Reaction score
Just need some help regarding English players im starting a new save with my boyhood club Stoke City.
Im a 10yrs+ season ticket holder and with mark Hughes latest shambolic delving in the market been poor ive come up with a challenge to set myself in FM and that's where i have to win everything while only buying young English talents and using my own youth intake.
Not spending a penny in the foreign market as i think to many clubs in the country are sending to many scouts over seas to find talents when i think dwelling in the lower leagues of our own country is world class potential that are not being given the chances in the best division in the world.

As seen today with Everton taking on man city and ademola lookman and tom davies getting on the scoresheet if you give young players chances they can turn out decent players (IE Kane Alle Rashford)

So im just asking if anyone has come across any world class English players in the lower leagues you took a risk with and they have made the step up drastically.
[h=1]​[/h]

Just need some help regarding English players im starting a new save with my boyhood club Stoke City.
Im a 10yrs+ season ticket holder and with mark Hughes latest shambolic delving in the market been poor ive come up with a challenge to set myself in FM and that's where i have to win everything while only buying young English talents and using my own youth intake.
Not spending a penny in the foreign market as i think to many clubs in the country are sending to many scouts over seas to find talents when i think dwelling in the lower leagues of our own country is world class potential that are not being given the chances in the best division in the world.

As seen today with Everton taking on man city and ademola lookman and tom davies getting on the scoresheet if you give young players chances they can turn out decent players (IE Kane Alle Rashford)

So im just asking if anyone has come across any world class English players in the lower leagues you took a risk with and they have made the step up drastically.

not in the lower leagues but ro shaun williams suprised me for someone with very basic stats has fitted into my 1st team as a rotational player at ease and majority of times i dont concede

There are a few players with solid potential below the EPL. Players like Teddy Bishop and Andre Dozzel (Ipswich), Rico Henry (Brentford), Jordan Williams (Huddersfield), Dom Iorfa (Wolves), Joe Rankin-Constello (Blackburn)... They mostly have variable potential so it might be quite high in one save, mediocre in another. In addition, none are truly "wonderkids", in the sense that they aren't world beaters from day one, fully capable of stepping into almost any EPL side seamlessly. They need development. As a whole, the Championship thru League Two are more likely to be mined for solid role players than superstar world class talents.

A major source for good to really good young English players is the big clubs. Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and even Tottenham all tend to have some really promising English youth talent, many of whom don't end up getting a chance at those clubs. Just like in reality. So shortlist lots of them, watch for free transfers and transfer listed youngsters. That is probably more likely to land you a high promising young English talent than mining the lower leagues.

One trick that can work nicely is to check off Add Players to Playable Teams, which will end up filling out the youth and reserve squads of playable teams with first-day newgens. Not sure how much of an impact that will have in England, where youth squads tend to be fairly full. But in Germany, it landed me 3 youth players of 150+ PA in the youth squad of the club I am managing as soon as I started the save.

Last edited:
There are a few players with solid potential below the EPL. Players like Teddy Bishop and Andre Dozzel (Ipswich), Rico Henry (Brentford), Jordan Williams (Huddersfield), Dom Iorfa (Wolves), Joe Rankin-Constello (Blackburn)... They mostly have variable potential so it might be quite high in one save, mediocre in another. In addition, none are truly "wonderkids", in the sense that they aren't world beaters from day one, fully capable of stepping into almost any EPL side seamlessly. They need development. As a whole, the Championship thru League Two are more likely to be mined for solid role players than superstar world class talents.

A major source for good to really good young English players is the big clubs. Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and even Tottenham all tend to have some really promising English youth talent, many of whom don't end up getting a chance at those clubs. Just like in reality. So shortlist lots of them, watch for free transfers and transfer listed youngsters. That is probably more likely to land you a high promising young English talent than mining the lower leagues.

One trick that can work nicely is to check off Add Players to Playable Teams, which will end up filling out the youth and reserve squads of playable teams with first-day newgens. Not sure how much of an impact that will have in England, where youth squads tend to be fairly full. But in Germany, it landed me 3 youth players of 150+ PA in the youth squad of the club I am managing as soon as I started the save.

im half way through my first season just getting into january, and ive found ademola lookman as a beast as a IF on the left training him up as a AP in the centre and he banging them in for fun made a few other decent signing in Mowett from leed iorfa already took glen johnson place kortney Hause from wolves and targett from southampton signed Pickford for a bargain 1.8 million to cover butland as he was out till mid december we are sitting in 6th place comfortable.

looking to sign wil hughes in jan including glen whelan part of the deal sold arnautivic for just over 32 mill to PSG and Sold Diouf to Madrid for 28 million so i couldn't really say no to that amount of money for mediocre players.

In terms of specific names, the players I've had success on my current Liverpool save with have already been mentioned - Iorfa, Dozzell, Will Hughes are all solid regulars.

Reece Oxford (WHU), Sessegnon (FUL), Ojo (LIV), Abraham (CHE) are all pretty good options too.

I assume you're already scouting the National U21 / U18 teams, you can occasionally pick up good potential there, especially from teams outside the Premiership.

One thing I also do is, on the day of the youth intake, go and look at the youth that other teams have come through - you can guarantee that there will be kids with high potential coming into the top teams....whether you can drag them away is a different matter! I assume it depends on your scouting knowledge, but some will have scouting stats already - some will need to be scouted.