Shaneckham

Reaction score
Im playing a poacher up top on his own got a creative player behind him who i get the ball to reguarly, so the poacher is not short of balls to run onto. Iv been playing with the instructions on the poacher as they are set to run from deep often, do you think that should be set to rarely? I have been putting it to sometimes so he will chop and change, my poacher score often enough i just want to know which inastructions get the best out of that role?? Any advice would be good thanks.

4-4-1-1 shaneckhams clever football

Last edited:
Normal is fine. Rarely may make him less able to receive the ball and shy away from it more in hope of a stronger service in terms of passing. You can try it, but I have not really experienced this myself.

Normal is fine. Rarely may make him less able to receive the ball and shy away from it more in hope of a stronger service in terms of passing. You can try it, but I have not really experienced this myself.

No thats good stuff mate, thats what i thought. I think run from deep often means he wont be where i need him to often i think, nut i may be wrong.

i usually play pochers on the side and have their run with ball normal, run from deep often, wide play cut inside

i usually play pochers on the side and have their run with ball normal, run from deep often, wide play cut inside

That sounds interesting, how does that work for you do they score alot from that position?

I also have creative AMC behind my poacher, also my MC and my inside forwards are creative enough, and I want my poacher to get into one-on-ones with the keeper, running towards goal and getting the ball on the run, rather than to feet and starting dribbling past the defenders, so run from deep often and run with ball sometimes, so that there is always somebody ready to break the line.

I also have creative AMC behind my poacher, also my MC and my inside forwards are creative enough, and I want my poacher to get into one-on-ones with the keeper, running towards goal and getting the ball on the run, rather than to feet and starting dribbling past the defenders, so run from deep often and run with ball sometimes, so that there is always somebody ready to break the line.

I mite give that a try then mate cheers, il try it now see how it goes

That sounds interesting, how does that work for you do they score alot from that position?
yeah the player gets shots , between 2 and 6 a game
only bad thing right now my poacher is in a bad form and misses a lot of 1 on 1 and his shot/goal rate is 11% lol, but if u got a good AMC u should get shots and goals

I tried it out seems to work well got to hand to you mate, it defiently get the striker moving a peeling off the last defender better. Only thing is sometimes you get 5, 6 or more clear cuts and dont score them i hate that about this game but other than that top advice cheers mate.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

yeah the player gets shots , between 2 and 6 a game
only bad thing right now my poacher is in a bad form and misses a lot of 1 on 1 and his shot/goal rate is 11% lol, but if u got a good AMC u should get shots and goals

Yer i find that the poacher misses to many and even when they have top finishing, composure, decisions they still seem to miss loads of one on ones clear cuts.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I play my poacher with little creative freedom, do you think he would play better with more? Are they more likely to to move from there position with more creative freedom?

i tend not to play a poacher as a lone stiker as i find they perform best with a partner.
try and get him to learn the "try and beat the offside trap" ppm

Run From Deep is quite misleading.

Having it on OFTEN results in your player coming deep and picking the ball up.
Whereas having it on Rarely has your player sitting up top and not doing much for the team :)
Normal balances this Obviously.

I tend to have poachers with rarely. so they sit on the last man constantly ;)

Run From Deep is quite misleading.

Having it on OFTEN results in your player coming deep and picking the ball up.
Whereas having it on Rarely has your player sitting up top and not doing much for the team :)
Normal balances this Obviously.

Yer that's what I thought, iv have had good results with the one poacher alone up top. But I just wonder if you give him creative freedom and maybe roam from position would it lead him from his main role, have you tried this?
I tend to have poachers with rarely. so they sit on the last man constantly ;)

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

i tend not to play a poacher as a lone stiker as i find they perform best with a partner.
try and get him to learn the "try and beat the offside trap" ppm

Yer I have trained him to do that, scores loads of offside goals lol bit of a pain. How do u set your poacher up?

I was just reading someone else's report on the poacher. Their theory on this was -

The poacher is someone like Filippo Inzaghi.

Everyone knows strikers like Filippo Inzaghi, Gerd Muller, Romario, Gabriel Batistuta, Cristian Vieri, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Hugo Sanchez and Michael Owen. They are all born goal-scorers with a similar playing-style.

They are goal poachers who tend to stay forward at all times and work in and around the penalty area to ****** goals. These players are known for their positional sense, predatory instincts, excellent reflexes and finishing ability.

These men have almost predator-like instincts, stalking a defence until it slips up and pouncing on every opportunity. He’s what the British would call a fox-in-the-box, the sort of striker who plies his trade based on intelligence and plies it well, scoring many goals.

These men have the ability to remain patient and focused throughout a match. They know a defence will slip up once during ninety minutes and when they do, they will be ready for it, ready to punish the defence for their moment of weakness.

These players are constantly playing on the edge, playing on the shoulder of the last defender. They tend to get caught off-side quite a bit, but when they’re through, they will put the ball away.

If I could name one weakness in the typical style of the fox-in-the-box, it’s not even one he can be held accountable for. He’s relying on service. Players like Batistuta, Huntelaar and Inzaghi are not the kind of striker to create their own chances, like say a Zlatan Ibrahimovic. These guys need that good cross or brilliant through-ball to score his goals, so when his team-mates don’t deliver, neither can they.

Looking at the stats that are vital for this striker, I want to start out with the mental stats. There is no intuition stat to reflect the predatory instinct of the fox-in-the-box, but a combination of different mental stats gives you a proper idea of what it should look like.

First of all, you need this player to have composure. It’s pretty logical when you think about it. When this striker appears all alone in front of the keeper, he needs to keep his cool and just finish the chance he has been given. Composure ensures that he does.

We also want a player with flair. He must be able to do the unexpected. Can he do things that will surprise a defence? Flair determines a player’s ability to do just that.

Regarding their ability to find the space behind the defence, we must look towards attributes like anticipation and off the ball. Can a player read the game and anticipate on situations by positioning himself well?

You also don’t want your fox to dally or dwell on the ball. This gives a defence time to recover, which is exactly what we don’t want happening. A high stat for decisions is therefore important. A player needs to make a decision in a split-second and act upon it.

Technical attributes are less important, as there are only two really important technical attributes for a fox-in-the-box. Because these players have to operate in a tight space, it is absolutely vital that their technique and first touch is superb. If he can’t control the ball properly in a tight space, he won’t be able to function properly.

Last but not least we have a look at the physical stats. Basically, pace and acceleration are the most important ones. These players are playing on the edge of off-side, so they need their speed to get away from defenders.

All in all, the following attributes are vital for a fox-in-the-box:
- Off the Ball:
- Anticipation:
- Composure:
- Flair:
- Decisions:
- First Touch;
- Finishing;
- Pace;
- Acceleration.

Setting tactical instructions that force our fox to play as part of the team will not get the best out of him. This means he has a lot of customised instructions in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

Since you want this player to do his own thing upfront, I recommend giving him a high mentality combined with a free role and a lot of creative freedom, so he can wander around looking for space to exploit.

I would also highly recommend setting the striker as a target man combined with the run onto ball instruction. It’s really just common sense and it seems like the best way to get the best out of your fox-in-the-box.

Regarding other instructions, I’d set run with ball to often. The guy needs to exploit space, so he yes, he will have to run with the ball quite a bit. This means setting run with ball to often is logical.

Through balls should be set to rarely. This guy is not on the pitch to pass the ball, but to finish chances. He should be on the receiving end of a through ball, he is not the one giving the pass.

The guy shouldn’t be bothered with crossing the ball, so don’t touch the crossing settings. Same goes for the hold up ball option. This player is meant to act fast, not delay play.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Quite an interesting read im going to test this theory of high mentality and freedom and i will see how it works.

Dont know if it works properly because ive only tried it a few times... but before a match look at your opponents defence and look for if any of their defenders have low concentration, decisions or composure and in OI have them marked or closed down regularly.

Like i said i've tried it a few times in pre-season but i cant say for definete it works.

Dont know if it works properly because ive only tried it a few times... but before a match look at your opponents defence and look for if any of their defenders have low concentration, decisions or composure and in OI have them marked or closed down regularly.

Like i said i've tried it a few times in pre-season but i cant say for definete it works.

Yer i will try that out now see how it works.

I don't actually think that with run from deep often poacher first drops deep, at least together with attacking mentality mine seems to be on the shoulder of the last defender.

I have similar thoughts that what Shaneckham posted, Inzaghi or Berbatov kind of player. But what I don't agree on is the free role. If you want your striker to have free role, then Advanced forward should work better, but as you want your poacher to be in the middle, where he scores goals, I wouldn't recommend using roam from position and high creative freedom, as it makes him to drift out wide or drop deep, and you don't want that, you want him to be as near to goal as possible. Some creative freedom is good, so that he finds some space to exploit. High creative freedom suits well if player can also create chances for himself, but then it isn't a poacher-like player anymore.

I don't actually think that with run from deep often poacher first drops deep, at least together with attacking mentality mine seems to be on the shoulder of the last defender.

I have similar thoughts that what Shaneckham posted, Inzaghi or Berbatov kind of player. But what I don't agree on is the free role. If you want your striker to have free role, then Advanced forward should work better, but as you want your poacher to be in the middle, where he scores goals, I wouldn't recommend using roam from position and high creative freedom, as it makes him to drift out wide or drop deep, and you don't want that, you want him to be as near to goal as possible. Some creative freedom is good, so that he finds some space to exploit. High creative freedom suits well if player can also create chances for himself, but then it isn't a poacher-like player anymore.

Yer i agree that werent my post i found it and put it onto here from a forum from 2 years ago just thought it was an interesting read.
View attachment 167955 That how i play my poacher, the player behind him tevez my target man, so i get the ball to him he sets up the poacher scores does what ever works well for me. But i agree with you poacher shouldnt be roaming, i tried out what that guy in that post was saying and didnt have the best results. FileSwap.com : 4-4-1-1 SHANECKHAMS CLEVER FOOTBALL (Man City, Nov 2015).tac download free Can download my tactic of here if you fancy trying out anyone.

This thread is also an interesting read on motivating your players -
sticky.gif
WoIfsongs teamtalk guide.

Last edited:
My poacher is almost just like that, run from deep often and run with ball sometimes, so that he makes the pass if there is chance rather than being too selfish. Also passing is short, but exept those things it is the same. My striker scored 38 goals in league last season when whe gained promotion through play-offs (6th spot in the league) in our first championship season. Now facing Liverpool, ManU, Man City and Arsenal in consecutive games, so having rough time up here, hopefully we can stay in premier league and strengthen the squad with TV money =D

My poacher is almost just like that, run from deep often and run with ball sometimes, so that he makes the pass if there is chance rather than being too selfish. Also passing is short, but exept those things it is the same. My striker scored 38 goals in league last season when whe gained promotion through play-offs (6th spot in the league) in our first championship season. Now facing Liverpool, ManU, Man City and Arsenal in consecutive games, so having rough time up here, hopefully we can stay in premier league and strengthen the squad with TV money =D

Yer i think we can agree that if you are going to use the poacher then thats how you should set him up! Good luck with your game mate and cheers for the input, theres some good stuff been discussed in this thread.