My playmaker just isn't performing lately-advive/help needed

Reaction score
hello fellow FM-ers i just wanted to make this thread so you could help me with a problem with my playmaker (kroos) in my FC bayern team. he started very good and then his recent form dropped soo much and he isn't even making assists:S
i put him as adv playmaker support
View attachment 180764View attachment 180765

maybe i need to change his roe/duty or maybe change his PI or the tactic itself? anyway thanks in advance :D

if it were me id try him in the AMC role with Trequesta and forget his defensive responsibilites, this is how i play a totally flair player e..g taarabt, to keep balance id then drop Altintop deeper. Just a thought :)

if it were me id try him in the AMC role with Trequesta and forget his defensive responsibilites, this is how i play a totally flair player e..g taarabt, to keep balance id then drop Altintop deeper. Just a thought :)
then who would be my playmaker? oh and btw i've tried different players in his role and they still disappear in games am going to change the tactic at the end of the season and see what happens

First of all the playmaker doesn't equal assists. Modric is a **** good playmaker but he didn't have many assists this season.
Take a look in his statistics his successful passing percentage. He has 80% in all competitions in your screenshot.
Go to the stats and look for the number of key passes, that's what makes the difference for the playmaker.

Second you should tell him in the pre-game team talk that you have faith in him since his is you playmaker and his last 5 game average should come about.

First of all the playmaker doesn't equal assists. Modric is a **** good playmaker but he didn't have many assists this season.
Take a look in his statistics his successful passing percentage. He has 80% in all competitions in your screenshot.
Go to the stats and look for the number of key passes, that's what makes the difference for the playmaker.

Second you should tell him in the pre-game team talk that you have faith in him since his is you playmaker and his last 5 game average should come about.
yes i know that but his RECENT form worried me and i thought mmaybe i had somethin wrong in his PI or role but thanks anyway

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

by the way, is there a way you could view all the key passes he made ?

I see nothing wrong with him?
Average game rating is above 7 which is what you want, has 8 assists 2 goals from a fairly busy midfield with a single forward.
Unless Klose is smashing in 4-5 goals a game then there is no way he will get assists as often as you seem to want him too.

I'd play him AMC up behind Klose, move Altintop across. Kroos is a fairly decent finisher aswell as being able to find decent passes, if you find you're starting to let goals in at the back drop Altintop back a little.

what role is Bastian playing?

& Change Kroos' mentality to normal, and change his passing to the first of short.

I see nothing wrong with him?
Average game rating is above 7 which is what you want, has 8 assists 2 goals from a fairly busy midfield with a single forward.
Unless Klose is smashing in 4-5 goals a game then there is no way he will get assists as often as you seem to want him too.

I'd play him AMC up behind Klose, move Altintop across. Kroos is a fairly decent finisher aswell as being able to find decent passes, if you find you're starting to let goals in at the back drop Altintop back a little.
i told you that he started good but his RECENT for started dropping

what role is Bastian playing?

& Change Kroos' mentality to normal, and change his passing to the first of short.
i changed the tactic now and put basitian as deep lying playmakerView attachment 180810

i changed the tactic now and put basitian as deep lying playmakerView attachment 180810

Now you have 2 playmakers in the middle that they mostly won't go forward but they will keep doing short passes untill some of the 3 infront comes back and asks for the ball.
That is just great :O
At least the fullbacks are in support and they will help a bit there.

I agree with TJD07.
I would put in the first picture to play kroos with cut indide, short passes and run alot (he will play much better till he gets exhausted) or put a dm behind the cms or kroos in front of the cms.

I used to play somthing a lot like that.
Played the CDM in a slightly changed anchor role (messed around with the passing and closing down mostly), then used the one CM in a much more openly attacking role with little defensive duty and used the other as a slightly attacking box to box.

I prefer using the classic tactics set up as it gives way more control over who does what.

;1228305 said:
Now you have 2 playmakers in the middle that they mostly won't go forward but they will keep doing short passes untill some of the 3 infront comes back and asks for the ball.
That is just great :O
At least the fullbacks are in support and they will help a bit there.

I agree with TJD07.
I would put in the first picture to play kroos with cut indide, short passes and run alot (he will play much better till he gets exhausted) or put a dm behind the cms or kroos in front of the cms.
i would rather put a dm behind the cms anyway are you saying that i keep kroos as a CM and tell him to cut inside and keep schweini the same?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Played the CDM in a slightly changed anchor role (messed around with the passing and closing down mostly), then used the one CM in a much more openly attacking role with little defensive duty and used the other as a slightly attacking box to box.

I prefer using the classic tactics set up as it gives way more control over who does what.
you mean the arrows tactic ? if yes then i used to play with that one before but it doesn't give you as much control as this type for example you can't chose the role and duty for the players and by the way i didn't put schweini as a box to box MF i put him as a deep lying playmaker with direct passes

dude, do you want to set him as deep lying playmaker like xavi or advanced playmaker like ganso? both setups are diff. first of all you have to decide this!

dude, do you want to set him as deep lying playmaker like xavi or advanced playmaker like ganso? both setups are diff. first of all you have to decide this!
he is an advanced playmaker the deep lying playmaker is schweni

he is an advanced playmaker the deep lying playmaker is schweni
first of all i dont use descriptions like advanced playmaker, support role bla bla, you have to use sliders if you want to maximize players performance.
i found using advanced playmaker from centre of the midfield is pretty useless in the game(whatever the conditions and whoever plays). because distance between midfeild and potential scoring arreas are far from each other.
1- advanced playmaker dribbles from centre;it is not easy as it seems. sometimes mc's and dmc's steal the ball easily.
2- advanced playmaker tries killer balls from centre; again its so hard.

this is my setup for my advanced playmaker(amlc position), but he swaps position with fabregas(deep lying playmaker from cmr)

men: lower than team avarage
pass: team(short 2-6 notch, sometimes dirct 11-14)
cf: much(18- 20 notch)
close down: sometimes 20 whole pitch, sometimes own area
tackle: normal,easy
fwr: rarely, rarely i swap to mixed but never often
rwb: mixed, if i turn fwr mixed i turn rwb: often
long shots: rarely always
ttb: often: sometimes when i want to control game mixed
cross ball: mixed (my team lacks of height)
loose zonal mark
hold up ball: yes, it seems holding up the ball gives advantages of killer balls but sometimes it gives time to opp. to close down so it depends on your player type. if you have good dribbler(dribble min 15,pace acc min 14) no hold up ball, if you have avarege or bad dribbler hold up ball often.
free role: yes, free role is so complicated and hard to understand but i will try my best to tell; if players decisions, anticipation is higher than 14 and if you think that his preffered moves is usefull for your side give him free role. but if player has shots from distance(which is completely annoying ppm or some ppm's like that) i recommened you to not give free role to him.
so free role gives your player to break your instructions and make decisions by his own. and he usually performs his ppm's. and player who has high flair is suitable for free role , becuse his unexpected moves and decisions give advantage to your side.

wide play: cuts inside, if he is slow and not good at crossing and avarage off the ball stats, moves into channels if he is good finisher or supports striker and high pace acc and off the ball stats.
cross from: i dont care crossing but mixed or byline. i preffer byline by the way.
cross aim: mixed

this is my setup. but i have to say my players, team, mentality and football style, formation is diff. thats why i try to explain sliders and moves. so best way to maximize your players performance, understand their style, their weakness, best role and tweaks. its best way to find the answer by yourself.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

and dude, i have to say bastians setup is almost wrong for my opinion.

Last edited:
first of all i dont use descriptions like advanced playmaker, support role bla bla, you have to use sliders if you want to maximize players performance.
i found using advanced playmaker from centre of the midfield is pretty useless in the game(whatever the conditions and whoever plays). because distance between midfeild and potential scoring arreas are far from each other.
1- advanced playmaker dribbles from centre;it is not easy as it seems. sometimes mc's and dmc's steal the ball easily.
2- advanced playmaker tries killer balls from centre; again its so hard.

this is my setup for my advanced playmaker(amlc position), but he swaps position with fabregas(deep lying playmaker from cmr)

men: lower than team avarage
pass: team(short 2-6 notch, sometimes dirct 11-14)
cf: much(18- 20 notch)
close down: sometimes 20 whole pitch, sometimes own area
tackle: normal,easy
fwr: rarely, rarely i swap to mixed but never often
rwb: mixed, if i turn fwr mixed i turn rwb: often
long shots: rarely always
ttb: often: sometimes when i want to control game mixed
cross ball: mixed (my team lacks of height)
loose zonal mark
hold up ball: yes, it seems holding up the ball gives advantages of killer balls but sometimes it gives time to opp. to close down so it depends on your player type. if you have good dribbler(dribble min 15,pace acc min 14) no hold up ball, if you have avarege or bad dribbler hold up ball often.
free role: yes, free role is so complicated and hard to understand but i will try my best to tell; if players decisions, anticipation is higher than 14 and if you think that his preffered moves is usefull for your side give him free role. but if player has shots from distance(which is completely annoying ppm or some ppm's like that) i recommened you to not give free role to him.
so free role gives your player to break your instructions and make decisions by his own. and he usually performs his ppm's. and player who has high flair is suitable for free role , becuse his unexpected moves and decisions give advantage to your side.

wide play: cuts inside, if he is slow and not good at crossing and avarage off the ball stats, moves into channels if he is good finisher or supports striker and high pace acc and off the ball stats.
cross from: i dont care crossing but mixed or byline. i preffer byline by the way.
cross aim: mixed

this is my setup. but i have to say my players, team, mentality and football style, formation is diff. thats why i try to explain sliders and moves. so best way to maximize your players performance, understand their style, their weakness, best role and tweaks. its best way to find the answer by yourself.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

and dude, i have to say bastians setup is almost wrong for my opinion.
first, thanks for all this info and advice am sure it will help :D second i want to tell you that i have change my WHOLE tactic and i have been doing amazing recently, last you suggested i play with 'convert to classic' option right? i used to play like that when i started FM but for me i thought it doesn't give you as much freedom as the one am using now but that's just my opinion and here is my new tactic and new roles for bastian and kroos :D
View attachment 181605View attachment 181606View attachment 181607View attachment 181608

first, thanks for all this info and advice am sure it will help :D second i want to tell you that i have change my WHOLE tactic and i have been doing amazing recently, last you suggested i play with 'convert to classic' option right? i used to play like that when i started FM but for me i thought it doesn't give you as much freedom as the one am using now but that's just my opinion and here is my new tactic and new roles for bastian and kroos :D
View attachment 181605View attachment 181606View attachment 181607View attachment 181608

i understand you my friend, using sliders is compliacated and hard to play. and in gameplay you have to change lots of things by your own and it takes really so much time and its annoying sometimes. i finished 1 season maybe more than 1 day. esp in games i always tweak tweak and game lasts 20 min sometimes :)

and--> i am not sure you are doing great dude. your teams goal scoring is not enough for me. can you post 5 matches that you like, i mean which your team dominated whole pitch?

for ex in my arsenal side, my team avarage passing is more than 370 and scores more than 2 per game. and possesion is more than 60 and pass completion is sick which is more than 80 most of the time. and i already finished my first season with league cup,champs league and league.

i mean you are doing well but not enough for 'bayern münchen' and for your squad quality.

i understand you my friend, using sliders is compliacated and hard to play. and in gameplay you have to change lots of things by your own and it takes really so much time and its annoying sometimes. i finished 1 season maybe more than 1 day. esp in games i always tweak tweak and game lasts 20 min sometimes :)

and--> i am not sure you are doing great dude. your teams goal scoring is not enough for me. can you post 5 matches that you like, i mean which your team dominated whole pitch?

for ex in my arsenal side, my team avarage passing is more than 370 and scores more than 2 per game. and possesion is more than 60 and pass completion is sick which is more than 80 most of the time. and i already finished my first season with league cup,champs league and league.

i mean you are doing well but not enough for 'bayern münchen' and for your squad quality.
lol man look at my fixtures i have only lost twice and a couple of draws and the rest are all wins and my possession is 59%+ always !