My Manchester United don't seem to create chances

dannyboy50

Reaction score
I need help with my Manchester United save. I seem to be having problems creating chances. (Quite similar to real life!).
We’re predicted to finish third but lie 13th​ after five games.
I started off the season quite well, drawing with Liverpool and winning away at Arsenal, but my results have tailed off since then.
In my last league game against Swansea, we had 60 per cent possession and more shots but Swansea scored through their one and only chance.
I know this can happen in football, but I have noticed that we often end up with one or two shots in the whole game.
Another goal we conceded against West Ham, I saw Ogbonna lose his marker (Schweinsteiger) and was free in the box to score.
When looking at the post match analysis, all I could see was that Schweinsteiger seems to miss interceptions and lose the ball in the midfield quite often. Surely it’s not just a case of dropping him??
I play a 4-2-3-1 wide with control mentality with a flexible shape.
GK – David De Geo – GK, def
RB – Matteo Darmian – WB, supp
CB – Phil Jones – CB, def
CB – Chris Smalling – CD, def
LB – Luke Shaw – FB, att
CM – Morgan Schneiderlin – Ball Winning Midfielder, supp
CM – Bastian Schweinsteiger – CM, supp
AMR – Juan Mata - Advanced Playmaker, att
AMC – Wayne Rooney - Second Striker, att
AML – Memphis – Inside Forward, supp
ST – Harry Kane (purchased) – Complete Forward – supp

Instructions – Lower Tempo, Close Down More, Retain Possession and Close Down More.
No player instructions
PPMs
Darmian – runs with ball down the right, dives into tackles
Jones – runs with ball through the centre, gets forward whenever possible, dives into tackles
Shaw – Runs with ball down the left, gets forward whenever possible, avoids using weaker foot
Schweinsteiger – comes deep to get the ball, dictates tempo, stops play, likes to switch to other flank
Schneiderlin – gets forward whenever possible, does not dive into tackles, tries long range passes, likes to switch
Mata – gets into opposition area, tries killer ball more often, comes deep to get the ball, cuts inside from right wing
Rooney – argues with officials, comes deep to get the ball, likes to lob keeper, dives into tackles, likes to switch
Memphis – Shoots from distance, shoots with power, tries long range free kicks, cuts inside from both wings, hits free kicks with power
Kane – shoots from distance, shoots with power

My vision going forward is for Harry Kane to be our chief goal threat, but I also expect Rooney, Mata and Memphis to score goals too.
I imagine Mata would be the main provider of assists although I expect Schweinsteiger to create one or two as well.
I would like to defend a high line, allowing me to press opponents and win the ball back quickly.

How is Kane going to be the main goal threat, seeing that he drops deep?

How do you see Schweinsteiger creating goals?

Your roles/duties are extremely, extremely attacking. It doesn't look like anyone is sitting in midfield to recycle possession at all. It's extremely compressed with everyone getting forward.

You really do need to think about spacing your players out better. Think about movement and space. Who's covering for both fullbacks charging forward? In a 4-2-3-1, both fullbacks usually do, but it usually features a steady, conservative double pivot. Neither of your CMs will really do this.

How is Kane creating space for Rooney? Is he creating space for Rooney, seeing as Rooney will be trying to burst forward eventually with that Attack duty?

What's the purpose of Retain Possession?

Ok, this is helpful.
Firstly I will change Kane to Advanced Forward and Rooney to perhaps an attacking midfielder with a support duty.
Hopefully that will mean Kane would be my principal attacking threat and Rooney would be more of a support.
Secondly, I will move Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin back to DMC's and I think it was a little ambitous of me to think that Schweinsteiger would be getting assists.
I think having DMC's will cover the marauding FB's.
The purpose of retain possession was to make sure we keep the ball but perhaps that isn't required.

Thanks for the help, I will see how this works

Okay, you haven't really answered the questions though.

CMS can cover fullbacks too. Yours just clearly won't as they will be supporting play and hanging around just outside the box.

Retain Possession isn't a magic button (sorry if that's harsh) to give you 65% possession. It reduces through balls/risky passes/passes into space, shortens passing and reduces tempo. You need to know this.

Ok, I understand what you are saying about retain possession, but every role other than deep lying playmaker suggests there is an element of supporting attacks further forward.
The only other option I see is to go into player instructions and tell them not make runs forward (not even sure that's an option).

Ok, I understand what you are saying about retain possession, but every role other than deep lying playmaker suggests there is an element of supporting attacks further forward.
The only other option I see is to go into player instructions and tell them not make runs forward (not even sure that's an option).

There is Run with ball less option, hold position option etc

With my midfield 2 I have one told to sit back, break up attacks with pressure and marking and to play simple passes. His partner can have run with ball more often, make more risky passes etc.

Just try and find a balance :)

It's not the roles? It's the duties. A DLP/S could work too but with such aggressive fullbacks, you need conservative midfielders.

Last edited:
Try going with these player roles instead:
GK – David De Geo – GK, def
RB – Matteo Darmian – WB, supp
CB – Phil Jones – CB, def
CB – Chris Smalling – CD, def
LB – Luke Shaw – FB, att
CM – Morgan Schneiderlin – CM, Def
CM – Bastian Schweinsteiger – Deep lying Playmaker, supp
AMR – Juan Mata - Advanced Playmaker, supp
AMC – Wayne Rooney - Second Striker, att
AML – Memphis – Inside Forward, supp
ST – Harry Kane (purchased) – Deep lying Forward – Attack

This years fm is pretty complicated for tactic so u prob have to dl some tactic so far i always made my own but this year i sucked till i dled

Player instructions

GK – David De Gea – GK, def

RB – Matteo Darmian – FB, supp. Stay out wide, cross more often, shoot less often

CB – Phil Jones – CB, def. Close down more, tackle harder

CB – Chris Smalling – CD, def. Close down more, tackle harder

LB – Luke Shaw – FB, supp. Stay out wide, cross more often, shoot less often

CM – Morgan Schneiderlin – Ball Winning Midfielder, supp. Run with ball less often, hold position, mark tighter, tackle harder, simple passes

CM – Bastian Schweinsteiger / Herrera – CM, supp. More risky passes, run with ball, get forward more

AMC – Juan Mata / Rooney- Advanced Playmaker, supp. Run with ball, more risky passes, roam from position

AMR – Valencia / Januzaj - Winger - supp. Cross more often, run more often

AML – Memphis / Martial - Inside Forward, Att. Cut inside, run with ball often

ST – Harry Kane (purchased) Martial / Rooney – Advanced forward – Att. Shoot more often, move in to channels

Team instructions

Standard or Attack

Normal defensive line

Normal width

Look for overlap

Cross to back post

Close down more

I find crosses are awesome in this game, both fullbacks are always really good in this set up. Also train them in crossing.

Play with that until fluid and you should start seeing more shots / goals

Last edited:
One thing thats often overlooked is how ppm's effect tactics, for example Jones has "gets forward when ever possible" the last thing you want from a CB so I would drop him for Rojo.

Schneidirlen has the same ppm so he would be a poor BWM or defensive type midfielder, play him as a dlp next to Blind set as a bwn def.

Last edited: