Need help improving/refining my tactic - expert advice needed!!

alexjp123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently in my 2nd season with Everton. The teams doing well, and I'm really chuffed that a tactic I made from scratch is working because I've always downloaded ready made ones. As i said, it is working well but it needs refinement and I simply don't know enough about the inner workings of the game to do it myself.

It's a basically a 4-3-3/4-5-1 however you look at it. The back four is fairly standard, with the full backs supporting the attacks. My midfield 3 comprises of an Anchorman, Deeplying playmaker, and advanced playmaker. Then two fairly standard wingers, and a target man.

I want to keep the general tactic the same, as I see so many "Barca" style tactics with short passing and possession. As i said, it works well, but I always lack CCCs, and every now and then I'll struggle to get any good chances on goal, defence is pretty solid, it's just the attack that feels it's lacking something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some screens:

View attachment 207486View attachment 207487View attachment 207488View attachment 207489View attachment 207490View attachment 207491View attachment 207492View attachment 207493View attachment 207494

Try out a very fluid philosophy. Makes the tactic look more efficient when everybody gets involved in all activities. And turn Jack Rodwell's position (CMR) into a Central midfielder with a support role so it gives you a proper Destroyer-Supporter-Creator axis. Works amazingly for me at almost any club.

I don't know much about Daniel Osvaldo but if TM suits him, let it be. Personally, I prefer the complete forward or I make him a false nine (some player instructions are needed for that, i'll expand on it if you want to). Give Tim Cahill much more creative freedom-assuming he's your main attacking outlet connecting the defence and the attack and set his through balls to often.

If Osvaldo is TM, the wingers are fine. But I've noticed in my games that a complete forward, flanked by inside forwards with attack duty give more chances on goal. If you're choosing the wingers method, then I'd suggest the AMR doesn't cut inside. And finally, set all closing down options to "Whole Pitch", including Osvaldo and the attackers. It makes them work hard and induces high pressing.

Hoping it helps! :)

EDIT: Please get Bosingwa out of the first XI and play Coleman instead. Adds more to the attack and is also fairly solid in defence.

I rotate Coleman and Bosingwa most games just cos they both get tired fast for some reason.

I made Rodwell a DLP just to try it out, as he has the stats to develop well for that role, plus I've never seen Cahill as a creative force, I'm trying to use him as a support for the attack, but I can't seem to get him right. Basically for my midfield I'm trying to use my DLP to dictate tempo and start attacks, as well as creating chances, then my AP can act as a support for the striker.

Try using shouts like Work ball into Box & Get ball forward. Seems like U want to make most of ur goals with head as Target man support is Head, so indeed that Cut Inside out of wingers and make em rather Hug the touchline. Tho what ive noticed is that U cant get lots of CCC's with heading lol.

I would advice you first of all to use fluid or very fluid philosophy and more roaming. Then I would give your players more creative freedom and the focus passing mixed.

That done, I would use Jack Rodwell as a MC support and give him freedom, because he is dangereous and can score goals for you and Cahill as AP support. As Schelotto has good finishing and passing, I would use him as inside forward for some games, just to see how he does. I had him once in Newcastle and he was outstanding. And I would change Osvaldo to Poacher.

The workload, believe it or not, for me makes such difference. I would set it to the attacking one.

I think that's what I would do with 4-5-1 in Everton, but I still think the best formation for this team is 4-1-2-1-2 by my own experience.