Need help on a radical new league structure

Iganga

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with a new league structure I'm trying to implement. Basically I want the league to start with four groups, each containing five teams (20 in total). They play each other twice. The top two teams from each group go into the "Premier Division", the bottom two go into the "Second Division", and the 3rd placed teams enter into a playoff (two winners go into Premier, two losers go into Second). The rest of the season is then a standard 10-team league, with the European spots going to the "Premier Division". Each season the structure would reset and begin with the groups / qualification once again.

I'm not sure how to approach this however. I've had a few attempts but I keep getting error messages from the editor.

Attempt 1: No teams registered to "Premier" or "Second", created an individual competition for each group. Each group was allocated five pre-set teams. The "Premier" was then set as the primary division, with the groups as Sub-divisions. I then went into the Sub-Division general and set Promoted Teams to go into "Premier", and the Relegated Teams as "Second". I got an error message telling me that teams cannot be promoted from the "Premier" division as there were no leagues above it.

Attempt 2: No teams registered to "Premier" or "Second", all twenty teams allocated to a league called "Preliminaries". As before, "Premier" was set as the primary division but with "Preliminaries" set as the sub-division. I was able to change the structure of Preliminaries from "League" to "Groups", but got the same error message when trying to set promotions.

Any ideas on how to tackle this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Iganga.

Ps. Just in case anyone asks for a copy of the file I'm actually using FM 2013 at the moment. If I can get this to work then I plan to buy 2014 and replicate it there.

needs to be done in the advanced editor. You'll never be able to make it in the normal editor

Edit: working on a version now

Hi Lami,

Thank you, but I couldn't ask you to put yourself out like that for me. It wouldn't be fair.

I'll have a play around with it and see what happens. I had a thought that if you made the league into the group format, but then had the league split after 8 games, would that work?

If all else fails I can always try to simulate the experience with super-cups and the like.

Have you gotten anywhere with this? I've started creating a similar idea for the Dutch league, but I'm very inexperienced with the editor so I could really use an example or some pointers.

Regards,
Ivo