NEED TESTERS Claudio Ranieri Leicester 4-4-2

rrj2415

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm going to be posting my Leicester city emulation tactic(s) seeing as I am from Leicester it is really nice to see them doing so well and I have tried to emulate that. I had made a save with Leicester trying to emulate their play and had came third in the league a point behind Man city who won the league and 3 points behind the winners Arsenal. However I wasn't entirely happy at the start of the second season as I allowed mahrez, vardy and drinkwater to leave without really replacing them well enough.

Also as vardy was the third top scorer in the league scoring 19 goals, I was happy with that however I thought there were a LOT more goals he could have had and he seemed to miss some very easy chances on a consistent basis over the season.

This is where I would like some people to test my tactic which I will definitely upload within the next hour as I am on my way home now but there are a few pointers as to what I'd like the testers to look out for:

1. The playing style/tactic/player roles/TI's/PI's, just say whether you think these seem similar to how they should be
2. Jamie vardys finishing, I'd like to know whether he is an awful finisher on everybody's save, or if you have ways of which I could see improvements in his finishing.
3. Third and finally, schmeichels distribution, this isn't a massive concern however I would like him to try and do exactly what he did for Jamie Vardy's goal this weekend against West Ham, he used a long throw to mahrez to start a counter attack. He does have good throwing and even the PPM uses long throw to start counter attack and I set his distribution to the flanks, distribute quicker and throw it long which in my opinion coupled with his ppm would mean he would throw it out wide to albrighton or mahrez as quickly as possible however I have never once seen him do this he just decides to punt it long.

The final part of this thread before I, able to upload my tactic will be some general questions that I'd like to be answered just to see people's opinion and I may or may not include them as changes in my tactic depending on the answers

kante centre midfield support or box to box? And would you give him the PI to "get further forward" or not?

drinkwater centre midfield defend or deep lying playmaker defend? (I know he will sometimes get forward and leave Kante to hold however for match engine purposes I am going to leave drinkwater holding unless you think I should allow them to swap positions)?

okazaki more realistic playing in a striker position or an attacking midfielder position?

and this is a very debatable question, what mentality would you play on on a general basis?

I would really appreciate any replies and and questions you would like to ask. As I said the tactic will be uploaded shortly :)

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME FOR ANY SCREENSHOTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE AND LET ME KNOW IF YOURE INTERESTED IN TESTING MY TACTIC FOR ME, many thanks.

in my leicester emulation i use counter mentality.. i use okazaki as defensive forward-d (ST RC) tight-marking the DMC or MC LC, kante (MCL) tight-marking the MCR and drinkwater (MCR) tight marking the MC LC or the AM if its being marked by okazaki. my central players are instructed to close down a bit less than the wide ones. except okazaki ofc who is a defensive forward. vardy misses a lot for me as well, but its the f^&*in ME. okazaki that has even lower finishing cant score at all, i know that he will miss when he is about to shoot and so he does. also albrighton on the left as wide midfielder A and mahrez as playmaker on the right with go further forward, fullbacks on support and hold position for simpson. doesnt work like the real thing though, these incredible control low tempo tactics around will earn the league for you much easier. but its the opposite of what leicester are doing in the field.

in my leicester emulation i use counter mentality.. i use okazaki as defensive forward-d (ST RC) tight-marking the DMC or MC LC, kante (MCL) tight-marking the MCR and drinkwater (MCR) tight marking the MC LC or the AM if its being marked by okazaki. my central players are instructed to close down a bit less than the wide ones. except okazaki ofc who is a defensive forward. vardy misses a lot for me as well, but its the f^&*in ME. okazaki that has even lower finishing cant score at all, i know that he will miss when he is about to shoot and so he does. also albrighton on the left as wide midfielder A and mahrez as playmaker on the right with go further forward, fullbacks on support and hold position for simpson. doesnt work like the real thing though, these incredible control low tempo tactics around will earn the league for you much easier. but its the opposite of what leicester are doing in the field.

do you know how to sort out the keeper throwing the ball to the flanks? Just like he did for one of vardy's goals against west ham

do you know how to sort out the keeper throwing the ball to the flanks? Just like he did for one of vardy's goals against west ham

i guess the only things you can do about it is clear ball to flanks TI and gk distribute to flanks PI. although sometimes the wide players will defend deep in a defensive/counter mentality and the counter can not be triggered from the flanks. personally i dont use clear the ball to flanks, the goal with west ham is just one goal, many times you can see the ball cleared to vardy, he holds the ball, and then passes to the running from deep wide players. something like mixed, makes your team more unpredictable.

Hi guys I'm going to be posting my Leicester city emulation tactic(s) seeing as I am from Leicester it is really nice to see them doing so well and I have tried to emulate that. I had made a save with Leicester trying to emulate their play and had came third in the league a point behind Man city who won the league and 3 points behind the winners Arsenal. However I wasn't entirely happy at the start of the second season as I allowed mahrez, vardy and drinkwater to leave without really replacing them well enough.

Also as vardy was the third top scorer in the league scoring 19 goals, I was happy with that however I thought there were a LOT more goals he could have had and he seemed to miss some very easy chances on a consistent basis over the season.

This is where I would like some people to test my tactic which I will definitely upload within the next hour as I am on my way home now but there are a few pointers as to what I'd like the testers to look out for:

1. The playing style/tactic/player roles/TI's/PI's, just say whether you think these seem similar to how they should be
2. Jamie vardys finishing, I'd like to know whether he is an awful finisher on everybody's save, or if you have ways of which I could see improvements in his finishing.
3. Third and finally, schmeichels distribution, this isn't a massive concern however I would like him to try and do exactly what he did for Jamie Vardy's goal this weekend against West Ham, he used a long throw to mahrez to start a counter attack. He does have good throwing and even the PPM uses long throw to start counter attack and I set his distribution to the flanks, distribute quicker and throw it long which in my opinion coupled with his ppm would mean he would throw it out wide to albrighton or mahrez as quickly as possible however I have never once seen him do this he just decides to punt it long.

The final part of this thread before I, able to upload my tactic will be some general questions that I'd like to be answered just to see people's opinion and I may or may not include them as changes in my tactic depending on the answers

kante centre midfield support or box to box? And would you give him the PI to "get further forward" or not?

drinkwater centre midfield defend or deep lying playmaker defend? (I know he will sometimes get forward and leave Kante to hold however for match engine purposes I am going to leave drinkwater holding unless you think I should allow them to swap positions)?

okazaki more realistic playing in a striker position or an attacking midfielder position?

and this is a very debatable question, what mentality would you play on on a general basis?

I would really appreciate any replies and and questions you would like to ask. As I said the tactic will be uploaded shortly :)

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME FOR ANY SCREENSHOTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE AND LET ME KNOW IF YOURE INTERESTED IN TESTING MY TACTIC FOR ME, many thanks.

I'm interested in setting up a Leicester taking, so screenshots or better a tactic download would be good.

this is Ancelotti interview by a China sports web,talking about Leicester 442 :

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.sina.com.cn%2Fg%2Flaliga%2F2016-04-15%2Fdoc-ifxriqqv5731866.shtml&edit-text=

not sure you can understand the poor google translate or not

As a coach, a lot of people wanted me to analyze in detail the tactics used by Leicester City. Leicester City for excellent performance,

I see five key points:

rapid transfer, (rapid ball transfer ?)

create space by moving the offensive, (create space with attacking movement ?)

defensive and compact stations, (narrow & compact when defend ?)

in the restricted area to prevent the accumulation of rival wings of the players to form a shot,
(bus parking in the boxes,to prevent opponent player shot from wing ?)

holding each other and continue to oppress ball players.
always pressing the opponent player who have the ball.)

this is Ancelotti interview by a China sports web,talking about Leicester 442 :

https://translate.google.com/transl...16-04-15/doc-ifxriqqv5731866.shtml&edit-text=

not sure you can understand the poor google translate or not

& more from Ancelotti :

View attachment 157780

Defense and counter-attack:

is a classic 4-4-2 formation, Claudio Ranieri asked the team play compact & narrow.
difficult for opponent to breakthrough them.

Valdy sits up front, Okazaki Shinji behind him,will fallback to help the midfield when necessary.
Leicester City's goal is to reduce the distance between them as possible,
forcing the opponent to attack from the wings, and can only pass the ball into the box from both sides,
That why they bus parking players in the penalty area,that is almost impossible or is difficult to make a breakthrough.

Once Leicester City get the ball,the transition from defensive to attack are very fast.Players will make a long pass directly to Valdy for counterattack
.Valdy and Shinji Okazaki make attack run direct from central of the pitch,& respectively attract the defender to them,& make room for other teammate behide them.

Positional Attack and win the ball back:

If the counter attack does not work, they will pass the ball to Mahrez for “Positional Attack”.(something barca or
Bayern Munich always do)
IF Leicester lose the ball,Leicester will press the opponents player,& prevent opponents to make a attacking move.

When transition turn from attack to defend,Valdy is 1st line of defend,he will press the player who have the ball.
Kante and Drinkwater in midfield will support him.
& if they fail to get back the ball from that,they will all fallback & defend (bus parking).

All of these tactics are very effective, but also to Claudio Ranieri and his players are infinitely close to the Premiership champions, we will continue to monitor the performance of Leicester City, I wish everyone good luck.

i english is poor that all i can translate.

i don't know what word should i use for the "Positional Attack".

http://tacticalpedia.com/jogo-de-posicao-ideia-e-carateristicas-principais/

so its should be "Positional Play",some thing Guardiola always do.

“POSITIONAL PLAY”

The main concect of “Positional Play” is the short passing between near players followed by a longer pass to a far positioned and free player. “Find the distant and free player”. (Juanma Lillo)

Last edited:
Positional Play,so not easy to make a true Leicester tactic.

I can't find any download link for the tactic? is there any?