sek729

Reaction score
I like journeyman saves, usually starting in the semi-pro leagues of Northern Ireland and working my way up.

I have been utilizing a 4-4-2 narrow diamond (4-1-2-1-2 narrow) with Loughgall with the following roles:

DR - FB ( A)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
FB - FB ( A)
DMC - DM (D) <Sometimes support, depending on game flow>
MC - DLP (S) <Sometimes defend, depending on game flow>
MC - CM ( A)
AMC - AM (S) <Sometimes attack, depending on game flow>
ST - DF (S) <I'll use defend if opponent has DMC, if not I'll use support...Sometimes I'll use DLF here, which is better?)
ST- P ( A)

I've had some success with this formation, but occasionally I will run into teams that really expose me on the flank in the midfield. Usually when I run into good wingers.

I got into a promotion playoff with Larne, but got smashed in the second leg at home after winning 2-1 away. :(

Two questions:

1. Is there any roles/duties above that I would be wise to change to improve on this formation?
2. What is a decent alternative tactic that I can counter the wing attacks when they start?

Last edited:
The roles seem balanced so I wouldn't chop and change too much.

When using narrow formations it is a good idea to set opposition instructions on opposing wide players, I find closing them down always effective.

Alternatively, you could set an attacking player to man mark a wide player, but bear in mind where he will be on the pitch should you win the ball back, you don't want him too far away from his position, or do you?.... He may even find space between the opposing wide man and a defensive mid. Food for thought.

Last edited: