed he, he knew he was taking a massive risk on me, I wasn't to let him down and im not planning too.

Plymouth are currently sitting 4th in League Two after achieving eleven points from there first six games, which is very respectable. My first job in football management, I couldn't wait to get started and get to training to meet the players tommorow. My first game in charge would be at home against Bradford City, what..what a buzz.

Last edited:
Great updates so far! I love the writing, and I look forward to how the story will progress further.

Thats a pretty good first job!

A Month With The Pilgrims..

Ok, so a month down the road into my first ever football managerial job and it's not been a bad start if I may say so myself. Only one loss out of six games, which was to one of the main favourites to win the league this season, which was harsh because we deserved something out it, but il get to that soon enough.

Sone Aluko was brought in on a free transfer to cover the wing, a quick winger who could cause the defence problems with his pace and killer balls, was a bargain in my opinion. My first game of Plymouth Argyle would be against Bradford City, a big team but struggling again this season - even still Plymouth so far was over-achieving and was underdogs for this game against Bradford City - I fancied my chancies.

What a result, what a way to win my first game in chrage of Plymouth Argyle! We was absolute brilliant and completely out-played Bradford City in the first half, they just couldn't handle us. I was a little dissapointed when we eased off them in the seconf half, but hey? Why even bother pick? What a result for my first game in charge and what a result for Plymouth Argyle Football Club. If I keep results like these up, il win fans over in no time.

Torquay United next, a game what was always going to be tricky, especially away from home. Torquay who usually make a good challenge for the play-offs or even an automatic spot found themselves 8th going into today's game. I knew we had to perform today to get any type of result, people was expecting us to play a defensive approach, I however had other ideas.

It paid off, the risk of playing attacking football against Torquay away from home, proved the correct decision as we ran out winners after falling behind. It was an even game, which could of went either way in the first half, but it was Torquay what nodded themselves infront with a well-timed effort. I told the boys not to worry at half-time, there was still alot of football to be played and we brought right back in it just under the hour mark by a well-placed finish by Damian Casalinouvo. A dodgy looking penalty, it has to be said - was the decider in this match and thankfully it went our way as we turned the game around to run out winners, to make it two wins out of two for myself.

Last edited:
Great Story so far mate keep the good work hope you win league two :)

The dream continues..

After a pretty successful first month in charge of Plymouth, I was looking to keep it going when we travelled to Aldershot in the league. Aldershot who was currently sitting at the bottom half of the table, but still playing some attractive football had just came of a big win against Rotherham, so we knew that they would be pumped up for this game. I told my boy's to remain calm, we was favourites for a reason as we headed in also in good form.

Ok, a fairly good result, although I did feel like we could of got three points from this game. We was the better side, but you cant take anything away from Aldershot as they was able to hold there own, but it didn't make things easier for us when Bhasera got sent off after two yellow card offences, but we managed to hold on for a point, which under the circumstances I was delighted with.

Next up was current league leaders, Bristol Rovers. A side very much in form and was massive favourites for this game against us. "Need to make sure they do a proffesional job against Plymouth today.." was what the media had to say about it and that rallyed my boys up, nobody was giving us a chance but we knew how we could play and if we peformed to our best, we could be in with a shout.

Fantastic result, League leaders? Not anymore! A brilliant perfomance by my boys, what's proving to everyone this season that we really mean business. Nobody gave us a chance, especially when Bristol Rovers went a goal up early on, but we soon recovered and went on to dominate the entire game. We was simply flawless and Rovers just couldn't handle us and to be honest, they was lucky for it to finish just five goals. Exactly what i was looking for from the boys as everyone may now take our play-off bid seriously.

After a massive win like that, we was delighted to know our next game would be at home. Always give you the advantage I feel, it it's not already a known fact in football - our opponents was Oxford United. Now Oxford arn't a bad side to be fair, sitting 8th in league, as we're currently sitting 2nd! I told the boys, just do what we did at Bristol and we should have no problems.

Yeah..so that wasn't really on the cards. Didn't see that comign at all after such a great result the week before - we just couldn't find the net. Chance after chance and it was save after save by the Oxford United goalkeeper, we even hit the post twice - but it was totally one sided as Oxford missed a few chances themselves, but did get that vital goal which gave them all three points. I was dissapointed, because I really though we could go marching on after Bristol, but I just wasn't happening for us today and I told the players they was unlucky - it was time to quickly move on.

Move on to our next game, which was away to Macclesfield Town - now after losing at home to Oxford United, I realised that you just cant take games for granted and knew thios could pose a possible tricky tie for us. I told the boys to forget about the last game and focus on this one, let's get back to form and starting finding the net. The boy's was up for it, morale still high and a good buzz around the dressing room as we took on Macclesfield Town.

There we go, just like that and we're back on winning ways and last week is quickly forgotten. A very good win for us and the team showed great character to come back from a goal down to grab the three points. A blatant penalty gave Macclesfield the lead, but a goal right on half-time got us back in it at the best time possible. I told the lads tat the game's there for the taking and with just minutes remaining, Gary Wales fired home a fabulous strike to take all three points. Possibly goal of the season, but I wasn't caring - we got the goal we needed and more importantly the win.

Strugglign Burton Albion was next on our fixture list, at home aswell. Burton who's struggling this season, find themselves in the relegation zone, after failing to win any of there last seven games. Although it was a game we should be winning, I told the boy's not to get complacent, Burton was sure to make the game tricky and all it take's is one error or lack of concentration to give them the break, but I felt confident my player's wouldn't do that.

Very professional job indeed by us, we was in control right from the get go as we passed the ball around Burton's players. Never looked in danger at all throughout the game and the three nil score line was about right for the game, as we took the lead in the first half and finished it off early in the second with two quick fire goals. We never really had to up a gear as we pushed aside Burton for another three points and it's got to be said if Burton continue to play like that, then there in trouble this season, but still take nothing away from us, we was fantastic.

The final game of this month would be against Morecombe, before we take a slight break with the league as we have two cup ties coming up, one in the Johstones Trophy and another in the FA Cup, so it was important we ended in good spirits. I felt we had a strong enough side to get a result today, but Morecombe's a good side and have been very unlucky lately in term of results. We knew it would be a tough game.

Just as we expected, a very tight game as Morecombe was able to keep us from pressing too much in there half. We did take the lead however, Morecombe was able to level it up pretty quickly and then even go infront. We kept trying to press them down, but was having to be careful of being hit on the counter attack, but funnily enough it was us who struck on the counter from a Morecombe corner, we quickly turned into a Plymouth attack we're we levelled the scores with just minutes remaining. A very hard fought draw, which I was satisfied with heading into the cup games.

As you can see, it's an extremely tight league with only just two points seperating 1st to 7th. We're currently sitting 3rd in the table only a point behind current league leaders Rotherham with them to play next after the cup ties. A game which could put us top of the table. It's been a great start to the season so far - but there's a long way to go, it's all about being there at the end of the season.

Last edited: