DavidCfc

Reaction score
i'm doing a homegrown challenge with my team, so signing someone isn't an option.

i'm Celtic and i have conceded 12 goals in my last 8 games (including 4 at home to Zenit), my defence is currently set out like this:

Full Back Automatic - Charlie Mulgrew
Full Back Automatic - Andy Hinkel
Limited Defender (Defend) - Daniel Majstorovic
Limited Defender (Defend) - Glen Loovens

Anchor Man (Defend) - Beram Kayal

Closing Down - Press More
Tackling - Default
Marking - Man Marking

Defensive Line - Push Up
Play Offside - Yes

am i doing something wrong? how do i tighten up my defence?

i'm doing a homegrown challenge with my team, so signing someone isn't an option.

i'm Celtic and i have conceded 12 goals in my last 8 games (including 4 at home to Zenit), my defence is currently set out like this:

Full Back Automatic - Charlie Mulgrew
Full Back Automatic - Andy Hinkel
Limited Defender (Defend) - Daniel Majstorovic
Limited Defender (Defend) - Glen Loovens

Anchor Man (Defend) - Beram Kayal

Closing Down - Press More
Tackling - Default
Marking - Man Marking

Defensive Line - Push Up
Play Offside - Yes

am i doing something wrong? how do i tighten up my defence?

When is this happening ?
Firstly, you need to recognize if it needs tightening up as such or if you simply conceded goal under specific circumstances.
Now, this is just a guess, that you have actually manage to win most of these domestic matches, in most cases actually outscoring the opposition and that the goal conceded have either come in the first 10 minutes or when being 3-0 up, the game ending 3-1 or 4-2 but never 3-2.

Why is this happening ?

If this is the case, then its simply because your team stops putting in the effort and when playing such a high d-line along with an offside trap, you get punished for it when the players let the opposition have too much time on the ball. better here to play more cautious, still hassling the opponent but within a more cautious approach. If You are conceding early goal, its because that the tactic+players+man management cant handle teams playing on the counter against you. If the players are not on their toes, you will get punished instantly.

ZENIT MATCH

As for the match against Zenit, well, any team can concede 5 goals any given Sunday but probably, it was because your team got hit on the counter again and again, the opponent hitting direct ball into channels behind your defenders, often onto a winger that makes a low cross against the center or far post.

should have made it more clear, i only used those settings against Zenit where i conceded 4

in the games before i used a defensive line not as high up the pitch with settings central defender - defend for both of my cb's, no offside trap and standing off more

against Kilmarnock where i drew 1-1 i was down to 10 men since the 47th minute so conceding in that game i can accept
Inverness i won 5-1, goal was a penalty
Werder Bremen, well they're just a better team so i can accept that
Hibs i won 2-1, was down to 10 men for 89 minutes of the game, centre back sent off so again i can accept conceding there
St Johnstone i won 6-1, was 4-0 up when they scored so as you said they probably just turned off

which brings me to my next point, we seem to be giving away quite a few penalties and getting a few sending offs, any idea how to cut down on these?