Devians

Reaction score
Always have been using a readymade tactics and now deciding to make one but got confused between the roles and i need some clarification on player roles. I have just started it so i have no understanding of it. there are some issues
like 1> Differnece between Limited Defender and Central Defender
2> Difference between Anchor Man, Defensive Midfielder and Regista
3> Difference between Central Midfielder and Box to Box Midfielder
4> Difference between Winger and Wideman
5> Difference between Limited Fullback and Full Back
6> Difference between Inside Forward and Wide Target Man
7> Difference between Shadow Striker, Trequisata and Enghance
8> Differnece between Poacher, Target Man and Trequisata
9> Differnece between Advance Forward and Complete Forward
10> Differnece between Deep Lying Forward, False Nine and Defensive Forward

go on your tactics, choose the role you want to know about, then move your mouse away & hover over the player again, the description comes up

Oh ok, i learn something about them but cant make my mind on some things
Which role is better I want a simple defensive midfield which will just protect the back-line, anchor man or defensive midfielder??
Which role is better if i want the AM to be the main goalscorer, Trequartista or Shadow Striker.
And in which role a striker is likely to be in a position to score more goal, I mean which plays most top upfront near the six yard box, A complete forward or poacher???

Last edited:
Did you read any of the role descriptions either on FM or the linked site? It'll be extremely clear if you do.

Anchor Man: It mentions in the description that he anchors the defence and won't venture from his position much.
Defensive Midfielder: It mentions in the description that he protects the defence by closing down a lot.

Which do you want? Both will protect the defence, just in different ways.

Same with the AMs. Read the descriptions. The first line for a Shadow Striker: The shadow striker operates as the side's main goalscoring threat. Clear. Trequartista is a playmaker.

Your striker question is too vague.Both can score plenty of goals. It depends on your tactical setup.

I read the description but I am confused because in the tactics which I use the Anchor Man sometime go on to the edge of the box. Same with defensive midfield.
It was a confusion in AM as Trequartista is also a role for Striker so I thought he can be goal scoring threat too.

And for the striker i meant who is
likely to be in a position to score more goal, I mean which plays most top upfront near the six yard box like Costa

I read the description but I am confused because in the tactics which I use the Anchor Man sometime go on to the edge of the box. Same with defensive midfield.
It was a confusion in AM as Trequartista is also a role for Striker so I thought he can be goal scoring threat too.

likely to be in a position to score more goal, I mean which plays most top upfront near the six yard box like Costa

you might need a slightly more rigid tactic or go on the specific player & tell them to hold their position

If your Anchor Man is pulling that wide, you're either instructing your team to Hassle Opponents (which doesn't make sense) or you're very open on the wings so he has to go cover there.

A trequartista is a goal scoring threat too. You asked about an AM being the main goal scorer. That's a SS as per the description.

Again, descriptions will help you. If you're looking for a striker who's camped out in the 6 yard area, you're looking for a Poacher.

If your Anchor Man is pulling that wide, you're either instructing your team to Hassle Opponents (which doesn't make sense) or you're very open on the wings so he has to go cover there.

A trequartista is a goal scoring threat too. You asked about an AM being the main goal scorer. That's a SS as per the description.

Again, descriptions will help you. If you're looking for a striker who's camped out in the 6 yard area, you're looking for a Poacher.

I made him a Half back(after reading the instructions) and now he stays deep only.
And is Poacher best for a possession system with inside forwards??(i have a regen that plays like ronaldo and is the main goal-scoring threat but i want my attacking midfield and striker too to score goal)

The poacher description tells you he won't be involved in build up play much. You have to decide whether you can live with that in a possession system.

The poacher description tells you he won't be involved in build up play much. You have to decide whether you can live with that in a possession system.

So sorry didnt paid attention to it
Thx a lot