My team suddenly lost the ability to shoot past the keeper

karabas1543

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm doing an LLM game in FM14, currently in the N. Ireland Premiere with a side I promoted from C2.

We've had a good run, played in the Europa League twice now, this season making it to the qualifying round (beat out a Portuguese Premiere League team!).

We've always been a scoring team - 3-5 goals per game has been normal (we let in a good amount too).

This season has been going well (2nd place in the league), until suddenly a 1/3 of the way in the league my guys just stopped being able to score.

Mind you, it's not a tactical problem - we still create a LOT of chances. But the same players who have been scoring for seasons straight (including this one) just keep hitting the keeper. Including my 13 finishing & composure striker who netted something like 20 goals last season, AND my star advanced midfielder who was my top scorer and assister last two seasons.

We get a lot of penalties because my players still make it into the box, but I think we've scored maybe two goals in 10 matches that were not from set pieces.

There's no fatigue. Morale is still good (Good + for all players). Literally nothing changed, except the fact that every single shot ends up hitting the crossbar, the keeper, or going out.

Is this just dumb luck? What's going on?

As an update for those who might have the same problem:

The problem went away on its own. Looks like just luck.

I have a nagging suspicion that the game outcomes change every time you restart the game. My winning/losing streaks last pretty much as long as a single playing session. Once I re-start, things change. Maybe it's just a coincidence...

I've complained about this exact same issue before and got people telling me i must be doing something wrong. It's like the game just blatantly cheats you when you become too good for the opposition. You start missing bucket loads. But i'll give your style of ending the session and reloading the game a go.

Last edited:
That happens to me. Ironically, I realise it usually fixes itself when I got thrashed badly :( Then my strikers suddenly go back to being awesome \o/

I've complained about this exact same issue before and got people telling me i must be doing something wrong.
If it's once, yeah, you're unlucky.

If it's often, you need to improve your management.

That happens to me. Ironically, I realise it usually fixes itself when I got thrashed badly :( Then my strikers suddenly go back to being awesome \o/
That sounds like classic complacency.

That sounds like classic complacency.

It is! So to me, when they start missing buckets, I wait for the eventual thrashing. :p I can't be winning all the time after all.

I know the usual tough love style (most efficient), but I roleplay my manager as a encouraging friend when there's a win or draw or a loss to a team I should lose, and outright contempt when they lose a match they should have won. :D.

Last edited:
It is! So to me, when they start missing buckets, I wait for the eventual thrashing. :p I can't be winning all the time after all.
Depends on whether it's the whole squad or just the striker missing the chances who is complacent. The latter issue can be fixed by simply subbing him for someone else. The first just needs better squad management, although a loss works too. :p

Depends on whether it's the whole squad or just the striker missing the chances who is complacent. The latter issue can be fixed by simply subbing him for someone else. The first just needs better squad management, although a loss works too. :p

I kind of plan my losses (if it is even considered planning) by putting a significantly weakened squad against a top opponent that is NOT in the top 5. Usually they will thrash me, I give a great tongue lashing and strikers suddenly go back to doing well. I usually find the complacency occurring more on my strikers (a personality issue? I don't play with FM genie but I don't think so).

No biggie though. ^^ My strikers are probably just there to bring my wingers and advanced attacking midfielder to scoring positions. That's where the strength of my squad is.

I kind of plan my losses (if it is even considered planning) by putting a significantly weakened squad against a top opponent that is NOT in the top 5. Usually they will thrash me, I give a great tongue lashing and strikers suddenly go back to doing well. I usually find the complacency occurring more on my strikers (a personality issue? I don't play with FM genie but I don't think so).

No biggie though. ^^ My strikers are probably just there to bring my wingers and advanced attacking midfielder to scoring positions. That's where the strength of my squad is.
Certain personalities can become complacent easier. Logically, this should be the less professional type personalities.

Complacency is probably easier to see in your strikers, because of the missed chances, but misplaced passes etc can also be a sign of it.