PLP

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've had a look around the forum and found no subject related to this one, and therefore started my own thread.
I hadn't played FM since the 2008 version and just bought FM 2011 this afternoon! I always had a somewhat weird passion for regens (especially the names the game assigns them), to the point that I barely played with real players with FM 2008. I did a bit of looking around with this version and 2-3 things struck me:

1) The name of the regens seem to be kind of random; I found 2 swiss regens with the respective given names of "Robim" and "Heiri"; the weird thing was that I couldn't find any person in the game with these names, not only in Switzerland, but in the rest of the database as well. How come?

2) For those of you who've be playing for some time, does the quality of some regens atains world-class standard when 25-26, or do they never reach such levels?

3) Again on the subject of names, you may have noticed that in previous versions, names that appeared only once in a national database were never given to regens. Is it still the case?

Thanks a lot for you help!

Not answering your questions, but you may be interested to hear that I searched for Paul Lee, who is my latest top regen, and found the game had given another regen that name too, just a year earlier. And he was from Chile! So while taking all those precautions, namesakes are still found within the "regen world"

Hey there,

I've had a look around the forum and found no subject related to this one, and therefore started my own thread.
I hadn't played FM since the 2008 version and just bought FM 2011 this afternoon! I always had a somewhat weird passion for regens (especially the names the game assigns them), to the point that I barely played with real players with FM 2008. I did a bit of looking around with this version and 2-3 things struck me:

1) The name of the regens seem to be kind of random; I found 2 swiss regens with the respective given names of "Robim" and "Heiri"; the weird thing was that I couldn't find any person in the game with these names, not only in Switzerland, but in the rest of the database as well. How come?

2) For those of you who've be playing for some time, does the quality of some regens atains world-class standard when 25-26, or do they never reach such levels?

3) Again on the subject of names, you may have noticed that in previous versions, names that appeared only once in a national database were never given to regens. Is it still the case?

In fm10 i had a regen for arsenal that was world class sold him for like 50m then bought him back a season later for 35m that was like year 2018 or summat, so yeah it happens

Hey there,

1) The regen names don't have to be names already currently used - the game will have a plethera of names that will be available for various different names - some will be rare and some will appear more often

2) yeah regens atain world class status - obviously when all the real players have retired than you will only have regens left and plenty will be world class

3) I never heard of this but i have never ever come across a regen 'van Nistelrooy' or 'Zidane' so there could be some truth in this but its more likely that the names are possible but just extremely rare

If you like regens so much, when you start a game untick the 'use real players' box

Yeah I've always been a huge fans of regens too, in any sports game...makes it more interesting. Usually they just use the names from players in the game, which is kind of annoying when they use a really uncommon name. Seeing someone named Messi or something like that. From the little I've seen from FM11 it seems to avoid that.

Thx Triv,

I barely play with real players anyways ;)

Back to 1), my question was; if such names do not appear at all (no matter the country or type of person) in the database, where do they come from? I mean, the database provides the game with new regens whose names "descend" from other people in the game (think of Rio Lampard or Frank Ferdinand for example)...

Hey there,

ive had a few regens named the same as current players, hulk being the main one that pops into my head - at one point in my career there were three players all brazilian called hulk, all strikers, and all with amazing stats for poachers.

Thx Triv,

I barely play with real players anyways ;)

Back to 1), my question was; if such names do not appear at all (no matter the country or type of person) in the database, where do they come from? I mean, the database provides the game with new regens whose names "descend" from other people in the game (think of Rio Lampard or Frank Ferdinand for example)...
built into the game there are thousands upon thousands of names available for the regenerated players - these names do not have to be currently used by people in the game - the days of names "descending" are long gone, the game is much more advanced

ive had a few regens named the same as current players, hulk being the main one that pops into my head - at one point in my career there were three players all brazilian called hulk, all strikers, and all with amazing stats for poachers.

That's because if you take a look at the Brazilian players you'll see that many of them get their "football-name" in honor to other players that are famous, they look like or their style of playing recalls those same players. There are plenty Péle's, Romario's, Ronaldo's or Romario's in reality so why not regens?

Hey there,

1) The names database must be huge, so they have names that exist in real life but there's no player named that way. Or SI is just thinking in the evolution of names :p

2) There's a 2030 database somewhere here that, beside a lot of World-Class Regens, got a "Perfect Player", like a Messi v.2

3) Naming in FM evolved a lot so you can have several combinations, but there are players that receive nicknames they use and that maybe dont be part of regen names

Also, does anyone noticed that, in some countries, the "popular names" got really really repeated? In FM10, the national team of Angola was full of "Agostinho's" as first name and "Agosto" as surname.

they also put some names of their real life scouts into FM as we see by our very own Frankie Hobbs who is usually made as one of the worlds worst players when he arrives ingame

they also put some names of their real life scouts into FM as we see by our very own Frankie Hobbs who is usually made as one of the worlds worst players when he arrives ingame
faceinthegame