DaleBoy4

Reaction score
Hi,

Just would like some direct feedback on a few of my tactics. Lately, I seem to get it spot on or horribly wrong!

TACTIC ONE:
The basics: 4-2-3-1, Attacking, fluid.

GK: Sweeper Keeper.
RB: Wing Back, Support.
CB: Central defender, Defend.
LB: Wing Back, Support.
CM: Ball-winning midfielder, defend.
CM: Deep-lying play-maker, support.
AR: Winger, attack.
AL: Inside forward, support.
AC: Attacking midfielder, support.
ST: Target man, Attack.

Instructions: Short passing, pass into space, whip crosses, push up, close down, be more disciplined, play narrow, use offside trap.

TACTIC TWO:
The basics: 4-3-3, Counter, fluid.

GK: Goalkeeper.
RB: Wing back, support.
LB: Wing back, support.
DM: Half-back.
CM: Deep-lying playmaker, support.
CM: B2B, Support.
AR: Winger, attack.
AL: Inside forward, support.
ST: Deep-lying forward, Attack.

Instructions: Direct passes, pass into space, whip crosses, drop deeper, close down, be more disciplined

Thanks in advance, be as brutal as you like!

Are you having issues with either tactic?

The most obvious thing that stands out in the 4-2-3-1 is the lack of a holding midfielder to protect the defence. A BWM will not do that.

In the second tactic, why do you have a half-back? The point of a half-back is to be 3 at the back in possession and to retain possession. The key thing is that it can allow both fullbacks to be very attacking.

well, wingbacks would function best combined with AP-ers....and AP-ers would work well as creators in a creator-scorer partnership....meaning I would rather use them in the counter tactic. Also, I would use structured team shape for counter and narrower width, to keep those direct passess into space aimed at poacher...I would also use limited cds and attacking duty midfielders...fluid team shape combined with less agressive mentality would suit a tiki taka style more, not counter...regarding the first tactic, i usually think of attacking as something where i let go of control and let players express themselves and roam and cover each other, so I would either use control mentality, or keep attack but switch to very fluid, in which case roaming roles like treq, raumduters, complete forwards would be needed. You do not need to play narrower here, target man role if used will always be the focal point, you might aswell play wider to stretch them further since you are pushing up, might help you score.

My main problem seemed to be leaking goals. I know playing attacking, that seems a strange thing to complain about, but it was more the TYPE of goals I conceded. Exposure, bad marking etc. Wondered if it was something in my set up. I've immediately changed the BWM to CM (defend). Hopefully help shore things up.

Great advice Igneos, I've adjusted and tweaked my tactics accordingly. Control with a 'Play Wider' setting seems to do the job a bit better.