Olly_11

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get a midfield diamond to work. At the moment my set up is Fluid, Attacking and...
GK/D
WB/S - CD/D - CD/D - WB/S
RGA/S
BBM/S - BBM/S
AP/A
TM/A - CF/S​

Currently, it's success has been varied. Some games everything clicks, other games it doesn't at all. Instructions are set to retain possession, shorter passing, work ball into box, pass into space, drill crosses, exploit the middle, look for overlap, drop deeper.

Ideally, I'd like the midfield to play like Mourinho's Chelsea did with Makelele/Lampard/Essien, with the wing backs offering the width without totally exposing the defence. Also, the TM aspect seems to work well but having trouble with the partner - neither P or CF/S have reaped many rewards...

Could any of you help me in trying to build a successful diamond? Thanks!

Set your WB's on attack duty, in DM position put ANCHORMAN, DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER or HB, someone who will sit in the hole and can cover your 4 back players.
I also play with that formation, my CM's are: on the left side BBM and on the right side is DLP with SUPPORT duty, in front of them I have also AP-ATTACK duty, and in front of him on the left side is AF, and on the right is DLF-SUPPORT. Attacking mentality and Balanced philosophy.
That's it :)

Set your WB's on attack duty, in DM position put ANCHORMAN, DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER or HB, someone who will sit in the hole and can cover your 4 back players.
I also play with that formation, my CM's are: on the left side BBM and on the right side is DLP with SUPPORT duty, in front of them I have also AP-ATTACK duty, and in front of him on the left side is AF, and on the right is DLF-SUPPORT. Attacking mentality and Balanced philosophy.

Thank you! I will try this now :)

Put the Advanced Forward_Attack on whichever side corresponds to his stronger foot; he will be far more effective when running into the channels and having to shoot across goal.

I play the same diamond formation and mine absolutley smashes it!!!

Won league 1 and championship back to back without spending a penny.

Works in higher divisions aswell.

GK.

CWB(a) CB(d) CB(d) CWB(a)

A(d)

BBM(s) DLP(s)

AP(a)

AF(a) T(a)

Play a short passing game possession football. CWB get loads of goals and assist so need good crossing and dribbling skills. The anchor is vital to the team. Trequrista gets lots of assist and scores about 15 per season, AF scores for fun.

Enjoy.

I play the same diamond formation and mine absolutley smashes it!!!

Won league 1 and championship back to back without spending a penny.

Works in higher divisions aswell.

GK.

CWB(a) CB(d) CB(d) CWB(a)

A(d)

BBM(s) DLP(s)

AP(a)

AF(a) T(a)

Play a short passing game possession football. CWB get loads of goals and assist so need good crossing and dribbling skills. The anchor is vital to the team. Trequrista gets lots of assist and scores about 15 per season, AF scores for fun.

Enjoy.

What instructions do you have?

Retain Possesion
Shorter Passing
Play out of Defence
Work ball into the box
Drill Crosses
Look for the overlap ( i know i have no wingers but its there anyway)
Push up higher
Use tighter marking
Lower tempo
Be more expressive
Run at defense.

Player instructions:

Everyone has pass shorter.

Sorry no link as I am at work.

I have a 442 narrow diamond in the share/download tactics forum:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...1-2-4-4-2-narrow-diamond-counter-control.html

There might be something there which helps. I discuss all the in-game adjustments I make, how to build the team, everything you need to know.

A couple strange things about how I play:

We press the opponent everywhere. If you want to see opposition defenders pass backward gifting you corners, this tactic is for you. However, we pick up cards. Especially early upon adopting the tactics, cards and giving away penalties will happen. Over time, players adopt to the system.

Also, the corner set-up is unusual. Attacking corners are set up to prevent gifting the ball to the opposition. You'll generate a chance, maybe a good one, every time. It just may not count in the stats as directly "from a corner".