My thoughts on the 13.2.1 Match Engine

• Thread starter Thread starter TheSimeon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5K
In threads like this i used to write how this subject has been done to death, and how all the theories and points youve raised have been answered/disproven before, i would then go on to disprove them again.

This time i couldn't be bothered, listen to Mike, he still has the enthusiasm to tell you why you're wrong.

So up until now, I've been having a good time debating the new ME with smart folks. This is the first dumb, or possibly just lazy, thing i've seen in this thread.

I'm not sure I can get motivated to properly respond, so I'll just ask a question instead. Which part do you usually disprove first, the part about there being fewer though balls in this ME? The part about flair having less effect on match results? Maybe it's the part about results being less predictable under 13.1 than 13.2?

Because I gotta tell you, nobody in this thread so far has even suggested that any of that is untrue. But, since, armed with a sense of superiority and seemingly no actual data, you seem pretty sure none of it is true, I'm interested to hear all about it.

I've come to understand that many of the moderators or whatever on this site are sick of hearing about how someone lost because the match enginz sukz!! but this isn't meant to be that thread, and I think that someone who could be bothered to read it would cop to that pretty much right away.

Last edited:
Maybe i didnt read it extensively, as yes, theres are far too many moan threads. You DID however title this one ''How SI broke the FM 13.2 ME.... (I think...)'' - so what was i supposed to assume, you were the one in a million who isnt a div? I had the intention to link to one of the many other threads where i have written at length that the match engine is not broken as so many claim, alas, once again i couldn'y be bothered, what with it being NYE and my belly containing a few beers.

You question me about data because i assume you feel yours is somehow relevant? SI do thousands of hours of sink tests every week, i know, one of my friends works there. I also know because hey, i'm a staff member on an FM forum, i kind of need to know what they arre doing. I appreciate you may have taken quite a lot of time to run some tests yourself, however they are next to useless in the grand scheme of things. The fact is you are attacking SI for attempting to fix the game we all love so much. The other fact is i dont feel there to be much of an issue with the Me on the current build, it suits my tactics perfectly, and certainly isn't broken as you claim it to be.

I apologise for my crass tone, and i apologise too for not reading your post, i still haven't. If this isn't 'that' thread then fair enough. But as i see Mike has posted here numerous times, he'll be saying something along the lines of this patch being a work in progress that fixed certain things, but they did not have time to address the issues you have highlighted, i know this because this is the type of thing SI tell us.

Anyway, a whole load of fireworks just exploded somewhere over my garden, time to go check no family members are dead.

Happy New Year.

You question me about data because i assume you feel yours is somehow relevant? SI do thousands of hours of sink tests every week, i know, one of my friends works there. I also know because hey, i'm a staff member on an FM forum, i kind of need to know what they arre doing. I appreciate you may have taken quite a lot of time to run some tests yourself, however they are next to useless in the grand scheme of things. The fact is you are attacking SI for attempting to fix the game we all love so much. The other fact is i dont feel there to be much of an issue with the Me on the current build, it suits my tactics perfectly, and certainly isn't broken as you claim it to be.

One of the things you would have gotten from reading the thread is mike saying almost exactly the same thing about my tests vs. those of SI. you guys are very in sink. But here is the thing, although my tests are admittedly childs play compared to what SI does (you'll find all this in the thread too if you read it) I don't think my tests are useless. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they say exactly what the Si's tests say. Among other things, that there are fewer though balls, that through balls are less powerful than they used to be, that high flair and high creativity players make less impact that they used to, and that results are slightly less random and more predictable.

I'm curious, do you think the tests show something different? I think the main point of contention in the community is not whether those things exist, but whether they represent progress. I am of the opinion that the ME decision making is now too safe and no longer chaotic enough to look like a real football game. Other people seem to prefer that to the very occasional comedy defending that went on in the last patch.

I suppose my first mistake was really the title of the thread. Too sensationalist by half. The truth is I DON'T think the ME is broken, what I'm expressing in the post is that it's too UNbroken. It feels and plays to me as if they fixed many of the silly things that went on in the last build by putting everyone on the pitch in a straight jacket.

But thanks for the good wishes, and happy new year to you too.

Last edited:
Simepn I'm changing the title of your thread. I would reply now, but frankly I'm too drunk.

One of the things you would have gotten from reading the thread is mike saying almost exactly the same thing about my tests vs. those of SI. you guys are very in sink. But here is the thing, although my tests are admittedly childs play compared to what SI does (you'll find all this in the thread too if you read it) I don't think my tests are useless. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they say exactly what the Si's tests say. Among other things, that there are fewer though balls, that through balls are less powerful than they used to be, that high flair and high creativity players make less impact that they used to, and that results are slightly less random and more predictable.

I'm curious, do you think the tests show something different? I think the main point of contention in the community is not whether those things exist, but whether they represent progress. I am of the opinion that the ME decision making is now too safe and no longer chaotic enough to look like a real football game. Other people seem to prefer that to the very occasional comedy defending that went on in the last patch.

I suppose my first mistake was really the title of the thread. Too sensationalist by half. The truth is I DON'T think the ME is broken, what I'm expressing in the post is that it's too UNbroken. It feels and plays to me as if they fixed many of the silly things that went on in the last build by putting everyone on the pitch in a straight jacket.

But thanks for the good wishes, and happy new year to you too.

The beers inside me had a good old time last night. Apologies for any issues caused. Amazed i could type so coherently judging by my slamming headache. Apologies for grouping you in with the countless noobs who normally clog this forum.

In resposne to this point you just made, yes this 'middle' patch often dumbs down the match engine, the one to really make judgement on is always the post January transfer window one.

As GC said, please stick around. :)

Simepn I'm changing the title of your thread. I would reply now, but frankly I'm too drunk.

Aha, see there's the rub. As soon as the title of this thread changed from semi hysterical to thoughtful and reasonable, it's been completely ignored.....

Aha, see there's the rub. As soon as the title of this thread changed from semi hysterical to thoughtful and reasonable, it's been completely ignored.....

Aye-once it goes reasonable it scares away the people who are completely unable to make a rational, reasonable post about this subject.

It could also be that people are still too hungover to respond ;D

Last edited:
On the plus side, tactically, this years edition is better than last years. It's amazing what sorting out the cm's and am's can do. Last year, they rarely had 7 or above ratings and next to no assists/goals, which, given some of us had world class players, was not good enough. In fact, many tried to argue that that was the new way of modern football, that the most important player was often the one involved in the pass before the assist, such as Modric or Iniesta. That of course was nonsens. They tried to reason that a 60/70 goal a season striker was normal, and that 30 assists and 20 goals from each inside forwards was normal, where as a player like Van Der Vaart, Lampard, etc, should only get 5 goals a year. Last years edition restricted most formations to the use of inside forwards, which immediately cut huge chunks out of potential transfer targets. I mean, why bother buying a winger when crossing in the ME was poor? You're going to go for the insidie forward everytime, and so Hulk, Willian, and Neymar, were in just about everyones team. Why buy an expensive am, when they're ineffective? Modric, Pastore, Van Der Vaart, were all re-trained as inside forwards as well, just to fit them in the team.

This ME seems much more balanced compared to last year, though there is still a massive advantage to dribbling through the middle from the wings, I should know, I've got Hazard proving this, and through balls are too few, long shots far too many. I actually didn't buy this game until after the second patch came out, because I was was so, so dissapointed with the game last year. It really was the worse one ever. I'd never felt as restricted as I did in that, both in choice of a winnable formation, which of course, inturn, ultimately meant fewer possible transfer options. In fact, it was the first time ever I decided to just throw the game away after 4/5 months of play. It was awful! Mind you though, it was nice to get some fresh air.

I agree with others, if they can sort out the through ball issue, ball pinging back off the cross bar quicker than it hit it, yellow and red cards appearing along the bottom commentary bar from the previous game in current game, then it is going to be awesome. I'd already say it's the best one yet. The chance to really manage what you have and set tactics accordingly is a lot smarter than ever before. I've also definitely noticed a huge difference in player styles. The way Torres and Doumbia play in DLF support is completely different. It's probably the first time ever that players aren't just picked for their stats based on fit for position. They all give something slightly different in terms of movement etc, this is more likely to make me rotate my squad and think about who best to use.

Back