My main gripe of the football manager series

LiamOT

Reaction score
Is the finishing.

I find it EXTREMELY unrealistic.

From players missing the most easiest of chances (regularly), to players shooting the ball more closer to the corner flag.

Players most of the time shoot directly at the keeper, what's that all about? I thought that this would change in the next FM but it's still the same.

Another thing I've seen in FM13 (which is new) is the amount of Near Post goals scored. There's simply far too many. In real life near post goals are usually the hardest to score because the keeper obviously has that post covered. Especially when they're dribbling from stupid acute angles and still find the net.

The only good thing is that long shots aren't as prominent as they were in the last installment.

I hope in FM14 the shooting is more realistic, otherwise it'll be the first FM I haven't bought in years.

Paul Hayes can get the ball on the edge of the box with his back towards goal, he gets away and turns then shoots straight at the keeper nearly all the time. If he just shot a little to the left/right, it's a goal. It's Finishing is 14 and Composure is 13, so he's a decent striker.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm Brentford, so I can't exactly go out and splash on a good striker. In my first season I got promoted from League 1, but in the Championship I'm currently around 8th. That sounds good, but to me what I'm seeing on the pitch is a joke.

My second problem with this game is throws-in in your own half next to your corner flag ALWAYS goes directly to the opposition which leads to them storming into the box and sometimes scoring a goal.

My third and last problem (and this might be a problem with myself) is with the 442 formation. I don't play 442, but most teams I come against play it. I really don't understand how this formation can dominate the midfield like it does. I usually play with 5 in midfield. If anyone can help me out with this one, help would be greatly appreciated.

Also players are still unwilling to turn around with the ball, especially centre backs. Sometimes all they have to do is turn 180 degrees, and pass to the better option. BUT no. They would just rather pass to someone under pressure.

Rant over, needed to vent some frustration.

Last edited: