Need help with a tactic employing Target man and Poacher

csa99

Reaction score
Ok, I'm Red Bull Salzburg and I have a starting tactic of 4-5-1 but i was wanting to have a backup tactic using a 4-4-2 using a Target Man with support and a poacher in behind. Also have 2 wingers in the LAM and RAM position.
The target man is very good (Stefan Maierhofer) who has realy good strength, jumping, bravery and heading, all like 18+. He is also 6ft 7 or something.
But what team and player instructions should i use with the formation?
I don't know how to get the best out of the team with this formation.
Could anyone help

Is it à more defensive tactic you need? Its hard to say what strategy you should use as one can play both overload and defensive using these players

Is it à more defensive tactic you need? Its hard to say what strategy you should use as one can play both overload and defensive using these players

No we are like the best team in the league, because the austria league is pretty **** ha, the main tactic was a control one with 2 inside forwards cutting inside and wing backs overlapping.
But this tactic i wanted to focus on the target man and getting balls into the box but i dont know what to do with like any of the team and player instructions

Actually, its probably the worst approach to use when being superior to the opponents. If your players are better than the AI players, you should use that fact and play the ball on the ground, not in the air. With this said, I cant really recommend any settings.

i think you should buy Babacar for a target man

U could try something like this : DCs, MCs, STs all with short passing and FBs, and AMs with direct passing focussing the passing on both flanks with a deep defensive line with big width and high tempo and with low wasting time.That way your all your central players will look to play a safe pass to a winger and the winger(or inside forward in your case) should cross it, go for a throw ball or pass it to the FBs.Also make you CMs run from deep rarely so they sit deep and let the wingers do theyre job. If you want a target man to work u should use wingers.Also u should tick counterattack. Hope it helps ;).

Last edited: