Need a bit of help from more experienced managers

Slayzer

Reaction score
Introduction

Hi guys, I'm currently managing OFK Beograd(tier 2 Serbian Superleague team). I've done very well in first two seasons finishing 1st and 2nd respectively. First season started quite poorly but that was to be expected as we had quite few newcomers, managed to win the title due to impressive performances in second half of the season. Second season team played very well even though we didn't manage to retain the title.

The issue

However after beating Milan in Europa league quals in season 3 my team started playing quite poorly, mostly strikers playing like Chelsea-form Torres, missing incredible chances etc. I've tried adopting different tactics, swapping strikers,changing roles, pretty much everything I could come up with. Still throughout season 3 and 4 we kept missing target, only doing well in league due to low quality of opposing teams.

My goals/Style

Trying to use as many youngsters and win titles with them. Right now I believe we have quite decent team but I fail to find a golden formula/tactics that would suit everyone in my team.

Tactics

In league we play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 controlling most of the games and creating a lot of chances but failing to score, the issue is probably that my midfield isn't contributing enough to attack, doesn't give enough space to strikers. In Champions league/Europa League we play 4-2-3-1 deep with counterattacks and it seems it suits me quite well versus stronger teams.

View attachment 135353View attachment 135352

This is the one that I would like to play every match but it definitely needs some editing.

The save

If you are interested in helping me here is the save file so you can take a look at my players and tactis, I'm currently considering selling few of my midfielders but can't make my mind about them, also I'm not sure which striker to keep for the next season. Believe we could be doing far better with the current squad.

Any help much appreciated.

A couple of potential issues that I see right away:

- "Pass into Space" doesn't work well with "Retain Possession"; "Pass into Space" also requires your opponent to leave space (generally in behind the defense) to pass into, and if you're trying to play proactively and are the stronger team in most of your domestic games, that space won't be there anyway.
- Having both a Trequartista and an Advanced Playmaker could be complicating your build-up, as both of these players are intended to serve as the focal point of your attacking play. My general hunch is that the Advanced Playmaker should usually be the most advanced of your midfielders (so the AMC in a 4-2-3-1, or the most advanced MC in a 4-3-3), so you may consider changing your MC's role, or, since it's his natural role, to switch to a formation where he's the most advanced midfield player (e.g. 4-3-3).
- I don't think a Poacher is a great role for a lone striker in a possession-oriented system. His tendency is going to be to sit on the shoulder of the last defender and try to pounce on through balls, etc. In a more possession-oriented system, you need that STC to be more connected to the midfield so that he doesn't become isolated; mind you, that's easier in a 4-2-3-1 where he has an immediate support behind him than in e.g. a 4-3-3, where he doesn't. Still, if you want him to be the one leading the line in attack, I'd opt instead for an Advanced Forward (and perhaps allow him a bit of extra positional freedom to combine with your other attackers, especially since your Trequartista is a pretty static role in terms of positioning). The AF moves into channels by default, but since you're playing two true wingers (not my preference in a possession-based system, for the record), you need someone who's going to play in the space that they open up by stretching the defense laterally.
- One final thing is that, even though you do have an AMC directly behind your AF, he might still end up isolated, because he doesn't really have anyone who's going to be making runs into the area for him to combine with. The trequartista largely sits in the hole and distributes/links play, while the wingers are going to stay out wide for the most part, leaving him to his own devices a lot; it's hard to create chances, especially in a possession-based system, without at least some combination play.

In some ways, being the "big fish in a small pond" in terms of your league position can be harder than being a middle-of-the-table team. Your opponents are going to try to pack numbers behind the ball and deny you much space to play in, so you need stretches (width and depth) to displace them, but also combination play that will allow you to exploit the gaps you create in the defense and convert them into clear-cut chances and goals. My recommendation would be that you either change the role of your AMC to a more mobile role, or that you incorporate some kind of movement inward from the flanks to provide support to your center forward. Oh, and untick "pass into space"; it's likely not doing you much good in the first place and it conflicts with your other instructions.

Chivustoica makes a number of good points. I would add:

1. Why do you have full backs on auto? Do you know what auto means? It means that they follow the mentality of the team (control= very attacking).
2. Do you know you dont have cover for your cbs? The bwm is a role which roams (ie follows the opposition ball carrier).

Some thoughts:

- fb-au: your mentality is "control" so fb are on support duty, following your mentality (contain/defensive--> defend duty counter, standard and control---> support, attacking and overload--->attack duty). A fb-su with control mentality is quite attacking, so you need a midfielder covering each side when they bomb forward.
- You have no holding midfielder. Bwm runs everywhere to win the ball back leaving huge spaces. Ap doesn't provide cover to midfield. Add this to your attacking fullbacks and all will result on leaving big spaces behind. You are too open at back.
- Treq and AP I agree with ChivuStoica.
- Wingers. They try to run and cross. WHo they are crossing to? To your poacher and? Nobody else. You need numbers inside the box to finish crosses.
- Retain possession decreases risky passes for all team. Pass into space increases risky passes for all the team. One Ti counteracts the other. If you untick both you will see the same. Use short passing instead.
-Wide: if you are trying a possession style you need your players close to each other. Your wingers are providing width and control mentality already has wide width. Do you really need more?
- Higher tempo. Control mentality already has high tempo.
- If you want to play a possession oriented to possession style you need somebody at back to retain and recyle possesion. You have only your cbs and i'm not sure what your bwm is doing. For possession oriented tactics the best shape is structured because creates more space vertically between players so you have more passing options.
- Most important: Control doesn't mean control. Control means quite aggressive. If you want to play a patient style, go to counter mentality which actually means patient. It' easier to hold possession with lower mentalities.
- Tell your gk to distribute to cb. Will help you to build game.
- Change your roles upfront. Try to create some movement. One winger and one inside forward. One fb on attack and the other on support. Change your poacher for a dlp-su who will come deep and help to move the ball. Combinate your dlf with a more aggressive role (SS, for instance).

Last edited:
Thanks for help guys, I've been testing few tactics sine then, team seemed to do much better especially in defense versus stronger teams(won Europe league and got to quarter finals of Champions league next season), however I still think there is space for improvements. Right now it looks like we might need more man forward but I'm afraid to change CM as it would weaken our defense. Also do you think not using "work ball into box" might be a good idea?

View attachment 134362 View attachment 134361

Why do you think you need more men forward?