Need help with windows media player.

Grant

Reaction score
Whenever i try to open an AVI and some other files windows media player shuts down. Also whenever i try to stream videos on the net most of the time my internet browser shuts down. Anyone know what is wrong?

update or downgrade WMP.

Avoid using it as much as possible, get VLC player for playing video files that are saved on your comp, it plays everything and onyl use WMP for streaming

seconded. I've used VLC for a while now and as Gregor said I only use WMP for streaming.

Try running a virus scan or spyware scan. Maybe that's what's causing the problem.

ok sorry....watch **** with a different progam

Last edited:
Does it ever give you an error report?

What's VLC?

"VLC - the cross-platform media player and streaming server

VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network."

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Ive got WMP 11 but the same happened with previous versions. I downloaded VLC but then my computer crashed and Ive spent two days trying to repair it, I have repaired it but lost all of the stuff on my secondary hard drive so im not trying VLC again (even though it probably wasn't that that ****** my computer)

Have you scanned for viruses? Sounds very much like a virus to be honest.

Got it sorted out now, cheers for the help lads but I think i'll just live with the media player thats slightly dodgy.