Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
Wassup people?

So I'm halfway through my first season with Napoli. Playing above expectations, I find myself sitting second, behind Inter. Juventus, Roma and Milan are hot off my tails however, and I want to rack up more wins. However, I started noticing the statistics that came up with the tactic I had prepared at the start of the season. Sure, I was getting wins, but I was shocked by some numbers. Especially our possession.

Sure, we are getting our shots away. But how come my team can't even keep the ball?! It frustrates me so much looking at the 'Last 5 minutes' bar, with the light blue or white always getting defeated and pushed by the other team. It's not only like one match. No, it happens everytime. Here are just some stats:

It's so annoying. I bet, if my team had a lot more possesion we could turn some of these draws to easy wins.

I have attached my current tactic with this thread so that people can try and improve it. Here's a screenie of the formation:

This is the instructions for each player:

GK - Defend

WBR - Automatic (Mentality to Attacking, alot of crossing)
WBL - Automatic (Same as above)
RCB - Limited Defender - Defend
CCB - Defender - Cover
LCB - Limited Defender - Defend

CDM - Defensive Midfielder - Defend
CM - Advanced Playmaker - Support
ACM - Inside Forward - Attack
ACM - Inside Forward - Attack

CF - Deep-Lying Forward - Attack

Please, please help me. Try and not make drastic changes and explain to me what's wrong.

Peace out,
Sid

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some help.. just managed to get a draw against Fiorentina. Milan are level with me!

Staff member
Reaction score
need to know more about the tactic,like team instructions but it looks like you may be losing the midfield battle, maybe push biasi alongside hamsik, and also you could push hamsik to amc and have a second enforcer at mc

Reaction score
need to know more about the tactic,like team instructions but it looks like you may be losing the midfield battle, maybe push biasi alongside hamsik, and also you could push hamsik to amc and have a second enforcer at mc
Alright, I'll crack on with adding the team instructions. And also thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
I used to use a similar ormation but it was always the defence that cost me almost every game. Playing a 3-man line with the one in the middle as a cover isn't as good as playing a sweeper and 2 defenders infront of him, so use Cannavaro as your sweeper.

Also having a sweeper means that you'll have to play your defence deep. If defenders push up, there's too many space on the sides of the sweeper for fast opposition players to find space in. Playing deep would also be good for counter attacks, which Napoli are capable of with the amount of pace the team holds, especially Lavezzi.

With your defensive midfield position, use him as an anchor man. This way he doesn't push up too much and leave a gap between the defence and the midfield. The rest of the positions are fine otherweise.

If you need more help, you can read my guide, where I have a detailed section on their tactic :)

Reaction score
I used to use a similar ormation but it was always the defence that cost me almost every game. Playing a 3-man line with the one in the middle as a cover isn't as good as playing a sweeper and 2 defenders infront of him, so use Cannavaro as your sweeper.

Also having a sweeper means that you'll have to play your defence deep. If defenders push up, there's too many space on the sides of the sweeper for fast opposition players to find space in. Playing deep would also be good for counter attacks, which Napoli are capable of with the amount of pace the team holds, especially Lavezzi.

With your defensive midfield position, use him as an anchor man. This way he doesn't push up too much and leave a gap between the defence and the midfield. The rest of the positions are fine otherweise.

If you need more help, you can read my guide, where I have a detailed section on their tactic :)
Thanks for the awesome advice mate, I was going to add Cannavaro as a sweeper but thought since I don't have any other sweepers I didn't bother. Blasi used to be my Anchor Man, but changed it to Defensive Midfielder. I do play counter-attacking football, that's when I get most of my goals :D

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome advice mate, I was going to add Cannavaro as a sweeper but thought since I don't have any other sweepers I didn't bother. Blasi used to be my Anchor Man, but changed it to Defensive Midfielder. I do play counter-attacking football, that's when I get most of my goals :D
lol if you are playing counter attacking football, then you should expect possession to be low

Reaction score
lol if you are playing counter attacking football, then you should expect possession to be low
Yes that is actually true. Just remember one thing though - Possessions does not mean goals. There are many examples of where a team has won even though they hardly had any possession of the ball, so if you're worried about possession then don't, because as long as the opposition cannot do anything with the ball then they are fudged :)

Reaction score
Yes that is actually true. Just remember one thing though - Possessions does not mean goals. There are many examples of where a team has won even though they hardly had any possession of the ball, so if you're worried about possession then don't, because as long as the opposition cannot do anything with the ball then they are fudged :)
But.. I get most of my goals through.. :'(
My opponents are limited to long shots most of the time though, so that's good.