need advice to improve defending against big four!!!

BlueLion

Reaction score
i m playing Liverpool ...after12 games i am 2nd in the league, 1point behind leaders chelsea.next match against man utd at old trafford.I think is very important to obtain at least draw.I play 4-5-1 : reina-johnson-carragher-agger-dossena-mascherano-gerrard-aquilani-kuyt-salomon kalou-f.torres. my tactic is rigid,passing shorter, closing down on default, creative freedom is reduced, tackling on default.i play torres as a complete forward but after 15 games he bagged only 7 goals.Gerrard on the other hand provides most of the scoring.my wingers can t cross well , can t score , they just win some corners.the defence is ok , but i have the feeling that it has to do with reina being a top gk.I play zonal marking, carragher set as a stopper and using agger as cover.need tips to improve defence even further but i would not mind some advice on scoring more from my forward players.I ve set kalou as an inside forward but he is dissapointing.I must add i play mascherano as an anchor man and the full backs are set with defensive mentality but still i find them up there with the wingers leaving too much space

Play mids as defenseive or supportive

both aquilani and gerrard are set on support, mascherano is set as anchor man so naturally he is on defend...aquialani is set as central midfield support and gerrard as a box to box midfielder.You say i should set the wingers for support too?

i play as liver i let the full backs be automatic, center backs as their default , mascherano and other midfielder(in my case moutinho) one as box to box midfielder other is ball winning midfielder , 2 wingers with attacking mentanilty ( di maria and kuyt) torres as complete forward and if i am not scoring much i put kuyt as striker with torres or get in nistelrooy and let gerrard be right wing u need to attack more with me torres scored 14 goals in just 9 epl games besides the goals in champions league and cups ... last game against tottenham away scored an impressive 4 goals so yeah torres is being great..

I normally just change my wingers player instructions abit like tick 'tight marking' and 'marking' which makes them track back to mark the opponents full back which really helps your left back and right back when your opponents wingers in possesion of the ball they basically just double up on him unless its a 2v2 situation increases your chances for not conceding but it does cost you heavily as it really redices your attacking fire power so you might want to consider it before you take my advice.

Play a Rigid kind of game, Playing safe and try to keep your teams formation and shape so when you lose possesion you would have mostly all your players in the correct position instead of being out numbered when all your players are 'out of position. But again it comes with a price will be dangerous as the scoreline will most likely be a 0-0 as your team wont commit players foward to score and the opposite team could do a 'miracle' and score a 30 yarder or score from a set piece just cross your fingers and hope your team nicks a goal from set piece before they do.

there are loads of ways if you think about it. Simples

I wouldnt recommend that you use my advice tho its here just for a second opinion.

Last edited:
i play as liver i let the full backs be automatic, center backs as their default , mascherano and other midfielder(in my case moutinho) one as box to box midfielder other is ball winning midfielder , 2 wingers with attacking mentanilty ( di maria and kuyt) torres as complete forward and if i am not scoring much i put kuyt as striker with torres or get in nistelrooy and let gerrard be right wing u need to attack more with me torres scored 14 goals in just 9 epl games besides the goals in champions league and cups ... last game against tottenham away scored an impressive 4 goals so yeah torres is being great..

thanx for advice...i ve also got v.nistelrooy:D he is injured right now...in the first games i played 442 diamond ,with fullbacks on automatic but i was not happy with the tactic...i like to use 4-5-1....gerrard is playing well as a supportive box to box mifielder. i think only if i should let mascherano play as anchor man or should be a little more involved in support duty...maybe as a ball winning midfielder set on support...i know torres is great...i just need to feed him the right balls:D

yeah i have mascherano as ball winning with support duties and moutinho as box to box which gives chance for gerrard to be amc or amr when i have 2 strikers and gerrard been awesome (9 league games in i have torres 14 goals , gerrard 7 goals):D

I normally just change my wingers player instructions abit like tick 'tight marking' and 'marking' which makes them track back to mark the opponents full back which really helps your left back and right back when your opponents wingers in possesion of the ball they basically just double up on him unless its a 2v2 situation increases your chances for not conceding but it does cost you heavily as it really redices your attacking fire power so you might want to consider it before you take my advice.

Play a Rigid kind of game, Playing safe and try to keep your teams formation and shape so when you lose possesion you would have mostly all your players in the correct position instead of being out numbered when all your players are 'out of position. But again it comes with price will be dangerous as the scoreline will most likely be a 0-0 and the opposite team could do a 'miracle' and score a 30 yarder or score from a set piece just cross your fingers and hope your team nicks a goal from set piece before they do.

there are loads of ways if you think about it. Simples

I wouldnt recommend that you use my advice tho its here just for a second opinion.

i like a fluid game but i now i am interested in winning most matches....so i am trying at the moment to get the most of a rigid , keeping it composed....speaking of getting the most of half a chance...any advice on increasing my set pieces scoring?

i like a fluid game but i now i am interested in winning most matches....so i am trying at the moment to get the most of a rigid , keeping it composed....speaking of getting the most of half a chance...any advice on increasing my set pieces scoring?

Erm, Having a quality corner taker would fit nicely make sure its a in-swinging corner aswell and get the ball whipped into the 6 yard box. Should set your two center backs to challenge keeper thats what i do used to socre loads in fm 09 but doesnt work as good but still works.

It would increase you chances if your two center backs have high stats for heading, jumping, anticipation, bravery and being very tall aswell just the usual stuff.

Last edited:
yeah i have mascherano as ball winning with support duties and moutinho as box to box which gives chance for gerrard to be amc or amr when i have 2 strikers and gerrard been awesome (9 league games in i have torres 14 goals , gerrard 7 goals):D

so in my 4-5-1 should i play with plessis as a dmc, mascherano ball winning mid on support, aquilani box to box and try gerrard as an winger ...or...even inside forward???

well i dont play a dmc i play two central midfielders and one amc (gerrard ) and put kuyt on the wing and well if the wings are closed they just pass to gerrard.. i wud recommend u get di maria or jovetic because they rock on the left wing...

i ve already spend my feeble budget on getting v.nistelrooy ,s.kalou,g.milito...no mony for jovetic or di maria...and i really want to play with dmc...i feel it suits better my approach to the game

then i guess u can get mascherano as dmc with aquilani and gerrard infront of him and well who have u sold and kept maybe u can seel someone and get di maria he isnt expensive plus check out the expiring players every now and then enke contract runs out at end of season so u can approach him in jan i think he wud be a great back up for riena...

then i guess u can get mascherano as dmc with aquilani and gerrard infront of him and well who have u sold and kept maybe u can seel someone and get di maria he isnt expensive plus check out the expiring players every now and then enke contract runs out at end of season so u can approach him in jan i think he wud be a great back up for riena...

options for wingers: s.kalou, martin jorgensen(loan) , martin petrov(loan), kuyt,benayoun,...i intend on signing a new left winger...when the transfer windows opens in january...now is november...i ll try to manage with what i have......ENKE....kind of spooky signing him don t you think???

well till there is a patch where he isnt there u shud sign him or just stick to that calvari dude as a back up he is pretty decent.. and well for right wing i would go with kuyt and if he is injured then benayoun as for left kalou would do well but set him as winger not inside forward u need someone to help whatever left back you got .. i bought ansaldi (check spelling) from rubin he is a really good signing play both full backs and pit insua immedietly on the bench..

try use the tactic in my sig dude, i had a similar problem, play van on the right (take off long shots) and play torres left hand slot! it is for FM09, but im sure it will work in FM10, it took me a very long time formulating it and you can tweak it around how you feel is good.

play Gerrard in the right hand slot and your defensive CM in the left hand slot wiht the backwards arrow!

well till there is a patch where he isnt there u shud sign him or just stick to that calvari dude as a back up he is pretty decent.. and well for right wing i would go with kuyt and if he is injured then benayoun as for left kalou would do well but set him as winger not inside forward u need someone to help whatever left back you got .. i bought ansaldi (check spelling) from rubin he is a really good signing play both full backs and pit insua immedietly on the bench..

my left backs are dossena and insua...as gk i have cavaleri and silviu lung jr. as back ups

i sold dossena and aurlio left with insua and that ansaldi guy and he is very helpful when one of my full backs are injured he can play either side plus agger can be trained as left back....
i just wanna know who you sold and kept in midfield.. i sold lucas and got in moutinho perfect move in my opnion:D

i sold dossena and aurlio left with insua and that ansaldi guy and he is very helpful when one of my full backs are injured he can play either side plus agger can be trained as left back....
i just wanna know who you sold and kept in midfield.. i sold lucas and got in moutinho perfect move in my opnion:D

I SOLD : babel,lucas(poor move...rejected 16 million at one moment and eventually sold him for only 11,5 mil(euro) ....kept:mascherano, gerrard,plessis,kuyt,benayoun,aquilani,riera(i forgot about him-he comes into contention for the left winger place along with kalou)-,maybe i should sell riera to raise money for di maria...

exactly i sold benayoun and will sell riera as i got di maria and babel for left and kuyt and gerrard for right and will sell kuyt next season to get a good replacement and waiting for aquilani to get back fit as he is recovering from injury probably gonna push kuyt off for gerrard on the right with aquilani as amc with mascherano and moutinho behind him with di maria on left.. then i am gonna buy some defenders as my attack and midfield are perfect maybe will sign riqulme tho next season he wud be free by jan too i think and btw riena makes it to team of the week like every week..