My Team, My Life, My Passion - A West Ham Story

FM Nutter

Reaction score
As a big Hammers fan I decided I wanted a challenge, so with the new 2009/2010 databse. I decided to have a go at managin my Favorite team.

July 4th 2008. At Work 4:30pm

I started getting ready to go home from work, I sit at my computer desk, regularly swapping windows to SkySportsNews. I like to keep track with events around the globe. There had been alot happening recently and I was suprised with the amount of activity going on this summer. I was disappointed that I hadn't heard alot from my team West Ham United, but with the finacial problems we are having, It was understandable.

Then I hear from SkySportsNews, Zola had left our club. I was totally shocked and wondered why. I know my mate was telling me about the board doing the same thing to what happended when Curbishley was in charge which was apparently going to sell players behind the managers back in January. I began thinking Zola warned them he would walk out if this started but obviously they wouldn't listen to him. Only time would tell now, to who would take the job as manager of West Ham. As a joke, some of my collegues told me to send in my Football Managers CV to them. I had only managed at Non- League level but It was worth a shot.

4th July 2008 - At Home, 7:30pm

I sit on my couch at home still watching Sky Sports News, then I suddenly hear West Ham have started looking at some applicants but would not reveal any names, I began thinking, I could be one of those applicatants.

Last edited:
Good Luck with this it will be a good story i can already tell hope you do well

7th July 2008. At Home. 6:45am.

I began the day making breakfirst. As I sit at the table eating my breakfirst, I get a call. It's West Ham. They tell me that my application has been sucessfull and they want to see me right away. As i put down the phone, I went into total shock. I could actually have the chance of being West Ham manager. A team I have followed all my life, a team i have supported every since i could remember, a team who i have the passion for.

7th July 2008, After meeting the board. 4.15pm.

It has been a long, long day. I met the board, they talked to me and asked me loads of questions, they then took me on a tour of the stadium and told me about their targets. I couldn't believe I was actually here at West Ham "Behind the scenes" It was too unreal. The day ended with a good discussion and a hand shake followed by "You start tomorrow", I couldn't believe it, Im now the West Ham manager. Unreal.

Good luck mate, I like the title :)

Good story :) Follow mine if you want.

8th July 2008 - 9:00am

It's my birthday today and personally, I couldn't have wished for a better birthday present. I walked up to my office and read my name followed by the words "Manager" underneath which brought a smile to my face. I then sat down, and switched the television on and immediately saw reporters outside the ground talking about my job as West Ham manager. It's really wierd but also really exciting that I find myself watching T.V with people wanting to talk to me.

Anyways, I was then greeted by Andrew Bernhardt. We chatted about my contract and my transfer budget for the season. He explained to me about the current financial problems so told me I will have to sell before I buy. My current contract is:

I have been given a deal until Jun 2009 worth £27,500 a week.

I then sat down and begain thinking about the targets for the season. I wanted to be optimistic but also keep reality in mind. I feel if we got off to a good start then I can probably update my targets. I will meet the lads in training and tell them about the targets, for now here they are.

Finish the season in the top half of the table.
Finish the season with a "+" goal difference.
Target points 55.

They are only 3 targets I want to stick to at the moment. Time for my press conference.

12th July 2008 - 2:30pm

The past couple days have seen me linked with Dinamo Kiev midfielder Olexandr Aliev. It also stated that I'm ready to bid £2.8M. However, I know this is not true because I don't have any money until I sell. The press conference went well I think, I answered the questions I could answer and refused on others I didn't want to answer. The press seemed to try and unsettle Matthew Upson by saying will It be hard to keep him. I didn't answer this and tried to keep transfers secret. Steve Clarke compiled a team report which read the weakest position is midfield. I think we have a good midfield, maybe a couple of injuries could be a problem during the season.

I'm not really focused on transfers at this present time, I will play a couple of pre-season games and take a good look at who I feel could leave. Matthew Upson, I will try everything within my power to resist "big money" offers. Likely teams to bid for him will be Arsenal, Aston Villa, Sunderland & Tottenham.

We have a friendly against FC Omniworld in 8 days so a few things could change before then only time will tell. I have confidence within Green, Behrami, Stanislas, Collison & Cole for this season. I feel, If we do finish in the top half, these players would have had a key role.

EDIT: clash with FC Omniworld cancelled as I have a Europa League Qualifying 3rd Round tie with Galatasaray.

Last edited:
West Ham United vs Galatasaray - Pre Match Build Up

Reporter:
"Sam Victory will play his first game as West Ham manager tomorrow against Turkish side Galatasaray. Injuires have been an obsticle for West Ham lately and tomorrow they will be without Valon Behrami(knee), Luis Boa Morte(knee) & Luis Jimenez(Broken Collarbone). Galatasaray will be without new signing Elano as they look to get off to a good start"

Tomorrow is a big day for the boys, Galatasaray are a top quality side so it will be a tough game. I'm disappointed to have had Jimenez break his collarbone in training, he will be a big miss to the squad as he is a quality player. I'm looking for a good display from the boys hopefully get a good result to go into the second leg with an advantage. The boys seem confident of this tie with Galatasaray and have confidence lets hope they show it on the pitch.

EDIT:

Fulham have made an enquiry about Upson. I'm going to reject this proposal.

Last edited:
Europa League Qualifying Rnd 3, 1st Leg
West Ham United 0 - 1 Galatasaray(Akman 65')

We started the match very, very well. In the opening 2 minutes we probably should have gone infront Collison was through on goal on the left hand side but his left footed effort was saved by the keeper. Galatasaray then dominated the first 15 minutes, Green called into action to keep out Topal's long range effort. Diamanti then had a 25 yard free kick saved brilliantly by the goalkeeper then Parker had a header which went wide of the mark. We nearly had the breakthrough we wanted when Stanislas got past his man to put the ball on Cole's head only to find the ball sail over the bar unmarked. Collison then conceded a corner on the stroke of half time which nearly resulted in a goal, Baros volleyed the ball onto the post.​

Second half started with me making a change brining on Toni for Ashton. Galatasary started very well, Turan got past Faubert and put in a dangerous cross which nearly resulted in Gabbidon turning the ball into his own net only to watch the ball sail past the left hand post. Topal then thought he had scored on the 63rd minute when he was clean through only to be denied by a wonderful save from Green. Galatasary then broke the deadlock on 65 minutes when Ayhan Akman slotted the ball past Green from a brilliant ball from Arda Turan. With only 5 minutes to go, substitute, Kieron Dyer raced down the right wing, his cross found Cole but his tame effort saved by the goal keeper. The game was summed up in the 92nd minute when Baros pounced on a mistake from Gabbidon and had his shot rebound of the post and out for a goal kick.​

Last edited:
Unlucky result, by the sound of your match report it seemed a close even game, keep up the good work :)

GGreat stuff love thetitle as a die hard fan ill follow indefinetley mate great stuff i think westham will be my first gameon fm10. Follow mine llease click my sig .:D:D

In Office - 1:30pm
Well my first game as West Ham boss, I felt, went well. We threatend a number of times but were just a bit unlucky on the day. We have a friendly against BV Veendam followed by the second leg against Galatasaray. If we beat BV Veendam, we probably can get a result from Galatasaray.

I'm going to introduce Tomkins, Nouble & Hines to the Friendly, getting some experience will do them alot of good. I'm also going to let some youngsters go out on loan for the season. The youth set up here is tremendous and the future looks bright here. I'm off to get warmed up for the BV Veendam game, lets hope for a result.

BV Veendam vs West Ham United - Pre Match Build Up

Reporter:

Bv Veendam go into this game looking for their first win in this pre-season campaign. Bakker has been in good form lately netting 2 in 3 games for them. The manager is optimistic about his chances.

"We go into this game as the home team, as the home team expectations are high so its important to get off to a good start. We play a good side today, so its going to be tough, however Im confident of getting a good result today"

On the other hand, West Ham look to bounce back today from a defeat against Galatasaray. They showed good team spirit in the last game playing their first game under manager Sam Victory. Sam had this to say

"We played a good side and lost, pure and simple. We had some good chances but didn't take them. The lads showed tremendous spirit and when the played they all wanted the ball. Today we face a team looking for their first win this pre-season, we are also looking for a win so I don't expect anyone to sit back".

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

NOTE: as I've played some games I'll just post the match reports.

Friendly Match
BV Veendam 0 - 5 West Ham United(Diamanti 11', 72', Stanislas 14', Upson 41', Yildirim OG, 43')

I went into this game with one thing in my mind, Win. I told the lads to attack them from the start and boy did we do it, 5 minutes in Cole shoots from distance and i just grazes the crossbar, a couple minutes later Kovac has a go from all 30 yards which the goalkeeper tips over from the resulting corner, Upson heads just wide. BV Veendam almost took the lead on the 9th minute Klass Rozema rattling the post from 25 yards. We finally took the lead on 11minutes when Diamanti pounced on a mistake by the goal keeper to tap the ball in from 10 yards. 3 minutes later it was 2-0, Stanislas volleying the ball into an open goal after a Illunga's cross dips over the keeper. We were playing brilliantly and we nearly went 3-0 up when Stanislas had a free kick just go over the bar. Eventually we ment 3-0 up, Stanislas' teasing corner fell nicely for Upson to head home after 41 minutes. 2 minutes later It was 4 when Cole raced through and had a shot deflected in by Marcel Yildirim. We went into half time 4-0 up and it could of been anything really.​

Cole nearly scored a 5th when Collison found him in the box but his shot went over the bar. Bakker then nearly pulled one back only to find his shot saved by Rob Green. I was feeling good i must admit, we was playing good and really should be 5 or 6 up. Collison nearly scored but his shot was well saved by the goalkeeper. We eventually scored a 5th Substitute Parker ran to the bi-line and pulled the ball back for Diamanti to score his second of the game. The match for BV Veendam was summed up when Bakker missed an open goal from 6 yards, his shot cannoning of the bar and out for a goal kick.​

Europa League Qualifying Rnd 3, 2nd Leg

Galatasaray (Servert,54') (2)1 - 1(1) West Ham United(Faubert, 20')

We went into this game looking for another impressive display and to put the opposition under pressure. It was the opposite, Sabri was causing alot of problems for us on the right hand side and he nearly scored on the 15th minute when he skipped past Draprela and his fierce shot just going wide. They nearly took the lead when Linderoth took a long range shot which the goalkeeper just stood and watched the ball fly past the post. Galatasaray looked the more dangerous, but then on the 20th minute mark, Faubert pounced on a well placed pass from Stanislas to fire home from a tight angle, we had pulled a goal back and the tie was level. When the goal went in, a sigh of relief passed through me because i knew a goal for Galatasaray would swing the game into their hands, but a goal for us would swing the pendulum our way. We could have scored again on the 39th minute when Cole raced through and his shot just going over the bar. We went into half time 1 goal up on the night but level on aggrigate.​

Galatasaray showed why they were in the Champions League, when Sabri played a one-two with Turan and his pass played into Baros but Green did superbly to tip his shot away for a corner. Galatasaray then leveled the match ont the night but took the lead on aggrigate in the 54th minute when Turan played an excellent ball for Servert and his shot placed shot passing Green. They nearly scored a minute later when Baros tried to lob Green but the ball just sailing past the post. We then had a penalty appeal turned down, Parker played the ball into Diamanti and it appeared the dedfender pulled him down but the referee wasn't interested. The game then turned towards Galatasaray and they saw the game out strongly and nearly scored but for a brilliant save from Green.​

Friendly Match

West Ham United(Cole, 40', 68') 2 - 3 Catania(Martinez pen 12', Delvecchio 60', Suarino, 72)

We started this game on the back foot when Delvecchio aimed to beat Green from distance only to find his 7th minute shot graze the post. They then took the lead in the 12th minute when Gabbidon brought down Martinez and his penalty just went in, Green nearly getting a hand to it. He nearly grabbed his second when his shot from the edge of the area deflected of Green and grazed the crossbar. They were completely outplaying us and we needed to turn the game around other wise Catania are going to walk this game. We then equalised through Cole, he outstrengthed the defender and his well placed shot evading the onrushing goal keeper. We went into half time level and on the back foot.​

We started the second half in good style, Collison skipping past 2 defenders and he probably should have passed than shoot, his left footed effort tamley going wide. Catania then took the lead with a wonderful goal, Delvecchio played a one-two and his shot from the edge of the area flying into the top corner. We nearly equalized 2 minutes after when Diamanti's free kick looping just over the bar with the keeper stranded. We then equalised for the second time when Cole pounced on a mistake from Silvestre and shot low past the the helpless keeper. I was feeling confident of getting a good result from this, but then all was wipped away 4 minutes later, Tomkins' weak past fell for Suarino and he raced through past Green and tapped the ball into an open net, that was down to bad defending from the young defender, but he is still young and learning. It then stayed that way till full-time and it was a good match to watch, but i was disappointed with the defending.​

Friendly Match

West Ham United (Stanislas 89') 1 - 0 Racing

I wanted a good display from the boys today, we had to win to boost our confidence for the opening game of the season which wasn't far away. We started in good fashion, when Hines had a shot saved by the goalkeeper in the 4th minute then 3 minutes later Cole's half volley just going over the crossbar. Diamanti nearly got us off the mark but his left footed effort again saved by the goalkeeper. Tchite nearly gave Racing the lead when he pounced on a mistake from Upson but Green stood his ground well to block the powerful shot. That was the only dangerous chance they had in this first half.

The second half almost saw Parker score a beauty but his 25 yard piledriver saved by the keeper. Xisco then showed a piece of magic when he outstrengthed Tomkins and skipped past Upson only to find his shot hit the bar. Diamanti nearly scored with a wonderful curling effort but his shot saved expertly by the goal keeper. Then with the game heading for a stalemate, In the 89th minute Nouble raced through on the right hand side and his cross found Stanislas who's close range volley smashed into the back of the net, to the fans. We should have scored deep into stoppage time but Nouble's effort straight at the goalkeeper.​

Last edited:
i love the way this is written, keep it up.

can't wait to go back to napoli once ive finished celtic

Friendly Match

West Ham United (Cole 38', Hines 76', Dyer 82') 3 - 1 Genoa (Crespo Pen 32')

With the last game of pre-season, It was important we got a good win to boost our confidence for the season ahead. We nearly took the lead with only 58 seconds gone on the clock when Nouble nearly turned in Diamanti's corner. Jankovic then tried his luck from distance only to find his shot zipping past the post. Palacio then nearly gave Genoa the lead on 29 minutes when he was clean through but his shot was well saved by Green. Crespo then scored from a penalty in the 32nd minute as Illuga brough down Palacio in the box. 6 minutes later, we hit Genoa on the counter attack and Cole raced through and scored a wonderful goal past the onrushing goalkeeper to level the scoreline. Half time it was 1-1 and in all fairness Genoi have had some good chances.​

The second half started how we started the first, Diamanti and Cole combining but Cole's shot well saved by the goalkeeper. Gabbidon then gave the ball away and Crespo raced through but his shot went just past the post. We thought we had taken the lead in the 67th minute when Collison played in Cole and in acher's of space, and 6 yards out he slammed the ball onto the post, a real chance gone. All was saved though in the 76th minute as Illunga's free kick found Hines who vollyed the ball over the helpless goal keeper to put us 2-1 up, then Substitute Dyer combined well with Parker and Cole and he skipped past a challenge to fire the ball home. We should have scored deep into stoppage time but Hines' shot was just over the bar.​

Start Of The New Season Arises

With only 1 week until the start of the new season, we are looking good I must admit. I have just finished watching the Community Shield and Chelsea dominated the game beating Premier League champions and favorites Man Utd 3-1. It's got me really buzzing inside. We have a difficult first game against Aston Villa at Villa Park. Aston Villa will want to push for 4th place this season so Its going to be a tough match. However, Carlton Cole looks in very good form for us, and I have a feeling he will be on the scoresheet Saturday. After impressing on trial with us, I have decided to offer Stephen Appiah a contract with us, which he has accepted. I feel his power, speed & strength could help us in midfield this season. I hope to bring in a right back on loan for the season.​

Aston Villa vs West Ham United - Pre-Match Build Up

Reporter:
"Aston Villa will want to get their Premier League campaign off to a winning start when they play West Ham United at home on Saturday. Aston Villa enjoyed a brilliant season last year and hope to go even better by finishing in the top 4. New boy Brede Hangeland is most likely to feature for Aston Villa and expressed his desire to do well for the club
"The season is only just round the corner and I can't be happier than I am. Aston Villa are a brilliant club and I'm happy to be playing for them. My job will be to help the team concede less goals and maybe come up with a few myself."

West Ham United on the other hand have enjoyed a good pre-season and hope to build on that with a win against Aston Villa. Manager Sam Victory has only been at the club for 5 weeks but feels that in the 5 weeks he has been at the club, he has learned alot about managing at the top level.

"I have only been here for 5 weeks, It's tough managing at this level. Even in pre-season It has been hard. However, I have taken a good look at the squad and I feel this is a team capable of winning a trophy this season. Our main priority is to focus on the league but who knows what could happen. We play a Villa side who are brimming with confidence after last year they will want to build on last season and get off to a good start. Its going to be a hard match but Im feeling confident and excited."

The draw for the Carling Cup has already been made, and we have been drawn a home tie against Championship side Crystal Palace. Its not a bad draw, its gonna be tough though.

Match Preview

Aston Villa have confirmed that new signing Brede Hangerland has fractured a cheekbone in training so will be unavailable for the home game against West Ham.

Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: Villa Park, Birmingham
Rules: No player restrictions, 7 subs named, maximum 3 used.
Referee: Steve Bennett
Weather: Wet 22 degrees
Home Team News: Stewart Downing out (Broken foot)
Brede Hangerland out (broken cheekbone)
Stiliyan Petrov out (Dislocated Shoulder)

Away Team News: Luis Jimenez out (Broken Collarbone)
Valon Behrami doubtful (knee)

Last edited:
Should be a tight match, I think you've shown your a tough team to beat in pre-season by the looks of results. Seems both teams have key players missing, maybe more so for Villa with Hangeland and Petrov the most noticeable injured, you might miss Behrami though, anyway, keep up the good work and good luck in your first game :)

if your gna do that for every match you wont get a season done :p