Need help... Squad has too many players!

louiscfc

Reaction score
Currently at Chelsea, start of 4th season and I simply have too many players trying to break through into the team. But for some reason I feel attached to them that I can't sell them. Here is the squad:

GK: Butland, Courtois, Blackman
RB: Azplicueta, Wallace
CB: Luiz, Varane, Chalobah, Ake, Terry (used for mentoring), Christensen, Bruma, Phil Jones
LB: Shaw, Bertrand, Davies
DM: Reyes, Goretzka, Loftus Cheek
CM: Gundogan, Thiago, Verratti, Oscar, Halinovic, McEachran, Lampard, Ramires
CAM: Paredes, Praet, Mata, Barkley, Hughes, Maher
RAM: Zaha, Bruma, Throgan Hazard
LAM: Hazard, Bale, De Bruyne
ST: Lukaku, Falcao, Fierro, Andrade, Rodrigo

Keep loaning most of the younger ones out but they're not developing enough. Haven't even spent THAT much money either. What would you guys do? Sell? Loan? or just keep it the same?

Last edited:
Sell Blackman, Christensen, Chalobah, Loftus Cheek, Oscar, McEachran, Ramires, Maher, Barkley, Praet, Andrade, Rodrigo.

Then just focus on regens.

I will sell those over 22 that does not match these requiremenst

D, DM, M

Decision 14
Determination 14
Work rate 14

AM, FC

Decision 13
Determination 13

I will sell those over 22 that does not match these requiremenst

D, DM, M

Decision 14
Determination 14

Work rate 14

AM, FC

Decision 13
Determination 13

Thanks for your help, but Eden Hazard doesn't meet these requirements and I can't sell him. But yes, I know what you mean and I have a few players who could do with going. Cheers :)

You have FAR too many players.. I usually go with a template of a first team player in each position obv, then ONE backup for every position, usually limits my squad to no more than 25. Only exception I make is with Center Defenders, I like to have three who can backup my two CB's. I also like to have one player who can play every position in a specific part of the team Midfield, Defence, Attacking Midfield.

Thanks for your help, but Eden Hazard doesn't meet these requirements and I can't sell him. But yes, I know what you mean and I have a few players who could do with going. Cheers :)

Aha, but then dont care too much about the determination of these AM, F players

pick your 2 favourite players for each position so its 22 players.

and sell or loan out the rest

Currently at Chelsea, start of 4th season and I simply have too many players trying to break through into the team. But for some reason I feel attached to them that I can't sell them. Here is the squad:

CB: Luiz, Varane, Chalobah, Ake, Terry (used for mentoring), Christensen, Bruma, Phil Jones
CM: Gundogan, Thiago, Verratti, Oscar, Halinovic, McEachran, Lampard, Ramires

Keep loaning most of the younger ones out but they're not developing enough. Haven't even spent THAT much money either. What would you guys do? Sell? Loan? or just keep it the same?

Id sell the players in bold. But the squad is not that big bearing in mind that u r Chelski and trying to win everything (so everybody shud be getting games).

Also, I never saw the point of more that 2 main GKs

I'm surprised more people haven't picked out the fact that you have 5 strikers! You almost never need 5 strikers!! They are usually the highest paid position so you're wasting a lot of money on players who won't even get match time, and usually the position besides goalkeeper where you play the fewest players in a line up.

If you have a tactic with 1 up front then you only need 3 strikers, I go for two main strikers who do the job 100%, with a youngster to come through as backup who can learn and get the odd game.
If you have 2 up front, then keep 4 strikers in the Alex Ferguson model of always having 4 to play there. 5 is excessive.

Other than that, you have way too many in CM and CAM, and I'd also venture full backs. Best method for full backs I use is one definate natural for both RB and LB, then retrain all young full backs and back ups to play both positions so they can fill in for either side. That way I get away with only having 4 full backs, sometimes 3 if a good offer comes in or someone forces their way out, then rotate effectively to keep the best players fit for the big games.

Ultimately, you need to be far more brutal with who stays and who goes, rather than looking at them all as 'aaaahhh but he's so good!' be more critical, compare the players in each position, decide upon one or two mains for each role, pick up a back up for each...then sell the rest or dump them into your reserves if you really can't bare to ship them off. If possible since so many of that squad are good quality sell them abroad to avoid having to play against them.

CM: Gundogan, Thiago, Verratti, Oscar, Halinovic,McEachran, Lampard, Ramires

I would sell the guys who are in bold, I would only sell Falcao, Mata, and Ramires if their age is ovre 29 however. 5 Strikers is too many, so if you HAVE to keep Falcao, sell Andrade as I believe he has less potential than Fierro and Lukaku.