Need help with my Valencia Tactics

yorke1118

Reaction score
Several players are underperforming, can someone pls advice if there's any weakness in my team setting?

Firstly, i play 10.0 patch.
For "team instructions", all my settings are standard except i use a direct passing game (is it not suitable if all my players upfront are short? i hate short passes all the time in the midfield without a killer ball =p)

Here comes my player tactics with their average performance: (4-2-3-1)

Villa (~7.1)
- adv. fw

Mata (~7.1) Silva (6.4 what a mess..) Joaquin (~7.0)
- inside fw support - adv. playmaker att - inside fw sup

(Mata swap with Joaquin)

Kallstorm (7.2) Vidal (6.6)
- box to box - ball winning sup

I didn't post my defence as they preforms quite well =]

No playmaker & target man

And the major problems are:

1. Silva!! He should be 1 of my star player but he never performs... his pass acc. is only 55%
played 11 matches with 0 goals & 4 assists, anything i should adjust for him?
2. Vidal didn't perform well in tackling (only 50% and around 2-3 per game), and really red card prone...
3. Villa is not quite consistent, 3 goals in 1 game but 5.x points in another...
4. is there anyway to adjust if i want a direct passing game but i want to keep most of the passes on the ground?
5. i saw quite a lot of experts here, who have their players rated higher than 7.5 in average. It never happens to my team, my best performed (zapata) who leads my team to win the 1st La Liga season only got ~7.2 per game...

Thanks so much for ur help! Silva is my favorite in reality...

Last edited:
Several players are underperforming, can someone pls advice if there's any weakness in my team setting?

Firstly, for "team instructions", all my settings are standard except i use a direct passing game (is it not suitable if all my players upfront are short? i hate short passes all the time in the midfield without a killer ball =p)

Here comes my player tactics with their average performance: (4-2-3-1)

Villa (~7.1)
- adv. fw

Mata (~7.1) Silva (6.4 what a mess..) Joaquin (~7.0)
- inside fw support - adv. playmaker att - inside fw sup
swap w/ Joaquin swap w/ mata

Kallstorm (7.3) Vidal (6.6)
- box to box - ball winning sup

I didn't post my defence as they preforms quite well =]

And the major problems are:

1. Silva!! He should be 1 of my star player but he never performs... his pass acc. is only 55%
played 11 matches with 0 goals & 4 assists, anything i should adjust for him?
2. Vidal didn't perform well in tackling (only 50% and around 2-3 per game), and really red card prone...
3. Villa is not quite consistent, 3 goals in 1 game but 5.x points in another...
4. is there anyway to adjust if i want a direct passing game but i want to keep most of the passes on the ground?

Thanks so much for ur help! Silva is my favorite in reality...

Play villa as complete striker with support.

For your crossing and passing concerns, tick crossing down to rarely for everyone, and out of the game try to teach them moves "play a simple passing game"

as for your short vs direct issue, make your creative and intelligent players, and the playmaker, play something between mixed and direct, and let all the other players play short passes. also im not sure if box to box and ball winning fit your two CMs, but remeber for each role it shows you what attributes are best for the role, and that really helps, so try to select each role for a player, and just see which fits the best.

sorry if this wasnt clear, hope it helps. feel free to ask.

Play villa as complete striker with support.<-- wt will be the impact afterwards?
I tried villa for complete (attack) and poacher, but seems adv. fw is his best pos in my save.

So that means i should play short passing instead of direct, right? let me try and give u an update later today =]

for the 2 mcs, i really do think they are under-performing too. Kallstorm got better points coz he score quite a lot of goals, but i don't think he is doing a great job in the CM part. And I was wondering why my Vidal was so weak in tackling... my fd use him and got an average of 6-7 tackles per game (2-3 for me...)
Do u think ball winning + box to box would work? Or else any suggestions thanks?

For attributes vs role, i do concern that and most of my players' role are set based on that. But some didn't work out (vidal / silva), that's why i wonder if its the tactics of the team as a whole that went wrong... thanks!

Play villa as complete striker with support.<-- wt will be the impact afterwards?
I tried villa for complete (attack) and poacher, but seems adv. fw is his best pos in my save.

So that means i should play short passing instead of direct, right? let me try and give u an update later today =]

for the 2 mcs, i really do think they are under-performing too. Kallstorm got better points coz he score quite a lot of goals, but i don't think he is doing a great job in the CM part. And I was wondering why my Vidal was so weak in tackling... my fd use him and got an average of 6-7 tackles per game (2-3 for me...)
Do u think ball winning + box to box would work? Or else any suggestions thanks?

For attributes vs role, i do concern that and most of my players' role are set based on that. But some didn't work out (vidal / silva), that's why i wonder if its the tactics of the team as a whole that went wrong... thanks!

Well Villa as a complete with support will play as lone striker but he wont be isolateed, and will come deep to get the ball, which is good because if you play him with attack duty he can get isolated from the midfield and thats bad.

for your passing style, id say put short as thats what i do, but sometimes, esp against weaker teams and on long pitches with space to exploit, use direct. but short is good because it keeps the possession better between your players, and it also lowers all your players passing to shorter but it still says "mixed", so its not too short. but as i said, go through each of your players, and make them all short passing EXCEPT the creative and playmaking players, let them play direct because you need them to find killer balls.
a
nd ball wining and box to box isnt a good combo in my opinion, sinec you only have 2 MCs make at least one of them a plain central midfielder. Also make sure the player with highest CREATIVITY and FLAIR is your playmaker.

the best way is to experiment and see what works best for your team

Last edited:
thanks so much, Gooner.

I will try the new tactic with ur suggestions tonight (Hong Kong time for me...)!

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:29 PM ----------

Salute!

The short passing game did help a lot in ruling the tempo. The team now perform much more consistently. (The defenders may do some stupid passes sometimes but they are quick enough to recover from the mistake!)

With a better control of the ball, the attacking players performs better as well. I tried asking Villa to be a supporting complete fw and he didn't disappoint me. Getting from 7.0 - 7.5 points for the 3 games he played. But funny stuff - he got 3 assists in 3 games without scoring, completely turned to a different player in just 3 games what a versatility! Actually he do have chances but he can't get them quite well (maybe just back from injury)

Anyway, the team play quite a lot better as a whole now! i don't like winning with 1 - 2 star players performing well, i would rather pay more time investigating my team tactics instead of bargaining in the transfer market. thanks so much for your help, Gooner!

Cheers!

thanks so much, Gooner.

I will try the new tactic with ur suggestions tonight (Hong Kong time for me...)!

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:29 PM ----------

Salute!

The short passing game did help a lot in ruling the tempo. The team now perform much more consistently. (The defenders may do some stupid passes sometimes but they are quick enough to recover from the mistake!)

With a better control of the ball, the attacking players performs better as well. I tried asking Villa to be a supporting complete fw and he didn't disappoint me. Getting from 7.0 - 7.5 points for the 3 games he played. But funny stuff - he got 3 assists in 3 games without scoring, completely turned to a different player in just 3 games what a versatility! Actually he do have chances but he can't get them quite well (maybe just back from injury)

Anyway, the team play quite a lot better as a whole now! i don't like winning with 1 - 2 star players performing well, i would rather pay more time investigating my team tactics instead of bargaining in the transfer market. thanks so much for your help, Gooner!

Cheers!

Very glad I was able to help make a difference, cheers :)

Problem arises again for Villa, as he's getting a goal drought for 400 minutes already.

Is it not suitable for Villa to play a lone forward as his heading ability is weak? He just got around 6.0 points per game for me in the last 5 matches...

And my team now dictated the midfield with short passing, however they can't do through killer balls as i expected... i think the major reason was - Villa is outnumbered by opponent defense...

So confused now, they seems to be jammed in the middle of the pitch with no idea how to make scoring opportunities...

play:
4-2-3-1
fluid
shorter passing
more creative
more pressing
zonal
roaming
drill crosses

back line
FBs: auto
CB: one defend/ one cover
MCs: kallstrom deep lying playmaker defend, vidal ball winning mid support.
AML AMR winger/attack
AMC adv playmaker attack
FC; treaquartista

use the touchline shouts, thats what they are there for. its definitely possible to play a short passing game with killer balls, i know cos thats how my united side plays

Last edited:
do you still have Zigic mate ?

Sold at 10mil... everytime my players upfront are out-numbered and need someone big guy to get the ball for us, i think of him =[

i got old Liedson though, with around 15 jump & heading..

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

play:
4-2-3-1
fluid
shorter passing
more creative
more pressing
zonal
roaming
drill crosses

back line
FBs: auto
CB: one defend/ one cover
MCs: kallstrom deep lying playmaker defend, vidal ball winning mid support.
AML AMR winger/attack
AMC adv playmaker attack
FC; treaquartista

use the touchline shouts, thats what they are there for. its definitely possible to play a short passing game with killer balls, i know cos thats how my united side plays

will it be ineffective to play winger if my fw is a shorter one like Villa?

actually from viewing the highlights, i find my players holding the ball too much and get stucked. Should i ask them to run with ball less often? or set a quicker tempo?
Its a continuous problem - if i play short passing, they get stucked; if i play direct passing, they lose headers and... possession...

mata and joaquin dont have great weak feet, so playing as inside forward limits thek anyway. you could try them as adv playmakers, but you have to test it for yourself. i cant tell you who it will work out. though if villa isnt getting enough of the ball, set his wing play to normal so he stays fairly central,

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

they are best as wingers because they have supreme pace and crossing ability

mata and joaquin dont have great weak feet, so playing as inside forward limits thek anyway. you could try them as adv playmakers, but you have to test it for yourself. i cant tell you who it will work out. though if villa isnt getting enough of the ball, set his wing play to normal so he stays fairly central,

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

they are best as wingers because they have supreme pace and crossing ability

Yup. And two inside fws bring congestion too. Let me try Mata as inside FW and Joaquin as WInger, to see if there will be any improvement.

I've asked Villa to move into channels now, to keep him running and find space. pros and cons?

by the way, my other midfielders are:

MC - Silva - adv. playmaker support
MC - Kallstorm - central mid support
DM - Vidal - DM support

any suggestions? thanks.

It's possible that the other teams have adapted to your tactics, it happens to me from time to time, I just change up my formation and play style, I have about 3 tactical settings I rotate through, when one stops working, just switch them.
Mata is brilliant for me in my West Ham save as AML set as winger-attack in a 4-2-3-1 formation, technically 4-3-3 but AMR/L and striker, with AMC and 2 MC.
Try using Silva as attacking mid-attack, and Villa as poacher, with target-man setting run onto ball, and Silva as playmaker as well as one of your MC set as through-ball often.

Who's your ST in West ham? I think two wingers work better with a tall forward.

Silva didn't work well as AMC as my AMR/L are both inside forwards... I don't wanna set Mata & Joaquin as wingers as even how good they cross the ball, Villa won't win the header =[

Who's your ST in West ham? I think two wingers work better with a tall forward.

Silva didn't work well as AMC as my AMR/L are both inside forwards... I don't wanna set Mata & Joaquin as wingers as even how good they cross the ball, Villa won't win the header =[

Hehehe Lukaku............ ;) I used to use 2 strikers, with Lukaku and Zarate, but Zarate is injured for 6-8 months, so I altered to a 1 striker formation. Zarate scored many, many headers (along with Verratti) when I set the crosses to drill crosses aimed at near post, and they're not the tallest cookies out lol. This, I've found, suits players like Zarate, Defoe, Villa, who aren't as tall, but who are quick with good pitch awareness. But also you could try the through ball thing, with someone like Villa that should work a treat, especially if you set Silva, Joaquin and Mata to playmakers, and put their individual settings to through ball often.

Hehehe Lukaku............ ;) I used to use 2 strikers, with Lukaku and Zarate, but Zarate is injured for 6-8 months, so I altered to a 1 striker formation. Zarate scored many, many headers (along with Verratti) when I set the crosses to drill crosses aimed at near post, and they're not the tallest cookies out lol. This, I've found, suits players like Zarate, Defoe, Villa, who aren't as tall, but who are quick with good pitch awareness. But also you could try the through ball thing, with someone like Villa that should work a treat, especially if you set Silva, Joaquin and Mata to playmakers, and put their individual settings to through ball often.

Right! And i can set a box 2 box midfielder who may run into the box and do the headers as well. Let me try tonight and updates u later =p

I am thinking if i set Silva as AMC, can i pull mata and joaquin a bit backwards to MR/L instead? and two MCs (central mid + box 2 box).
This provide more space for the wingers to run, and help passing the balls forward to Silva sometimes, as Silva is the playmaker.

How many goals Villa scored ?

Use him as complete striker with Mata, Silva and Joaquin supporting him... If you have some money, you should buy some defensive players to bring some defensive quality to the team, like Otamendi, David Luiz, Dodo...

Villa needs a partner mate, and put Silva as trequartista to support him, and Villa as poacher, Get another good striker, a guy with high strength and jumping, if you have money buy Dzeko, if not buy Lukaku he should be cheap