Natural v's accomplished (Really confused)

stuinbucks

Reaction score
Ok I have noticed something...

I can see that teams in my division (National League North) are playing their matches with players natural in all positions even if condition is in the 80's, though they do have players with better condition and accomplished.

Might be a silly question but is it important to play players in natural only even if you have accomplished players with better condition?

Nah not really, probably just playing their strongest side even if they aren't as fit

The reason I ask is because Harrogate Town are currently top of the division 24 games in and are doing what I said above, just thought I was missing a trick as I often have players who are not natural playing due to condition.

I made a small experiment in FM14 playing people out of position and my conclusion was it's not very important. Ratings will drop more than actual performance. Not however it was short and not too much in depth so the result can't be considered conclusive.

If you play a player out of position, his attributes (passing, technique, off the ball...) are still relevant.

Imagine you have a striker, ONLY natural at ST, right foot, with good off the ball, passing, crossing, stamina, pace, workrate, etc... You play him as a right wing back, completely out of position (red circle), ALL his attributes will still be effective and useful while playing. BUT, here is the catch, his DECISION attributes will be affected. The probability for him to make the right decision at a special moment in game (keep the ball, pass backward, pass forward, cross, run with the ball...) is what will affect him.

Let's say he has a decision attribute of 16. I don't know in english, so I'll use the position color:

- flashy green (natural): 100% x 16 = probability to make the right decision
- dark green (accomplished): 80% x 16
- yellow: 60% x 16
- orange: 40% x 16
- red: 20% x 16

The numbers I used are not the right ones for the algorithm, but I used them for you to get the idea.

So the ST playing on the right wingback (red circle) will have a decision diminished (20% x 16) compare to a NATURAL wingback (flashy green) who will keep his decision (let's say 13) at its full potential (100% x 13).

Have you never used players out of position when in crisis time (injuries...) and still get good rating or even MOM? I sometimes prefer to use a well rounded player out of position (as long as his attributes for the role, and his natural foot are relevant to the "temporary" job) than taking a 16 year old kid unfinished and not ready for 1st team.

Might be a silly question but is it important to play players in natural only even if you have accomplished players with better condition?

So, to answer to THIS question, in case you've 2 players of similar quality for the same role, I'd say it's preferable to play an accomplished one with 90+% condition, than a natural one with 80% condition. Condition plays an important factor DURING the match, and you don't want to risk injuries either.

Last edited:
Ok all good info there Medmax

I will continue with my save and keep an eye on Harrogate, maybe with them playing naturals every game will see them tire and finish poorly to a season.

Well I just remembered I sent this to a mate off my phone last year (FM16)

View attachment 111448

Note my defensive midfielder, I didn't even notice until half time, left him on. He finished the game joint top performer haha