Need help to cure bad throw-ins and retaliation goals?

Jatjr

Reaction score
Hello guys, :D

I am new to FM generally. Throw-ins are always bad. I think 30-50% (probably not that high) of the time, throw-ins give possession to their team right away. This is bad. I think throw-ins are better when I'm in their half or it is just a streaky coincidence. (I set my throw-ins Long)

Retaliation goals. This is my worse problem. Very often when I score, their team, all the sudden, started to be playing real good. Pressuring my players and they lose ball easily so often they fail to bring ball to offensive zone before losing possession. They try real hard to score on me. When I see this, I can tell they will eventually score and they usually do within 5 minutes after my team scoring. Very odd, I need help.

Please post, If need info..I can try my best to give. :D

Throw-ins: setting them to short usually helps. Take also in account the high amount is noticeable if you set it to any of the non full match highlights, as it seem to like picking bad throw ins by your team as plays to show. If you were to watch full match you'd realize then that most throw ins are taken well and the AI team has as many bad throw ins.

Retaliation: after receiving a goal, specially if it's the one to get ahead, the AI will go more offensive. Pause as soon as the ball enters in goal and think how the opposition may pressure you and where it may become more dangerous. Make the changes to be stronger against that. Drop deeper, play narrower, set playmaker a player who's in an area with less opposition players... Note that against certain teams it may be better to push higher or play out of defense...

Thanks for tips! I will certainly do that. :D

I have some more questions. Which player attribute helps their vision? Sometimes, it seems that players not see the pass coming and/or react too late that they miss the ball? I looked at mental attributes, I think it is the concentration? Does that help players see the plays going?

Unfortunately for me, I am new and I start playing in bottom league of England...things are harder...I am sitting in 18th place. (2 positions away from relegation zone) Is it better to find....players with high technical (relative term) with poor mental or low technical but good mental ? There are few players that are very average under both mental and technical. (by average..6 to 10) Is that actually better?

Edit: I forgot one more thing. Assistant Coach. What staff attribute that helps deal with match training and opposition instruction?

Last edited:
- Vision: I think you mean a pass from a team-mate. For those situations I would say anticipation and off the ball as main, then teamwork may have something to do, too. Concentration would mean for the player to keep up his mental stats working at their level for most of the game.

- I don't know if Spanish Tercera is of a level comparable to the one you are in; from what I've read in other places about LLM I take the idea high mental and low technical are better than low mental and high technical. Not sure where those would stand against the all average. I would place my bet in the average, but I would say don't trust me too much in this last point. Mix them, see who performs better.

- Tactical knowledge, man management and adaptability.

Throwin's set to short, player ready to take throwin is level with the eighteen yard box in the oppositions half (long throws 16 and he is an international player), nearest two players to him are team mates (one to the left and one to the right about 3-5 meters away, just as setup in set-piece maker), he somehow manages to throw long and right between the pair to the tune of 5-6 meters away from either them, the player he has thrown to the feet of is an opposition player who is 15-20 meters way who then punts a long ball forward to a player who is conveniently all alone on the opposite flank (around the half way line) who tears it up field and smashes it in for a goal.

1st of all, how the fk can my player mess up a throw so bad?
2nd, why was their player all alone in a seemingly random area of the pitch?
3rd, why is this game scripted??????