Need a little bit of help!

xemagaldon

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

First post here! I'm an old Football Manager 2010 player. Truth is that I've always downloaded tactics from this forum, and loved them, but right now I'm trying, apart from making my own tactics, understanding the meaning of every concept. So, please, if there is yet anybody playing this beautiful game, I'd thank some help regarding the following questions:
  1. Mentality: risks that you "let" your players taking.
  2. Creative freedom: license given to the players to "disobey" team instructions. The flairest the player, the more more Creative Freedom I should give him.
  3. Closing Down: area around the player in which he will move and press the oppossition when the ball is in it.
  4. Tempo: maybe... fluidity of the team game?
  5. Wasting Time: time that the player spends to pass the ball to a teammate.
  6. I assume that Player Instructions override Team Instructions, so... to make a compact tactic in which every player defends and attacks, I think I must leave some Player Instructions unchecked to get it, for example Mentality, Pass Style, Closing Down... so the all the players have the same notch in the bars. I love Classic Tactics, by the way.
  7. I can't make my fullbacks do their job properly... I tend to concede a lot of goals from crosses to far post. It doesn't matter the Heading ability of the opposition winger or fullback (I decided to retrain centrebacks to fullbacks because os this issue). High percentage of goals in that case anyway. However, I am not able to reply the same way.
  8. Right now I'm watching full games, but I think I don't have the ability to see how the opposition is playing, and how to counter it (Mentality, Tempo, Time Wasting, Width, Defensive Line,...). Every match seems the same.
  9. Any tips you have regarding any other questions are welcome!
I appreciate your help guys!

Thank you!

Xema.

Last edited:
Hi Mate!

I am glad to see that there are others still playing with this old version, because I am an FM 2010 player too! :)
As you said, you have been playing with that for so many years, and downloaded several tactics, you must have some experience...;-).
(Of course I have some experience as well, but I 'm not an expert at all..., so I answere your post not because I can say clever advise... but at least we can just talk about the game)

In your post you have answered most of your questions:
1-5.: your answeres are correct (more or less...),

6. maybe due to my poor english I'm not sure I understand you clearly... but if you have the same notch for every player, your team will work as a unit (very very very fluid philosophy)... and it works only for top teams. I suggest you to take a look at the tactics you have downloaded, and check it...;-) If you want to make your own tactic, I suggest, use the "new" tactic wizard (and the player's role and duty), and not the classic tactic view. (It is more realistic). With lower teams use rigid or balanced philosophy, with top teams use fluid. If you still insist on using classic tactics view, I still suggest you to have a look at the tactic wizard-made tactics, and the players setting, than try to create something based on those.

7. It is interesting, I have not noticed this problem in my games... I set the full backs to supporting or attacking role. Maybe the wingers that makes crosses are not closed down properly...? (FM 2010 match engine is famous for useless crosses). Using CB-s with 15+ jumping also may help.

8. " I'm watching full games, but I think I don't have the ability to see how the opposition is playing, and how to counter it "
oh... the same as me... I admire everybody who has that ability...:)

+ tips: in FM forums you can find many useful posts, guides and tutorials.
in fmbase:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010-tactics/33590-maxs-tactical-guide.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010-tactics/43728-maxs-4-4-2-hodgson-tactics.html

in sigames forum SFraser's excellent threads (use google to search for "The SFraser Memorial Thread")
in fmscout : "football manager pairs & combinations (it is for FM 2015, but useful for 2010 too)

When made my own tactics, I found that playing with narrow width and slow tempo is useful, especially for mediocre and lower teams. If you have no full backs in your formation (ie. 3-5-2), I have found useful to play with very narrow width. If you have no wingers in your formation (ie. 4-1-3-2 narrow), it's useful to set philosophy to fluid. If you set the philosophy fluid, it's best to go standard mentality, and to avoid attacking mentality.

I hope it helps a bit.
Best wishes!

PS.
Currently I'm working on a new version of database for FM2010. In fact it is not a new database, I use the original one (10.3), but correct PA-s that - after so many years - turned out to be irrealistic (for some players it was too high,for some it was too low), and put many new players in (Salah, Mané, Kane, Bernardeschi, Verratti, Dybala, Lingard, Casemiro, and many many more). So if you reach the years 2017-18 in the game, it's still realistic, the top players in the game are the top players in real life too (apart from the talented "newgens" obviously). I also corrected attributes in some cases. The correction is based on the current FM database.
I have not finished with the work yet, but this "beta version" is still quite enjoyable. If you are intrested, I can send it to you, or maybe upload it to this forum. You can test it, if you want, (and maybe give some feedback...)